Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Caffeine, the drug

Started by The Mollusk, October 19, 2021, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've worked myself up to a nice five cup a day habit since I stopped drinking alcohol last year. On a subconscious level I think I'm possibly self harming to an extent.

Twit 2

Life without caffeine and nicotine would be unendurable. And it's already unendurable with it.

Ferris

Got one of them glass pot ones, now boshing 2 massive cups a day no worries.

Though weirdly I can forget to drink coffee for days/weeks at a time and not realize - it is essentially the only addictive substance I don't find addicting and I have no idea why.

Catalogue of ills

I can function without it but not at work, which is proof, if any were needed, that working is Unnatural and profoundly wrong. Reckon if my job was sweeping the street or bezzing around the place checking up on stuff I'd be ok, but my job involves reading stuff all day. Complicated stuff that I have to understand, on a screen.

I do get to write stuff as well, but obviously have to read what I'm writing and get the letters in the right order and not accidentally type "cunt" or other obscenities. Although I do sometimes have to type words like that, in fact only yesterday I had to type "cunt", which always gives a little thrill of transgression, but can't do that just for bantz which is why work is so tiring and why I need caffeine. HTH.

Lemming

Love caffeine and don't see any reason to stop drinking it. I've stopped before and it's pointless, for me at least - go through a fairly painful withdrawal headache and, on the other side of it, end up feeling exactly the same as you did before you quit except now you don't have your favourite drink anymore. It's not like coffee and energy drinks are financially crippling or anything, so as far as I can tell there's no reason at all to stop.

I have developed a Partridge-and-Toblerone-esque addiction to Monster in recent years though, drinking two at once (plus a coffee) to get a good effect because my caffeine tolerance is high enough that one can does nothing. Heart does feel a bit weird and palpitationy afterwards, but just because some teenager down in London gets in the news after drinking twelve at once and winding up in hospital doesn't mean it's anything to worry about. Remember that one toddler who drank so much Sunny D she turned orange and basically ruined everything for everyone by getting it taken off the shelves? Exactly.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

No hyperbole; I used to drink roughly a gallon of tea every day. I switched to coffee a couple of years ago and now I just have two cups in the morning.

It doesn't buzz me at all, it just alleviates the grogginess of waking up - most of which is probably caused by caffeine withdrawal anyway. I did think about quitting last year, but then the 'vid came along and I thought it might not be a great idea, what with the potential for mistaking symptoms. Also, I have come to genuinely enjoy the flavour (even though I mostly drink instant, like a pleb).

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Lemming on October 19, 2021, 04:09:54 PM
Love caffeine and don't see any reason to stop drinking it. I've stopped before and it's pointless, for me at least - go through a fairly painful withdrawal headache and, on the other side of it, end up feeling exactly the same as you did before you quit except now you don't have your favourite drink anymore.

one must imagine sisyphus happy

SpiderChrist

A mug of sweet strong black coffee and a spliff is the perfect way to start a Saturday

Managed to reduce my caffeine habit from 5 mugs before lunchtime to two. Do I feel better for it? Meh.

Noodle Lizard

I have one strong black coffee a day, and it's sort of a wildcard. I'll usually have it in the morning, but sometimes it'll pop up in the afternoon instead. So it's not a major habit compared to other people, but if I skip a day boy will my body let me hear about it. Since I don't consume caffeine in anything else, I'll get an absolutely horrible splitting headache after about 24 hours without it, and the only thing that seems to cure it is a coffee (or a Red Bull if I need it gone instantly). It happens every time I go more than a day without it. It's the most alarming withdrawal effect I've felt from anything, and I was a heavy smoker and drinker who has cold turkeyed both more than once.

I also don't really get "the buzz" people talk about, I feel like it has more of a placebo effect on me. Plus I like the taste. Perhaps I should switch to decaf.

Twit 2

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 19, 2021, 07:00:28 PM
A mug of sweet strong black coffee and a spliff is the perfect way to start a Saturday.
(Or a load of ketamine, then a bimble to a local caff for a fry-up, if you want a more bracing start.)

FTFY

TrenterPercenter

Caffeine's not a drug, it's a drink![nb]has anyone done that yet?[/nb]

Jerzy Bondov

Recently cut back to three caffeinated drinks a day, down from a constant stream of tea going directly into my mouth, stopping only to drink cup after cup of black coffee. Lost two family members in as many years to heart attacks and they both drank tea like water. My dad's heart was going a bit weird and he cut the caffeine and fixed it, so I thought I'd better get ahead of it and cut back. Feel like pure shit just want heart hing back

Jerzy Bondov

At first I found decaf tea tasted like dog bile but I've got used to it now and probably would struggle to tell the difference if I'm honest.

Lord Mandrake

It's a flavour/aroma and ritual thing for me rather than caffeine fix. Watching the moka pot steam and occasionally sizzle on the hob.

pancreas

>>HHAAA<<

coffee makes you sleepy!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHH!!!!

madhair60

I'm gonna be drinking my own bean, hard

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 19, 2021, 01:17:09 PM
The DRUG

...I've been drinking coffee every single day since I was 16, which is almost two decades.
Read this as 'I've been THINKING about coffee since I was 16' - Feel a bit disappointed now.

flotemysost

I enjoy the habit and routine of coffee (particularly during the first lockdown, there was a small comfort in waiting for my little mustard-yellow Moka pot to climax every morning) and when I'm out I like sitting somewhere and enjoying a nice coffee over a while, but I don't feel like I wouldn't be able to function without it these days, though I haven't actually tried in ages.

I used to take Pro Plus at work WITH MY COFFEE like a mad cunt but I don't know how much difference it made, realistically.

H-O-W-L

I drink a Monster a day and that's all the caffeine and sugar I need, though the last couple weeks I made the mistake of having two back to back on a couple days to blaze a project and now my circadian rhythm is fucked beyond redemption. Gonna crash out for like 15 hours, chums. Wish me well.

I legitimately monitor the mg intake of caffeine I go through (much like I measure the ml intake of alcohol I go through) in one day because I honestly think it is literally a drug you have to measure the dosage of closely. It's a drug. It's a stimulant. It is literally a lower-scale cocaine.