Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Started by eagle_bearer, October 20, 2021, 02:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle_bearer

Watch out, cats! Say, you down for shaking your tailfeather on the dancefloor? Maybe you gots a signature move that will set the roof on fire. You know, like Michael with the Moonwalk. You dig?

Hello there. That's not how I really talk. I was adopting the 'voice' of a smooth dude who frequents nightclubs and is into strutting his stuff on the dancefloor so that I could connect with those of you who are into that kind of thing. In reality, I don't cut any rugs and won't be doing so in the future. Not interested.

There are lots of styles, of course. Who can avoid the BBC juggernaut Strictly Come Dancing? Well, me, but it's very popular. Surely we've all seen Travolta and Thurman get into their groove in Pulp Fiction as they move their fingers across their eyes. Maybe the balance and grace of ballet is your thing. For the more 'street' guy or gal, they can chuck down some lino and get their breakdance on to intimidate their peers. And saucy Latino moves could be used to effectively drive your crush wild when they see your hips thrusting suggestively.

Do you like dancing? What do you think about people who don't dance? Squares who need to cut loose? Do you have a particular technique you like to show off to dazzle all the onlookers in the discotheque?

madhair60

Sherringford Hovis

My dancing is so good all the discotheque dollybirds call me St Vitus.

Icehaven

eagle_bearer

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2021, 02:57:11 PM
I like to dance yes

And what kind of tunes will get you bopping? What moves could we expect to see when madhair hits the dancefloor?

JaDanketies

The song Yes Sir I Can Boogie is a banger and is also quite funny.

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 20, 2021, 02:22:18 PM
Do you like dancing? What do you think about people who don't dance? Squares who need to cut loose? Do you have a particular technique you like to show off to dazzle all the onlookers in the discotheque?

I don't need booze to dance. I love a bit of a dance, I relish the opportunity to get on down. I've noticed that women like dancing and men don't, in fact men seem to look at a dancing man with disdain. But women love a dancing man, they think he's the life and soul of the party and must be great boyfriend material. Pretty much all of the times that women have blatantly come on to me, I have been dancing. All the other men standing around like awkward sad-acts make me look even cooler and more free-spirited by comparison.

I don't have any moves at all though and I'm sure it's all dad-dancing.

Dancing is fun, but even if I'm in the mood to dance nothing will make me want to do it less than someone coming up and dancing AT me. You know the type, an acquaintance or random will come up and start dancing and singing in your face while saying "come on!", giving the impression that you're some wallflower they've had to coax rather than them just enjoying the moment themselves. Then the others will see this happen and start watching in a "aww, look, the shy one has been made to dance" and even if you're a confident person the self-consciousness kicks in and you start analysing every twist of your limbs.

Not me, I just tell them to piss off and then start breaking out the moves the moment their back is turned.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 20, 2021, 03:07:53 PMBut women love a dancing man, they think he's the life and soul of the party and must be great boyfriend material.

I love to love but what my baby just loves to do will shock you.

Is that song about a girl who doesn't realise her boyfriend's gay (020210us Th1ngs) or not?

Johnny Foreigner

I don't understand why people dance. It is tiring and produces no pleasure.

SpiderChrist

Last time I danced there was an incident. Never again.

flotemysost

There's "spontaneous" dancing (in a club, at a party, etc.) and then there's choreographed dance routine type stuff. As an uncoordinated clumsy oaf, I'm really shit at both. The former I just sort of fling myself around, the latter I find it really hard to mirror the teacher's moves and memorise everything in a sequence.

I've been to quite a few classes (street, jazz and pole, mainly), I enjoy it but I'm nearly always the worst person there. I mean, pole is a bit different as it's (generally) much slower and more about pairing the physical strength required for moves with the control needed to execute them elegantly, but there's still that challenge of needing to keep in your head "uh, which bit comes next and how do I do it?".

What about those dances that everyone knows (apparently) so whenever the song comes on at a party or a wedding you inevitably get arm-wrestled to the dancefloor and then have to stand there awkwardly glancing to the people either side of you to check what they're doing? You know the ones. The Candy Dance. The Macarena. Haven't mastered either yet. I might just take a day off at some point and teach myself once and for all.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I only know one dance, and it's the Kate Bush Wuthering Heights dance. I utilise it at all social occasions where dancing is involved. This is why I am no longer invited to social occasions.

Icehaven

Saturday night, Saturday night.

flotemysost

^ that's the other one I was trying to think of! (as in, the dance accompanying the Whigfield track that everyone but me seems to know)

Tony Tony Tony

I was soooo glad when punk popularised the pogo. That was one dance I could get on board with.

Glebe

The days of moshing and air guitar are behind me now at this stage I think. Perhaps I could learn 'adult' dances like the Foxtrot!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Atlantis? Sank under a torrent of sex juice when they saw me dancing.

bgmnts

It's one of the most tedious dull things that is so universally adored. One of those life things which make me realise what a weird robot human I am.

Brian Freeze

Our eldest loved to dance and she was absolutely incredible at it just giving it the beans in our kitchen. She'd never watched music videos or owt like that, she just proper went for it but had style and rhythm and heart and soul and whatever makes someone a brilliant dancer.

At the grand old age of eight she's much more self conscious or something and cant replicate what made her so fantastic. Makes me sad.

poo

Dancing is a sign of mental illness

madhair60

Quote from: eagle_bearer on October 20, 2021, 03:07:31 PM
And what kind of tunes will get you bopping? What moves could we expect to see when madhair hits the dancefloor?

erasure is the answer to both questions

touchingcloth

I cannot dance to save my life. I always used to tell my partner this, but she never believed me until she took me to a cèilidh. "Everyone can dance a cèilidh!" she said, but two songs and three left feet in she started to see my point.

Dr Rock

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 20, 2021, 03:07:53 PM
The song Yes Sir I Can Boogie is a banger and is also quite funny.

I don't need booze to dance. I love a bit of a dance, I relish the opportunity to get on down. I've noticed that women like dancing and men don't, in fact men seem to look at a dancing man with disdain. But women love a dancing man, they think he's the life and soul of the party and must be great boyfriend material. Pretty much all of the times that women have blatantly come on to me, I have been dancing. All the other men standing around like awkward sad-acts make me look even cooler and more free-spirited by comparison.

Yeah, agreed. I'm disabled now so not much opportunity to dance, but sometimes the painkillers work so well that I can dance around my flat. I started out as a bad dancer (not matching the rhythm, arms flapping about like a chicken, but I got better.