Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Farewell to meat

Started by Bigfella, October 20, 2021, 05:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfella

A while back I mentioned my decision to become vegan.  Truth be told, I kind of shat it for a while.  Maybe a parallel to my reluctance to quit the snout and Buckfast, I was apprehensive of making such a major lifestyle change.  I've now resolved to stop eating meat and dairy at the end of this month.  Trying to plan it so I get a last go of my favourites: ribeye steak, salmon, roast lamb, mince, chicken madras, haggis.  Really going to miss it. At first, anyway.

Twit 2

madhair60

Ah, following in the footsteps of Hitler, eh?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2021, 05:49:10 PM

Hitler was only veggie wasn't he?  Bigfella's going down a much darker path and following in the footsteps of Bryan Adams.

QDRPHNC

This last couple of weeks I've been trying to eat less meat, so gave those Beyond and Impossible burgers a go for the first time. Both of them are really good, but the Impossible ones are amazing, you'd think you were eating meat. Beyond are enjoyable in their own right, but they don't try to emulate a real burger so much.

Pink Gregory

Honestly people rave about the beyond stuff but I don't see it; the No Bull burgers from Iceland are just as good at a fraction of the price.

Welcome on board Big Fella.  They say your poos go weird but that's not true in my experience.  Also I think Waitrose has vegan haggis.  Vaggis

Cuellar

Tried some of the Vegetarian Butcher burgers last night and they were a bit odd. Sort of chewy. Fan of Beyond, never tried an Impossible.

Poobum

Least favourite Hemmingway novel.

Bigfella

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2021, 05:49:10 PM
EIN REICH! EIN VOLK! EIN FURHER!       -Sorry, what?     - Nothing.

chveik

very proud of you Bigfella

shiftwork2

There's a McPlant in McShitbags.

eagle_bearer

Tried this last month and lasted three days.

Neville Chamberlain

Twit 2

I've reduced my meat intake by about half. More fish and veg dishes, smaller portions of meat when I have it and almost no red meat at all. Mostly for environmental, health and financial reasons, but fewer carked animals in the mix ain't bad either. Too hedonistic to go full veggie, but it's not all or nothing.

TrenterPercenter

Just had some vegan "kebab" (soy stuff) in a wrap like swarmara; was decent enough for that kind of thing.

Dr Rock

Hitler wasn't vegetarian

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/12/13/why-hitler-wasnt-vegetarian-and-aryan-vegan-diet-isnt-what-it-seems

QuoteIf Hitler was indeed a vegetarian, he wasn't a very good one. In 1964, his former personal chef, Dione Lucas, published The Gourmet Cooking School Cookbook, in which she listed turtle soup, stuffed pigeon, and sausages as among his favourite foods. A few decades later, highly acclaimed biographer Robert Payne argued that Hitler's vegetarianism was a myth created by his propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels.

Buelligan

I think for some, though, vegetarianism (or veganism) is rather a moveable feast.  I once sat down to eat with someone who proudly revealed to all the guests that she'd made me a special vegetarian broccoli quiche (and popped in a little bacon - just for flavour).  I've also been presented with a vegan pumpkin stew (containing actual pig leg bones and flesh), a vegetarian prawn omelette, filled with actual prawns, vegetarian oysters, that were oysters and a whole boiled chicken, including its face, in a tureen, as a vegetarian option, so, you know, old Hitler may have been one of those sorts of vegetarians.  I'm guessing he probably was.

Well done, Bigfella, on becoming a vegan anyway, whatever that means.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 20, 2021, 07:23:28 PM
Just had some vegan "kebab" (soy stuff) in a wrap like swarmara; was decent enough for that kind of thing.
Was it the Vivera (blue packaging) shawarma pieces?  Do like the kebab style pieces (and the facon is some of the best) but the (german brand) Wheaty kebab is harder to find and if memory serves a bit better.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 20, 2021, 07:26:47 PM
Hitler wasn't vegetarian

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/12/13/why-hitler-wasnt-vegetarian-and-aryan-vegan-diet-isnt-what-it-seems

QuoteIf Hitler was indeed a vegetarian, he wasn't a very good one. In 1964, his former personal chef, Dione Lucas, published The Gourmet Cooking School Cookbook, in which she listed turtle soup, stuffed pigeon, and sausages as among his favourite foods. A few decades later, highly acclaimed biographer Robert Payne argued that Hitler's vegetarianism was a myth created by his propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels.

So the original virtue signalling then.

I always heard that he just didn't eat meat because it made him windy.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 20, 2021, 07:40:38 PM
Was it the Vivera (blue packaging) shawarma pieces?  Do like the kebab style pieces (and the facon is some of the best) but the (german brand) Wheaty kebab is harder to find and if memory serves a bit better.

This stuff; weird as it says veggie but it's actually vegan

bgmnts

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 20, 2021, 05:43:15 PM
Goodbye to All Fat

Clearly haven't tried any of my vegan diet. Enough fat in me to kill at least four fully grown humans.

Twit 2

Yeah, but I wanted the literary reference and Hemingway was too obvious (sorry Poobum).

Hitler not a vegetarian after all? That's put me off him a bit.

nugget

Quote from: Twit 2 on October 20, 2021, 07:08:52 PM
I've reduced my meat intake by about half. More fish and veg dishes, smaller portions of meat when I have it and almost no red meat at all. Mostly for environmental, health and financial reasons, but fewer carked animals in the mix ain't bad either. Too hedonistic to go full veggie, but it's not all or nothing.

I'm kind of similar, I don't have meat at home at all, but do still eat fish occasionally. In my case, the original motivation was for health reasons, but as I learnt more about the environmental consequences of meat production, that took over as the primary motivation. The only time I'll have meat is if I'm in eating out or staying with meat-eating relatives (since I'm not really a vegetarian, they just assume I must want to eat meat every day, like a normal person). I think vegetarianism would be unsustainable for me, so I'm happy just to keep my meat consumption to the bare minimum.

The Mollusk

Make sure you get in all the big hitters while you still can Bigfella. Otter, narwhal, bald eagle, poison arrow tree frog. I know a kebab place that can get anything if you want it.

Jittlebags

And don't forget the ortolan.