Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Party (1968, Peter Sellers, may just be the film I hate the most)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 20, 2021, 08:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Peter Sellers pretends to be Indian complete with some dodgy make up and accent in this Blake Edwards shit, so it's problematic from the very first second, but given it's reputation and high imdb score I presumed it must somehow get past that and be enormously funny. It's not, in fact I don't think I've hated an attempt at comedy in such a way ever before, it's absolutely and relentlessly awful, filled with turgid, tedious sequences where Seller's clumsy, bumbling socially awkward character stumbles in to agonisingly contrived bits of physical comedy that aren't funny at all, and there are so many bits that go on for a hideous amount of time and where either the gag could seen a mile off, or just very little happened, that I just can't understand how anyone could rate this highly. On top of that is the annoyingly stupid sequences, like the drunk waiter who is never fired despite his boss repeatedly strangling him, Seller's needing a piss for ages, and that fucking ending with the incredibly implausible amount of foam and people fucking fainting every time they see a fucking elephant, which all add up to a film that is easily in my top 3 of most hated films ever made. 0.3/10 (and it only gets that as I quite liked the dumb Western star).

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on October 20, 2021, 08:14:31 PM
great film, one of my favourite comedies

I know you're far from alone in thinking that. But can you explain why you found it funny, as I'd love to try and understand what I'm missing out on.

wooders1978

Come on, "birdie num nums" is a great skit - ok, it's clearly very dated and a bad look nowadays, but it's a beloved comedy for a reason, despite all the illogical bits it's still a trailblazer for me

Fuck off "yesno", in advance btw

Shit Good Nose

I'm also a big fan.  Bog roll gag still gets me. 

I love its unbridled silliness.

chveik

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 20, 2021, 08:18:35 PM
I know you're far from alone in thinking that. But can you explain why you found it funny, as I'd love to try and understand what I'm missing out on.

it's pretty broad but it works for me, it's massively influenced by Tati, just some fool wreaking havoc in a very modern house.

GoblinAhFuckScary

bgmnts

To be fair I like Murder by Death and that is incredibly dodgy by today's standards.

Ant Farm Keyboard

How do you rate it compared to Triumph of the Will, Birth of a Nation and Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector?

zomgmouse

i don't think i hated this quite as much as you did but i was also bewildered when i watched it as to why it was a classic. though i do think the party sequence itself was pretty good

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on October 21, 2021, 12:11:45 AM
it's pretty broad but it works for me, it's massively influenced by Tati, just some fool wreaking havoc in a very modern house.

I've never managed to click with Tati so perhaps that's an element as to why I didn't get on with it. I think I was hoping for more mayhem too (the poster running with the tag line "If you've ever been to a wilder party - You're under arrest!" whereas the majority of the film is a mild comedy of manners, and it only gets crazy when the daughter at the end turns up. I appreciate the response though, and guess it's just one of those times a film wasn't for me.

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on October 21, 2021, 03:20:10 AM
How do you rate it compared to Triumph of the Will, Birth of a Nation and Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector?

Appalling I've never seen any of them, and yet still claim I'm a film fan, it's terrible, I know.

Replies From View

zomgmouse

mothman

I've not seen it in decades but remember enjoying it. But then I was a Sellers fan back in the day. Not watched anything of his recently though, and since reading one of the biographies[nb]Not the Roger Lewis one, The Life And Death Of..., the other one. Though I do have a copy of it to read, as recommended by CaB's own Louis Barfe.[/nb] I'm not in any hurry to again, he was a massive cunt especially to his kids. Don't know what I'd make of The Party if I watched it now.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: zomgmouse on October 21, 2021, 10:46:41 AM
i love tati and do not love the party

Me too. I couldn't get on with it at all. Sellers completely creeped me out for some reason and so none of the comedy landed.

I had the same issue with Being There, but for a different, more personal, reason (he reminded me of someone when they were very ill). Frustrating, because unlike The Party, I think that's a good film.

zomgmouse

i need to rewatch Being There but in my memory it is truly special. but i can see how his portrayal could be taken as irritating

Egyptian Feast

In my case, I found it upsetting rather than irritating. It is a fine performance, but I couldn't enjoy the movie due to the association.