Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remembered Pleasures

Started by Tony Tony Tony, October 22, 2021, 12:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

I had occasion to get on a bus this morning and it turned up as a double decker. Throwing caution to the wind I ventured upstairs and sat in the very front seat. It turned out a rare pleasure, as well as pretending I was driving the bus (like when I was a nipper) I got to see my town from a different angle... lovely stuff.

So boys and girls of CaB had any long forgotten pleasures stirred up of late?

Wanking excluded. 

mothman

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 22, 2021, 12:23:43 AM
So boys and girls of CaB had any long forgotten pleasures stirred up of late?

Wanking excluded. 

hamfist

Ah, those front upstairs seats should always be called « command seats »

Midas

i haven't had any pleasure for at least 20 years, i'm afraid

touchingcloth

Quote from: hamfist on October 22, 2021, 01:23:44 AM
Ah, those front upstairs seats should always be called « command seats »

They should fit them with fake steering wheels and working pull cord horns.

Noodle Lizard

Not sure my life got any better than watching The Devil Rides Out on an autumn Sunday afternoon with a seemingly limitless Sunday roast at my disposal. Been trying to replicate it for 15 years.

Bigfella

When you were little, sweets, ice cream, pudding and custard really did give a burst of ecstasy.  They still taste nice as an adult, but being able to have as much of them any time you want takes the edge off it.

bakabaka

Quote from: Bigfella on October 22, 2021, 07:48:27 AM
When you were little, sweets, ice cream, pudding and custard really did give a burst of ecstasy.  They still taste nice as an adult, but being able to have as much of them any time you want takes the edge off it.
You can get that feeling back. Just get diabetes.

Buelligan

Out into the wild, just there, in the sound of birds and trees moving.  New rare and glorious plants, the secret ways of beetles and praying mantis, wild figs.  Standing on the edge, above everything.  Tiny cars glitter.  Fish in the warm distance, far beyond the next mountains.  And the big blue everywhere.  An eagle in it.  Above.

The Crumb

In Cornwall last week, I went on a boat for the first time in years. Lovely stuff. The awkward first step on, the fresh breeze, all the little hidden places along the coast, the thrilling anticipation that you might see something amazing in the water.

Didn't the older buses have some sort of mirror tunnel system so the driver could view upstairs and when you were sat in the front seats you could see the driver?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 22, 2021, 11:27:38 AM
Didn't the older buses have some sort of mirror tunnel system so the driver could view upstairs and when you were sat in the front seats you could see the driver?

They most certainly did in the Manchester area when I was at school.

It was a periscope type of thing so the driver could see upstairs. Conversely when sitting in the top deck front seat you could peer down and see the driver mouthing insults back at you.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The humble potato is nothing special. There's even that phrase "meat and potatoes" meaning standard or unremarkable. That is until you live with someone on a low carb diet and you almost never get to eat them.[nb]Yes, I could make spuds for myself when I cook, but I'm lazy and I don't like to create extra washing up.[/nb] I was away last weekend and happened to be staying right next to a chip shop. The aroma of oily spuds and vinegar was irresistible, so I bought myself a large chips and ate them for dinner and breakfast the next day. They might not have been remotely healthy, but goddamn they were good.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Bigfella on October 22, 2021, 07:48:27 AM

There used to be a chocolate shop in Leeds market selling cheap chocolate and one time they were selling Chunky Kit Kats at 10 for a quid so I bought 4 quids worth (because they had them in boxes of 36 so for 4 quid you got a full box + 4 more).  One evening a week later I had a thought that as a kid I'd have loved to have a bunch of chocolate bars like this, so I decided I was going to eat 4 of them on the trot.  They were the ones that had some sort of pink fondant inside (I think they were passion fruit flavour maybe, or something like that).  By the third one I was feeling a bit bilious (because of the fondant) but I had to finish my task, and managed to eat the 4th one.  It was fun, I guess, but not something I wish to repeat.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 22, 2021, 11:38:03 AM
They most certainly did in the Manchester area when I was at school.

It was a periscope type of thing so the driver could see upstairs. Conversely when sitting in the top deck front seat you could peer down and see the driver mouthing insults back at you.

They had them in Leeds too.  It's ages since I was on a bus and I can't remember if they still have them or if technology has replaced them.

Johnny Foreigner

I revisited Skipton Castle a month ago. It took me back to the first time I was there, a confirmed bachelor travelling without much of a plan during my holidays, a balmy September in Cumbria when I had come down from Carlisle, over the Ribblehead viaduct, alighted from the train at Skipton for I was peckish, looked for a pub and discovered this castle.

It dawned on me that must have been seven or eight years ago. The castle was much as I remembered it, as was that huge pub where I had once partaken of luncheon. The only thing markedly different was that this time round, I was no longer on my own. 'Ye gods', quoth I wistfully unto the welkin, 'Fugit irreparabile tempus! 'Tis all too true, alack! How I bemoan yon blue-remembered hills!' And in desperation, I threw myself upon the cobblestones dramatically.

An older and a fatter man, I rose the morrow morn.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 22, 2021, 12:01:58 PM
The humble potato is nothing special. There's even that phrase "meat and potatoes" meaning standard or unremarkable. That is until you live with someone on a low carb diet and you almost never get to eat them.[nb]Yes, I could make spuds for myself when I cook, but I'm lazy and I don't like to create extra washing up.[/nb] I was away last weekend and happened to be staying right next to a chip shop. The aroma of oily spuds and vinegar was irresistible, so I bought myself a large chips and ate them for dinner and breakfast the next day. They might not have been remotely healthy, but goddamn they were good.

Two seperate portions bought independently  or half of one portion reheated in the micro like a peasant?

Reheated chips never work.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 22, 2021, 02:21:31 PM
There used to be a chocolate shop in Leeds market selling cheap chocolate and one time they were selling Chunky Kit Kats at 10 for a quid so I bought 4 quids worth

One of my remembered pleasures from childhood is the Kit Kats you occasionally got that had slipped through quality control and one of the sticks didn't have any wafer in and was just pure chocolate.  By the time you were about one centimetre in and no wafer to be found, you realised that you had one of the special ones.  Somehow - in my eyes anyway - it was much better than just getting a bar of chocolate.

Dex Sawash

Adjacent to the above bus and boat things, a school friend's family had a boat with the helm right up in the bow like this one but with a lower windshield.

Sitting up front, insulated from the mechanical noises by distance, it is much quieter than your normal boat. Quite a lot of vertical motion as the bow rose and fell. The apparent wind cleaner, unbroken by the disturbed flow further aft. Magic carpet syle. Whenever I see one of those rotten old pieces of shit in a side yard I am tempted to try to relive summers of 1979-83.

This is as pleasant a remembrance[nb]is that a proper phrase?[/nb] as any I have.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on October 22, 2021, 05:41:23 PM
One of my remembered pleasures from childhood is the Kit Kats you occasionally got that had slipped through quality control and one of the sticks didn't have any wafer in and was just pure chocolate.  By the time you were about one centimetre in and no wafer to be found, you realised that you had one of the special ones.  Somehow - in my eyes anyway - it was much better than just getting a bar of chocolate.

Yeah it was great when that happened.  Once in a multi-pack of 2-finger Kit Kats I had two all-solid ones!

thenoise

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on October 22, 2021, 04:19:46 PM
My dad [tag]thenoisemoansabouthisdad[/tag] used to put the whole portion of chips in the oven (without preheating, obviously) to warm them up then served them on hot plates. Because apparently the 15minute drive home hadn't made them inedible enough yet.

They used to tell me chips tasted better on the seafront because of the "sea air". Well, that's one of the reasons.

jamiefairlie

The smell of a newly opened pack of football cards, with hard bubblegum.

An intermission Lyons Maid lolly at the local ABC cinema.

JamesTC

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on October 22, 2021, 05:41:23 PM

My dad regularly brings up the time he got an all chocolate KitKat Chunky.

Quote from: JamesTC on October 22, 2021, 07:38:15 PM
My dad regularly brings up the time he got an all chocolate KitKat Chunky.

it's odd, really, since the wafer is the distinctive bit of the KitKat, that we're all so pleased when we get one without it.

logic apart though, all-chocolate Kitkats rock.  And I am unbelievably jealous of your dad.

Video Game Fan 2000

I got a solid Club once but that's nothing on a Kit Kat chunky. A kid at school got a Salt n Shake that was full of little blue bags. It only had a couple of crisps in it.

It was the funniest thing since farts.

ProvanFan

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on October 22, 2021, 04:19:46 PM
Two seperate portions bought independently or half of one portion reheated in the micro like a peasant?

One portion halved. The large chips there is enough for two heaped platefuls. Although this time I was lazy and used the microwave to reheat the leftover chips, which was underwhelming, I've had excellent results in the past by shallow frying them. They're usually greasy enough that you shouldn't need more than a little drop of oil, if any. Just put them on medium heat and keep them moving in the pan. I might even say they're even nicer reheated like that.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 22, 2021, 02:21:31 PM
There used to be a chocolate shop in Leeds market selling cheap chocolate and one time they were selling Chunky Kit Kats at 10 for a quid so I bought 4 quids worth (because they had them in boxes of 36 so for 4 quid you got a full box + 4 more).  One evening a week later I had a thought that as a kid I'd have loved to have a bunch of chocolate bars like this, so I decided I was going to eat 4 of them on the trot.
Did you melt them together and pretend to be some sort of a tiny person with a normal Kit Kat?

kngen

Haven't had a cat in years after always having them around when I was a kid - this was mostly to do with moving around a lot, and plans to emigrate. Just didn't seem practical. But this week we got two rescue kittens. Waking up to a wee purring ball of fur who has nestled themselves perfectly on your pillow between your head and shoulder is such a wonderful feeling, I can't believe I've gone so long without it.

Tony Tony Tony

Watch out, them furry fecks are well known for sitting on sleeping children's faces and suffocating them.

You could well be next if you don't keep up the constant supply of Dreamies.

flotemysost

Quote from: kngen on October 23, 2021, 02:14:02 PM
Haven't had a cat in years after always having them around when I was a kid - this was mostly to do with moving around a lot, and plans to emigrate. Just didn't seem practical. But this week we got two rescue kittens. Waking up to a wee purring ball of fur who has nestled themselves perfectly on your pillow between your head and shoulder is such a wonderful feeling, I can't believe I've gone so long without it.

Congrats!

I was thinking today about how much I miss the simple joy of petting an animal, it's been a while since I've hung out with any cats or dogs, and getting one of my own isn't an option. Then as I was walking home earlier this evening, a one-eyed tortoiseshell cat I'd never seen before bounded across the road and started weaving around my legs making little purring chirruping noises, followed me to my front door as well. If we meet again I may struggle not to steal her.