Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Started by Custard, October 24, 2021, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

If you liked the first film, then here's more of the same, with added Woody Harrelson. Enjoy! (I did quite enjoy the first one, and this one is pretty fun too).

Of course, that means if you hated the first one, you'll hate this too. With or without Woody Harrelson

I quite enjoy these films as they're a bit of silly superhero fun that don't take themselves very seriously. And when it finally gets down to Venom and Carnage having a ruck it's well done and, well, carnage

Michelle Williams is pretty wasted, again, but Naomie Harris has a nice villain role that serves her far better than 9th wheel in Bond

There's an interesting post credits scene that I won't spoil, but it's one of the better ones of recent times

Oh, and it's a very trim 90 minutes too, so there wasn't much bum ache. Hurrah!

Anyway, 3 bags

Goldentony

Just back from this. Was alright for a laugh and definitely felt 90 minutes, felt kind of small and cheaper than id have expected from a comic film though. Carnage was good to see, finally. Character can be the absolute worst in the comics but they got it right in the cartoon IMO, this one didn't seem much like eithe, sort of operated like a tentacled William Hurt. Venom/Eddie are great.

Stephen Graham's accent is demented. I'm watching this in Liverpool so I don't know how obvious is it to anyone else but in between that mad James Gandolfini voice you can clearly hear him letting rip with the EEE ARRRR LAD YE MESSIN YE FUCKEN TIT in the middle of sentences.

Goldentony

also liked

Spoiler alert
"YOU SUCK"

"i'm sorry?"

"...I don't have a rational explanation for that"
[close]

Custard

Quote from: Goldentony on October 24, 2021, 08:03:20 PM
also liked

Spoiler alert
"YOU SUCK"

"i'm sorry?"

"...I don't have a rational explanation for that"
[close]

Haha, yeah that got a big laff from me

dead-ced-dead

It's nice to have a superhero blockbuster that is a nice, tidy 97 minutes. It's aware that it's just a silly bit of fun and doesn't overstay its welcome. Very appreciated.

H-O-W-L

Is it worth watching the original first? Seemed like over-grim shite with cringeworthy humor injected into it based on the trailers.

Custard

I'd say it's worth watching the first one first, as it sets up how Eddie Brock/Tom Hardy becomes Venom, and has some genuinely funny moments.

Not sure if this sequel is a better film or exactly the same quality. They feel very similar, though this one is definitely funnier. I laughed a few times, and everyone is clearly having a hoot. Tongues are firmly lodged in cheeks

dead-ced-dead

Plus there's a cameo from Reece Shearsmith, which is always good fun.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How come when Venom opens his gob, you can't see Brock's face inside?

Custard

Custard

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 25, 2021, 09:36:29 AM
Plus there's a cameo from Reece Shearsmith, which is always good fun.

This got a laugh from a few people at my showing. Though he didn't really get to do anything, so could have been anybody

Though it does make you hope that Hardy, Naomie Harris or Stephen Graham will bowl up on Inside No. 9 at some point, as Shearsmith has form with offering roles to actors he's previously worked with

Goldentony

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 25, 2021, 08:48:55 AM
Is it worth watching the original first? Seemed like over-grim shite with cringeworthy humor injected into it based on the trailers.

opposite of grim, feels very late 90s superhero film but still just a daft laugh

holyzombiejesus

Just got out of this. It was ok although took a while to get to grips with Venom's voice. A bit of a Bane thing going on. Hardy's accent slipped more than Graham's, I thought. There was one bit where he was quickly scribbling with the Sharpies and he said something like "I'm Pablo Picasso" and I almost expected him to follow it with "from the valleys."

Also, why were Stephen Graham's
Spoiler alert
eyes all twinkly and blue in the last shot of him
[close]
?

elliszeroed

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2021, 06:05:36 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
?

Infected with a symbiote?

Custard

I think the implication was he'll be the villain in the next one

letsgobrian

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2021, 06:05:36 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
?

Comic-based explanation:
Spoiler alert
he is host to Toxin, Carnage's "child". Carnage tries to kill him before he's born, while Venom protects him. However once he appears the two symbiotes team up to fight their child/grandchild. Toxin and Mulligan have a child/parent relationship as the whole thing is a male pregnancy horror.
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 25, 2021, 08:48:55 AM

Nah, it's pretty goofy. They downplay the horror of the protagonist eating people's brains to the point that you can disengage from any kind of plausible psychological reality and just enjoy the daftness. The best bits are all Tom Hardy talking to himself, and I'm hoping there's more of that in this one (although there's no way I'll bother seeing it in cinemas).

Custard

There's tons of him and Venom having a back an forth dialogue that no one else can hear. Well, they can hear Brock talking, hence why people stare at him like he's a nutloop everywhere he goes

Mister Six

Hooray! Honestly, the first film could have done with more of that and less of the mediocre superheroics.

Thomas

Quote from: Mister Six on October 28, 2021, 03:09:14 PM
The best bits are all Tom Hardy talking to himself

Is Locke set before or after Venom?

Mister Six

It goes Locke - Venom - Venom 2 - Stuart: A Life Backwards.

bgmnts

Quote from: Thomas on October 29, 2021, 11:32:07 AM
Is Locke set before or after Venom?

There needs to be a 'British actors with shit British accents' thread.

Glebe

Saw this the other day... thought it was a bit of a damp squib really. The first one was a bit of a guilty pleasure, but this feels like it's stretching things. The action scenes are decent and it's nice to have a 90m superhero movie for a change, but it actually feels like it's missing at least one extra set piece. Woody Harrelson in particular feels like he got short-changed, suddenly it's the big finale and I was thinking "Huh? Already?"

Oh yeah
Spoiler alert
Venom now part of the MCU... and hi Reece!
[close]

Custard

Yeah, you might wanna whack that last bit under spoiler tags there, Glebe!

Glebe

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 02, 2021, 10:31:35 PMYeah, you might wanna whack that last bit under spoiler tags there, Glebe!

Fair enough SC, though somebody had already gorn spoiled it... actually it was another thread that somebody mentioned
Spoiler alert
Reece's appearance
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

This is now available, I didn't mind the first one and like Woody Harrelson so thought it might be a daft bit of nonsense, but I really struggled with it. The script is appalling throughout, almost every line Venom utters made me cringe (and that scene where he goes to a rave is just bizarre), I thought Harrelson did okay with the terrible dialogue he was given but deserved better, while Hardy was just bad throughout. There were some so bad it was funny bits,
Spoiler alert
and the cathedral made for a pretty backdrop for the ending
[close]
, but yeesh, most of the time I was quite bored by it. 3.8/10

brat-sampson

Taken as what it is, a breezy anti-hero action-comedy with no pretenses and a fun cast, yeah, it's fun for its run and then it's done. Probably more enjoyable for me than something like Eternals.

Quote from: Goldentony on October 24, 2021, 07:58:56 PMStephen Graham's accent is demented. I'm watching this in Liverpool so I don't know how obvious is it to anyone else but in between that mad James Gandolfini voice you can clearly hear him letting rip with the EEE ARRRR LAD YE MESSIN YE FUCKEN TIT in the middle of sentences.

Fucking hell, yes. I like SG a lot as an actor, but he is shit at accents. If anything, this is worse than his "Welsh" accent in that Jeremy Bamber thing, and that was appalling.

Glebe

His Dublin-ish accent in Gangs of New York was decent as I recall. And I say that as a Dubliner.

Famous Mortimer

I thought his accent was mostly okay, but there were a few moments where you could hear it slipping quite badly - sort of like Idris Elba in the first series of The Wire.

I just watched it, and it's pretty good! Close to just being a comedy, and I respect their indifference to explaining just how Carnage was created.

Spoiler alert
The one thing that never sat exactly right for me about the first one was that traditionally, Venom looks the way he does because of his initial association with Spider-Man, right? It just being a coincidence that one looks like a funfair-mirror version of the other was acceptable when they existed separately, but I'm not sure it'll work if they're now teaming up, or whatever part Venom will play in the new Spider-Man movie. Also, isn't Tobey Maguire supposed to be showing up in something? Will he go "oh, hey Eddie, sorry for killing you a while back"?

Sorry, continuity nerd stuff. But it is one of the reasons I drifted away from superhero comics, way back.
[close]