Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Coffee Friends Coffee Gunther

Started by Bad Ambassador, October 24, 2021, 10:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Noodle Lizard

How miserable. I think he recorded something for that awkward Coffee Friends Reunion thing this year[nb]now I think of it, he may have mentioned being sick[/nb], and I found it a bit bleak how little the cast seemed to care.

He was all over UK TV when the series came to an end. He lucked into that role, and became a sort of ambassador for the show when the titular Coffee Friends felt they were above it all. I dunno, good on him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

....Erm, but actually, I'm quite saddened by this news, although it had been on the cards. Remember reading about his diagnosed-too- late prostate cancer spreading to his bones, and that he'd lost mobility, and being pretty blummin' saddened then, as the next grim stage was all too inevitable. RIP.

dissolute ocelot

I hope Rachel will have sex with him now.

Sad news anyway, even if it's not a surprise because (as mentioned) he had announced he was terminally ill, but that's not much consolation. I guess, given the promotional work and appearances he made long after the show had finished, unlike his coffee he wasn't bitter.

Noodle Lizard

My prediction: Matt Le "Joey" Blanc will make a really nice statement mourning his loss. The others won't until it comes up in an interview, and they'll mispronounce his character's name.

madhair60

Twit 2

g0m

RIP to the actor who portrayed Gunther in the TV show "Friends" and the narration for the DVD board game "Scene It: Friends Edition"

gilbertharding

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 24, 2021, 11:24:29 PM
...mispronounce his character's name.

Ha ha!

On It's The Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning the presenters (not sure who it was this morning) announced the death and had a couple of goes at different pronunciations, and then said they'd "check" before they did the actual item on it later.

Icehaven

Not a surprise as he'd been ill for a while but still really sad. I read an interview with him and other secondary Friends actors not that long ago and he seemed a bit regretful about how he'd never done much other acting after the show finished, but at least he got something out of it. He was in 150 episodes apparently, which surprised me but I spose he's lurking in the background in a lot of the coffee house scenes even if he doesn't have any lines.

thr0b

Promotion of the repeats now falls solely on the shoulders of Maggie Wheeler.

The Mollusk

JaDanketies

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 09:54:09 AM
he seemed a bit regretful about how he'd never done much other acting after the show finished, but at least he got something out of it. He was in 150 episodes apparently, which surprised me but I spose he's lurking in the background in a lot of the coffee house scenes even if he doesn't have any lines.

Not that these things are accurate, but if he earned a quarter of that over the last 20 years its not bad.

Chollis

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2021, 09:54:09 AM
Not a surprise as he'd been ill for a while but still really sad. I read an interview with him and other secondary Friends actors not that long ago and he seemed a bit regretful about how he'd never done much other acting after the show finished, but at least he got something out of it. He was in 150 episodes apparently, which surprised me but I spose he's lurking in the background in a lot of the coffee house scenes even if he doesn't have any lines.

he had the most screentime of any non-Friend character apparently! there's a conversation starter for you!

Cuellar

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 25, 2021, 09:53:27 AM
Ha ha!

On It's The Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning the presenters (not sure who it was this morning) announced the death and had a couple of goes at different pronunciations, and then said they'd "check" before they did the actual item on it later.

How do you mispronounce Gunther?

Magnum Valentino

Either with an oo as in Goonther or with a t instead of a th so as Goonter or Gunter.

JamesTC

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 25, 2021, 10:49:49 AM
Not that these things are accurate, but if he earned a quarter of that over the last 20 years its not bad.

He'll have done well out of the show and I'm sure royalties will have kept him wealthy enough not to work another day if he didn't want to. I imagine his regret is just a personal one rather than a financial.

$4 million is an incredible fortune. I know Friends was massive, but surely that number isn't true. If so, Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox would be billionaires.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 25, 2021, 02:27:22 PM
$4 million is an incredible fortune. I know Friends was massive, but surely that number isn't true. If so, Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox would be billionaires.

I don't know if this is innacurate, but I remember reading that the main cast get something like $20m a year from re-runs. This may have been in the height of TV re-runs before Netflix etc took a big chunk out of residuals, but if anything I feel a net worth of $4m for being in 150 episodes of the biggest/most re-run sitcom (actually, is it the biggest? If it's not, it's close to it alongside Seinfeld) is conservative.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 25, 2021, 02:27:22 PM

Take any of these net worth figures with a pinch of salt but the residuals keep on coming, I saw a podcast clip recently with Larry Thomas (The Soup Nazi) where he talks through how much he has made from residuals and personal appearances etc, he says it has amounted to "a decent living".