Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,324
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:42:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Coffee Friends Coffee Gunther

Started by Bad Ambassador, October 24, 2021, 10:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I used to live next door to a couple of comedy actors, and I'd feed their cat for them when they went on holiday. One time there was a residuals statement on the dining table - £5 for a Malaysian repeat of The Darling Buds of May. Now admittedly she was only in one episode, and Friends was much more widely syndicated but you'd need a lot of those to add up to $4 million.

JaDanketies

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 25, 2021, 02:27:22 PM
$4 million is an incredible fortune. I know Friends was massive, but surely that number isn't true. If so, Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox would be billionaires.

The main Friends were paid $750,000 - $1m per episode by the end of the show's run. Fraiser got $1.6 million per episode and Ray from Everyone Loves Raymond  got $1.725 million per episode at around the same time so they were actually pretty cheap

Icehaven

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 25, 2021, 03:19:12 PM
The main Friends were paid $750,000 - $1m per episode by the end of the show's run. Fraiser got $1.6 million per episode and Ray from Everyone Loves Raymond  got $1.725 million per episode at around the same time so they were actually pretty cheap

It baffles my head to think Everybody Loves Raymond got paid more than Frasier. Is it because ELR was based on Romano's "comedy" or because it's presumably much bigger in America (you rarely hear/see anything about it over here even when it's being repeated at 5am on Channel 4)? I've only ever seen the last 5 minutes of various episodes while waiting for whatever was on afterwards and found it unbearably hacky shit.

idunnosomename

Can imagine an episode where Fraiser Crane is appalled to find out the actor who plays him an alternate universe where he is a fictional stooge in a popular sitcom is paid 125k less than Everyone Loves Raymond.

"Well, you see, Fraiser, EVERYBODY loves Raymond!"

'Oh shut up Niles!!!'

studpuppet

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 25, 2021, 10:59:43 AM
Either with an oo as in Goonther or with a t instead of a th so as Goonter or Gunter.

Which has just reminded me it was the nickname of Jim Jefferies' mother.

imitationleather

He must make loads telling people "Happy birthday <insert name>. No soup for you!" via Cameo, right?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Stewart Lee Net Worth

There's the next standup tour name sorted

Captain Z

That figure must be miles off.

No way is he only 52.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 25, 2021, 03:10:12 PM
I used to live next door to a couple of comedy actors, and I'd feed their cat for them when they went on holiday. One time there was a residuals statement on the dining table - £5 for a Malaysian repeat of The Darling Buds of May. Now admittedly she was only in one episode, and Friends was much more widely syndicated but you'd need a lot of those to add up to $4 million.

It's because Friends went over 100 episodes and went to syndication, meaning cable channels all over the world could buy the lot and show them all day long, at which point anyone with any investment in the show never has to work again. Weird fact: Fash Goon Steve Bannon had points in Seinfeld, which is how he can afford to be as big a prick as he likes forever.

ITV News said that Gunther was often described as the "unofficial seventh Friend". CITATION FUCKING NEEDED MATE.

He was a background character who occasionally made a tit of himself in front of one of the main characters. He had no personal relationship with any of the Coffee Friends. It's a shame James Michael Tyler died so young and so tragically, but lets not lose all sense of perspective in order to make it seem more significant a loss.

No, Janice is the closest we had to a seventh Coffee Friend. And when Maggie Wheeler passes I will mourn her loss for seven whole days and seven whole nights in tribute.

Icehaven

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on October 26, 2021, 05:14:46 PM
It's because Friends went over 100 episodes and went to syndication, meaning cable channels all over the world could buy the lot and show them all day long, at which point anyone with any investment in the show never has to work again. Weird fact: Fash Goon Steve Bannon had points in Seinfeld, which is how he can afford to be as big a prick as he likes forever.

I've never heard of Steve Bannon so just presumed that was supposed to say 'parts' or 'a part' and that he was someone in a few episodes like Kenny Bania or that guy who said Jerry was a phoney. Got that wrong didn't I.

JamesTC

The monkey was the seventh friend. The chick and the duck were eighth and ninth. If Janice is tenth then we probably need to put the lesbians and Ross' son (whatever he was called) as eleventh through thirteenth. That makes Gunther the fourteenth friend.

Icehaven

Monica and Ross's parents were more rounded characters too, so I'd have them as 14 and 15.

Magnum Valentino

Wasn't Paul Rudd the closest to the seventh Friend

ishantbekeepingit

Let's not forget the hilarious antics of Ugly Naked Guy.

gilbertharding

Icehaven

I think whoever died first was always going to get to be the seventh Friend.

JamesTC

When Ugly Naked Guy dies there will be a week of mourning.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on October 26, 2021, 07:15:26 PM
When Ugly Naked Guy dies there will be a week of mourning.
please don't be so disrepectful of Prince Philip, it is not amusing.

Icehaven

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 26, 2021, 07:14:13 PM
Have we all just forgotten Mad Eddie?

He's had his own entire TV series, he's fine.

JamesTC

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 26, 2021, 07:28:52 PM
please don't be so disrepectful of Prince Philip, it is not amusing.

Ahh Prince Philip, the seventh Friend.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on October 26, 2021, 05:14:46 PM
Weird fact: Fash Goon Steve Bannon had points in Seinfeld, which is how he can afford to be as big a prick as he likes forever.

How come? Did he put money up for it? He wasn't in any kind of creative or production role was he?

Jerzy Bondov

What happened to the guy that played Russ

frajer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 26, 2021, 07:59:06 PM

It's actually pretty bleak

He turned out to be David Schwimmer.

JamesTC

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 26, 2021, 07:59:06 PM

He died of chlamydia. RIP the seventh Friend.

Captain Z

Quote from: icehaven on October 26, 2021, 07:31:29 PM
He's had his own entire TV series, he's fine.

It was called Best Of The Friends.

How quickly you all forget Helen Baxendale.

I once thought of starting a "Best Gunthers" thread, to discuss very minor characters with repeat appearances. But Gunther wasn't even close to being the best Gunther. And that might be the most Gunther thing of all.

JamesTC

Just realised they should have just called the Joey spinoff Friend.