Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oliver Stone

Started by 12 Storey Crisis, March 01, 2004, 05:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronson

Quote from: "jutl"
Quote from: "Lord Spong"
Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"Btw, has anyone else seen Talk Radio? One of the great 'lost' films of the eighties. Incredibly claustrophobic, menacing atmosphere, and a stellar performance from Eric Bogosian in the lead role.

I've seen it.  I remember it was on late at night on either BBC1 or BBC2 years ago.  I think it might have been part of a 'Moviedrome' season, beacuse I'm sure I can remember Alex Cox or somebody doing an intro piece to it.  Anyway, I remember I really enjoyed it, I'd love to see it again.  The only other film I've seen Eric Bogosian in is 'Under Siege 2: Dark Territory'..

He's in Atom Egoyan's Ararat as well - good performance in a good film (as with Talk Radio). I seem to remember that Bogosian was actually a DJ, and that Talk Radio was based on a play he wrote about his experiences.

He also wrote a play called Suburbia, which Richard Linklater (Dazed And Confused, Slacker) turned into a superb movie six or seven years ago. He's one of those guys who floats around the perimeters of the American film industry, regularly turns in really interesting stuff but he's rarely acknowledged.

Anybody actually seen The Hand? I believe it's a fairly schlocky apprentice effort at directing, wouldn't mind checking it out though.

gazzyk1ns

Nah but I've seen Slacker and I think Suburbia, not that I can remember the latter. I loved Dazed And Confused but found Slacker to be really boring, you could tell he was going with the "no real plot or direction" (in traditional terms) which worked so well for D&C but for me it failed with Slacker, I think he might have been trying a bit hard.

Ronson

king mob

Quote from: "Ronson"Actually, I haven't seen The Hand. I thought Suburbia was bleak and stagey and grey urgh.

Its really, really bad & the hand is as scary as Bagpuss.

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Nah but I've seen Slacker and I think Suburbia, not that I can remember the latter. I loved Dazed And Confused but found Slacker to be really boring, you could tell he was going with the "no real plot or direction" (in traditional terms) which worked so well for D&C but for me it failed with Slacker, I think he might have been trying a bit hard.

Anyone see Tape and Waking Life? Two of the best movies of 2002 I would have though, be interested to hear other people's views...

Ronson

Ronson

king mob

Quote from: "Ronson"Doesn't the poster rip off 'Alien'.

It does a bit.

Funny how Caine never mentions the film...

Ronson

king mob

Dont mention Jaws 4 it might upset Mundays.

Lord Spong

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "Ronson"Actually, I haven't seen The Hand. I thought Suburbia was bleak and stagey and grey urgh.

Its really, really bad & the hand is as scary as Bagpuss.

I thought it was quite entertaining, in a schlock horror kind of way, but I was about nine years old when I watched it.*

*The Hand, not Bagpuss.

Ronson

king mob

Jaws 3 was in funky 3D which hid the fact it was dreadful & a rip off of Hook Jaw from Action comic, which shows that what goes around comes around.

sorry, i cant stop thinking about Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3,oh the humanity!!!

Ronson

king mob

I have, i saw Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D as well.

bill hicks

falafel

I'm looking forward to Alexander. Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great... Jared Leto as Alexander the Great's boyfriend (or so some historians say). There's this big old resurgence in historical stuff since Gladiator, isn't there (duh). Not too sure about most of this sort of film, though.

As for the Luhrman flick - Di Caprio, I'm utterly convinced, will make a dreadful hero. Hardly a leader of men, is he? I hope they don't make it a musical... Alexander!

Anyway. Oliver Stone = Good. Generally.

king mob

Quote from: "bill hicks"You poor bastard.

Quite, i saw Spacehunter in 3D as well.

Ronson

Mister Cairo

The Duck Man

I have an exam on Stalin on Monday. Help me.

Cerys

Just point out that he had a big moustache and posed for photographs with a small girl on his knee to make him look 'appealing'.

I watched The Doors today, having finally bought it on DVD.  I saw it in the cinema when it came out, loved it, and was subsequently fated with it when it came to videos.  Three times I taped it.  One copy I lent to a friend who accidentally taped over it, one I lent to a friend who left town with it, and the third I refused to lend to anyone, but was taped over by a flatmate.  With boxing, or something.  But now I have my own DVD copy which will not be lent out.  Ever.  Until someone really begs.

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "The Duck Man"I have an exam on Stalin on Monday. Help me.

He was a brutal, heartless man.

(^ Repost of one of my few proper mongs, of which I'm a bit proud. Ithangew.)

-