Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are you Skyped yet? (Or, do you want free phone calls forever..?)

Started by Pinball, February 03, 2004, 01:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Interesting article in Fortune about the next scheme by the folks who brought us Kazaa - free VOIP. Sure, services like Net2Phone have offered Voice Over Internet Protocol for years, but not for free or with such (allegedly) good quality. Essentially, Skype is a small P2P app that enables PC to PC phone calls instead of file transfers. Nice. Phone to phone or PC to phone would be nicer, of course, but I suspect that's where they'll want to make their money. Still, I'm gonna be using it. You's? ;-)

Article clicky

Uncle_Z

Perhaps I am being dim but since it is only PC to PC voice comms how is it a major leap from Teamspeak or Gamevoice?

Even with quality compressed to a level where it does not significantly interfere with bandwidth you can chat freely on either.

Pinball

Good point - perhaps Hype would be a better name for their prog? ;-)

Timmay

What about voice over MSN Messenger? Quality on that has been fine for ages. Even video is nearly properly usable.

TOCMFIC

It's all hype. Just get Yahoo Instant Messenger. Bingo, instant voice. I talk to my Dad back in England over the net every week. (And no, you don't need broadband. My Dad can run his webcam, view my webcam, and do the voice chat all on his 56k modem.)