Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone got a TV with 50HZ or 100HZ scan. Is it imporant?

Started by nixon, March 01, 2004, 10:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nixon

well, anyone got one?.  The reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting a new Panasonic Flatscreen 32" TV and was wondering if I should try and get a 100HZ ?  I can only probably get the 50HZ with my savings, but does it matter?
cheers

gazzyk1ns

Most 100Hz TVs I've watched seem to be easier on the eye, but then also display artifacts like giving a football a "tail", because they have to duplicate some frames. I'm going on models from a couple of years ago though, maybe they're improved now.

Personally, I'd not bother... "personally" being the operative word. You know what sales monkeys are like in shops these days, give yourself an extended demo of both options. And if you watch any ball sport regularly, be sure to audition that because of the motion blur issue.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Well considering that you're probably already watching a tv with 50Hz then no, it shouldn't be much different.

Timmay

Not sure it's a biggy really. I've got a 100Hz one in the living room, and I must admit it looks a lot less flickery than all the other tellies in the house. I guess for that reason, it's nicer to look at for long periods - like Bored Of The Rings for example. *yawn*

There are a lot of technicalities we (well, Ambient Sheep) could go into, but they're boorrring. Get one if you can easily stretch to one, or are considering keeping your telly for a while. After all, you don't want to be 6/7 years down the line, with the only shitty 50Hz telly on the street, and getting laughed at by your mates. That's as technical as my argument gets.

gazzyk1ns

Well it's a strange one, isn't it... in one way it improves the picture (with regards to eye strain), and in another it degrades it (frame duplication, time resolution decay). There's no way to decide on paper I'm afraid Nixon, they both have potentially undesirable artifacts, you've got to see which is more personally desirable for you.

Alberon

I know they're never set up properly in shops, but I've yet to see a 100Mhz telly that isn't a murky blur.

I'd like to see one set up properly so i could judge fairly, but from what I've seen I couldn't stand them for five minutes.

Timmay

Quote from: "Alberon"I know they're never set up properly in shops, but I've yet to see a 100Mhz telly that isn't a murky blur.
I think if I was trying to look at a 100MHz telly, it'd be a blur too. Might even be able to watch Kiss 100 on it.

I would offer for you to come see my properly set up 100Hz telly, but you don't really exist anyway. None of ya do.

Frinky

AlanFarty

100Hz TVs look nice, but if you're into lightgun video games (like House of the Dead, Time Crisis, Resident Evil Dead Aim etc) then go for something else. There's something about the technology that fucks up the gameplay.

I haven't checked recently, but aren't big fuck-off flat panels TVs getting cheaper nowadays?

Alberon

Quote from: "Timmay"
Quote from: "Alberon"I know they're never set up properly in shops, but I've yet to see a 100Mhz telly that isn't a murky blur.
I think if I was trying to look at a 100MHz telly, it'd be a blur too. Might even be able to watch Kiss 100 on it.

Yeah, just been talking to someone online about upgrading my CPU. That's my excuse for this embarresing mistake anyway.
Quote from: "Timmay"
I would offer for you to come see my properly set up 100Hz telly, but you don't really exist anyway. None of ya do.
Well, of course not, how could any of us exist outside of your diseased imagination. I mean just look at us.

nixon

Quote from: "AlanFarty"

I haven't checked recently, but aren't big fuck-off flat panels TVs getting cheaper nowadays?

if you mean plasma .... yes.  they are now £4,000  instead of  £6,000.  WAY out of my league.  Anyway, everyone knows that Plasmas knacker out after 3 years anyway.  Screen burn and the like.

The best TV's  STILL are CRT.

Borboski

Evenin',

What's the difference between 60 and 75 herz on my pc monitor? Why do some forums recommend you change the refresh rate to make games faster - this was esp so for Pro Evo Soccer, but it didn't make a difference to me, as it was pretty fine anyway?

Timmay

AFAIK, it's not usually the 100Hz feature that messes moving pictures up. It's the fault of the other image processing gubbins you get on TVs of that standard. Things like Sony's DRC doesn't help moving pictures, but you can always switch that off if it really grates. Personally, and I stress personally, I watch a fair amount of footy on it and I leave it on. It's not really noticable after a while.

With regards the lightgun game comment, I've played Time Crisis many times on my telly, with no problems at all. And yes, plasma screens are becoming more affordable. But if I'm going to replace my telly soon, I'd go with a projector. Sure, the quality isn't as pin sharp, but you can have as big a screen as you have walls, you can move it without needing 2 grown men to help, it doesn't take a huge chunk of your living space, and doesn't cost £3k that most plasmas do at the moment.

Currently I have one on 'loan' from work, which is pointing at the bedroom ceiling above the bed. It's got the Xbox connected most of the time - PGR2 in 84" diagonal beauty. And I can lie down when playing. Very relaxing. Course, it's useful hooked up to the DVD player for watching other things, but I won't go into that now.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Borboski"Evenin',

What's the difference between 60 and 75 herz on my pc monitor? Why do some forums recommend you change the refresh rate to make games faster - this was esp so for Pro Evo Soccer, but it didn't make a difference to me, as it was pretty fine anyway?

I can't think that they're talking sense at all, unless there's some specific issue with PES. The measurement in Hz of your monitor is how often it "illuminates" itself with whatever picute. 85hz and above is probably "perfect" for 99.999% of humans.

The framerate is different, that will depend on the settings of the game and/or your graphics card and PC.

I don't want to sound arrogant but my previous post said it all, anything like this (compressed audio quality, video quality) is all perceived because we all see and hear very differently, and it can only be judged by the individual, the only option is to have a personal trial of some sort.

nixon

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
I don't want to sound arrogant but my previous post said it all, anything like this (compressed audio quality, video quality) is all perceived because we all see and hear very differently, and it can only be judged by the individual, the only option is to have a personal trial of some sort.

I think I may have too, as there does seem to be split opinion.   Mnay thanks for the comments so far.

:-)

hencole

If you buy a cheap 100hz tv then you will notice some dodgey effects. To be honest the only 100 tv I've pent a great deal looking at is my Mums B&O which is superb, but at the price she paid for it I should think so.

nixon

Quote from: "hencole"If you buy a cheap 100hz tv then you will notice some dodgey effects..

The panasonics are £700 for the 50HZ    and £800 +  for the 100HZ.

Is that cheap?

swinny

Quote from: "Timmay"AFAIK, it's not usually the 100Hz feature that messes moving pictures up. It's the fault of the other image processing gubbins you get on TVs of that standard. Things like Sony's DRC doesn't help moving pictures, but you can always switch that off if it really grates.

Couldn't agree more...I got myself a new TV a few months back (Thomson 28" Wide 100Hz flat-screen)...not the most expensive or flashy of makes, but it looks and sounds almost as good as the 32" Panasonic we have downstairs that cost nearly 3 times as much!...The only problem I had with it was the aforementioned "trailing" - which was practically unbarable when playing Fifa'04 on the Gamecube....really considered taking it back until I found a "Noise Reduction" setting...turned it off and voila, all trailing gone with no loss of picture quality (in fact, it all seemed sharper)...

So just to back up Timmay really that it isn't necessarilly just the 100Hz technology that leads to the blur...and above all that I agree with everyone else that 100Hz is much easier on the eyes!