Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] Gear: Mini-sampler?

Started by Morrisfan82, September 06, 2005, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrisfan82

I used to be up on new music gear and stuff for ages, but my interest waned when the market became an endless roundabout of dance modules.

Now I find myself interested in getting a mini sampler for use when DJing (and probably for pricking about with when bored as well). Thing is, I don't know what models have come out these last few years (if any). I'm presuming that the range has moved on slightly from the Yamaha SU-10s and Akai S20s of this world.

Something smallish with a set of nice proddable pads, some kind of tap-tempo function, and a useable method of transferring samples (USB or something? Zip disks would be OK too). Oh, and something that wouldn't come in more expensive than a turntable, preferably.

Anyone know of something that would fit the bill?

Danorak

That'll be a Kaoss pad for you then, young man.
If you just want a sampler that'll loop stuff easily, and has pads for triggering one-shot samples, I've got an old Roland MS-1 that's looking for a home...

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Danorak"That'll be a Kaoss pad for you then, young man.
That's a controller with a limited sampling capabilty. I was after something I can load a bank of beats and stabs onto and take it out with me.

Something like the old Akai S20 would be ideal, except for the fact that you have to load everything up from floppies. I would've thought by now someone would've made something that you can transfer WAVs onto from a PC, and have them sitting in some sort of flash ROM (like the SU-10 had).

QuoteIf you just want a sampler that'll loop stuff easily, and has pads for triggering one-shot samples, I've got an old Roland MS-1 that's looking for a home...
Cheers, but again it's a bit inflexible for what I'm after.

Danorak

Maybe something like an Akai MPC would do it?  You can transfer files from a PC via USB, it has pads and a tap tempo facility.  You could probably pick one up on eBay pretty cheaply.  
Other than that it seems now that the assumption is that DJs will take a laptop with Reason and/or Live on it with them, so there doesn't seem to be much of a choice of hardware samplers any more.

Morrisfan82

The MPC's a great idea, except it'd be the size of a tank. :) Almost the price of a tank as well...

I've just found this about the Boss SP-303. No USB but it uses Smartmedia cards. Anybody own/used one?

Danorak

Apparently Madlib uses the SP303, so that'd be something of a recommendation...