Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA : San Andreas Officially Announced

Started by Tubgirl, March 02, 2004, 09:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubgirl

woohoo ! from rockstargames.com

GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS ANNOUNCED

Rockstar Games is pleased to announce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004. "In the past couple of years, we have put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure we do everything possible to exceed people's expectations with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," stated Sam Houser, President of Rockstar Games. "Even though we still have eight months to go, we are starting to become very proud of what we have achieved and we can't wait to get the game into players' hands." Leslie Benzies, President of Rockstar North, stated, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values." Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.
[/b][/b]

Vermschneid Mehearties

What a mistake. Why don't they just develop it exclusively for the PS3. They'll have a load of time to make something outstanding for the latest hardware, and not a 4 year old console that hasn't produced anything with any graphical panache for the last 18 months.

I guess that's what happens when they see the dollar signs though eh?

nixon

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"What a mistake. Why don't they just develop it exclusively for the PS3.

AND THE XBOX or XBOX 2!!!!

At the end of the day, Both consoles can run the damn thing.  XBOX owners ain't gonna be happy!  Including me!

Vermschneid Mehearties

It's 'exclusive', which nowadays means 3 months. I'm sure Xbox owners will get something out of it, especially seen as GTA Double Pack was released.

Interestingly, Rockstar have also copyrighted "GTA: Sin City", so they might be crafty and release that exclusively for xbox, so people are tempted to get more hardware, which in turn will generate more software sales.

hencole

This will be uninspired rubbish. They should wait untill next generation where they will be able to add something to the genre. Greedy bastards.

Frinky

Hencole: Sigh.

And the XBox will be getting it, at least thats the plan - you got the double park early on the provision that the PS2 would get San Andreas first - hence, you will get it, but expect it to be a good while.

jutl

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"It's 'exclusive', which nowadays means 3 months.

I think it means 'as long as Sony are prepared to pay for'. Prince of Persia stayed exclusive over Christmas because that was what Sony paid for. With GTA I think they'll pay for a longer deal, for obvious reasons.

edit to add

Quote from: "IGN"IGN spoke with Rockstar Games officials, but no more information was revealed. GTA: San Andreas completes Rockstar's exclusivity arrangement with Sony Computer Entertainment, which was modified last year to permit GTA III and GTA Vice City to appear on Xbox last fall. Thus, we suspect GTA: San Andreas might very well appear on Xbox one year after the fall 2004 PS2 release in fall 2005.

from http://ps2.ign.com/articles/495/495767p1.html

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteThis will be uninspired rubbish. They should wait untill next generation where they will be able to add something to the genre. Greedy bastards.

Yes.

Unless they change their controller, the GTA series will never improve, as the combat is so clumsy and awful. Even the Xbox controller fails to give you enough sense of precision, and that's a distance better than the PS2's or the GC's controller. Plus, the control system itself needs a lot of work.

Actually this will be a fantastic game just as GTA: Vice City was exactly the same as GTA3 but still great.

Their mistake is putting it out on the PS2 for about 7 months before putting it onto the superior platform that is the PC - PC users will likely get this around May 2005 like GTA3 & GTA: Vice City before it which, considering it was us PC users that made the GTA franchise what it is today, is a bit of a slap in the face.

The thing is, they're onto a winning formula for a certain demographic. I know it's going to be the same game as the last two - but I'll still buy it, and I'll buy as many more as they'll churn out as long as they maintain the apparent amount of effort they put in, just like some people (idiots) will buy all the expansion packs of the Sims so that they can make it an actual computer game instead of a waste of time.

At least this ends their exclusivity contract with Sony and considering their recent moves out onto the XBox, I don't see it getting renewed. Although that might just be wishful thinking.

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Unless they change their controller, the GTA series will never improve, as the combat is so clumsy and awful. Even the Xbox controller fails to give you enough sense of precision, and that's a distance better than the PS2's or the GC's controller. Plus, the control system itself needs a lot of work.

You seem to be ignoring the PC entirely here as the control system is flawless on that, and experience PS2 users seem to be able to control it fine. You're talking out of your arse.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I'm definately having mixed feelings over whether to get it. If Vice City showed us anything, it's that different colours and an all-star cast can make a very similar game that bit more enjoyable.

Looking at the style of San Andreas, I don't think it will have such an appeal that the saturated, camp 80's Vice City. If the combat is the same as well...then the game really won't be going anywhere.

Games which exploit consoles fully rarely manage to equal the success of the original, and it's testament to Vice City's quality that it's managed to do that, but a third time? Will the public really buy into that?

If you ask me, there's a game which is looking more promising than any GTA at the moment, and it's the horribly titled Driv3r.

Nice is on it too!

I've gone bloody rollerblading down there!

Frinky

Rollerblading is so 1992. I've walked down there, though. So, there you go.

They should really set one of these games in Watford, it's the best town ever for this sort of stuff, it really is.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Nice is so 1992 though. Got to get in gear.

Rev

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Looking at the style of San Andreas, I don't think it will have such an appeal that the saturated, camp 80's Vice City. If the combat is the same as well...then the game really won't be going anywhere.

How have you managed to look at the style of San Andreas?  All they've done is confirm the title so far...  there are no images knocking about or anything.  Apart from that logo, but it looks like that was knocked up by the website.  Liberty & Vice City in the first game bear no resemblance whatsoever to the later incarnations, so that's not much of a guide.

I'd imagine that they'll be grafting on the character control and combat system from Manhunt, which would improve the thing somewhat.  Unless they're double-lazy gets, of course.

Vermschneid Mehearties

What I was trying to say was, Vice City had a unique appeal, outside of the GTA series for being full of nostalgia and style. GTAIII was mainly bought because it was the first 3D GTA. I'm just wondering who's going to buy a PS2 exclusive of GTA:San Andreas than some fairly easily-fooled casual gamers.

Regular John

chand

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I'm just wondering who's going to buy a PS2 exclusive of GTA:San Andreas than some fairly easily-fooled casual gamers.

People who only have PS2s, or have PS2s and PCs that are a bit too slow to run new games?

Vermschneid Mehearties

I think you might have missed the point. I was trying to point out that the game maybe exactly the same, but with different colors, rendering it hardly worth spending 40 nicker on.

chand

Ah, I didn't realise you were being so pre-emptive about a game with virtually no details as yet.

There wasn't much of a difference between Vice City and GTAIII, though I speak as someone who didn't give a shit about the 'cool' 80s nostalgia soundtrack. I got Vice City because of the missions, I suppose. I dunno what more to expect from a sequel other than slight tweakings and slightly better graphics, surely any gameplay differences are irrelevant to whether the game comes out on PS2 or PS3 or PC, in what is essentially a driving game. I'd imagine that Rockstar will bring out a next-gen GTA when the time comes anyway.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteI'd imagine that Rockstar will bring out a next-gen GTA when the time comes anyway.

Oh, I'm positive of that. I just think that proves it is a needless money making exercise, which is probably worth boycotting.

If they spent the time between now and the next rash of consoles, they could produce something that would really stun us, like what has happened in the past with Goldeneye, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Mario64 and Shenmue (which was originally developed for the Saturn).

chand

I think there is one games company that's already working on a PS3 title, some racing game or other.

I'm not that bothered about a new GTA though anyway, I always give up somewhere near the middle when I'm required to do some daft mission and play something else instead. I think on Vice City it was the one where you have to fly a twatty little helicopter and bomb some boats with it.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Yep. And if you think about it- it's often the cacky controls that make you bugger up the missions. I get the most frustrated when factors beyond my control end up making me fuck things up.

The times right to invest in PC gaming. Developers have got just about everything from the consoles. The PS2 will probably have its final product as Gran Turismo 4, the GC probably with (Help?)..something..and the Xbox with either Halo 2/Half-Life 2/Doom III/Fable/BC one of those.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Even the Xbox controller fails to give you enough sense of precision, and that's a distance better than the PS2's or the GC's controller.

Bang wrong.

Have you actually held a Gamecube controller? They're fucking lush.

Although comparing accuracy between console controllers is a bit like comparing sexual normalcy in a room full of Huntleys.

Mr Flunchy

Everyone's being remarkably judgemental about this game, especially considering the only detail we know is the name of it.  Why don't we wait to play it and THEN spew our bile over it rather than getting all pissy now?

Marcus Or Relius

Quote from: "chand"
I'm not that bothered about a new GTA though anyway, I always give up somewhere near the middle when I'm required to do some daft mission and play something else instead. I think on Vice City it was the one where you have to fly a twatty little helicopter and bomb some boats with it.

I'm re-playing Vice City at the moment, having lost all my old saved games during a hard-drive disaster last year. I've reached that very level with the helicopter and it's pissing me off, almost as much as the one with the RC helicopter dropping sticks of dynamite at certain points at a building site.

A 3D version of the London GTA add-on would be neat, then we can drive on the right side of the road in our hijacked cars. By 'right' I mean left of course.

Frinky

Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"I'm re-playing Vice City at the moment, having lost all my old saved games during a hard-drive disaster last year. I've reached that very level with the helicopter and it's pissing me off...

What level is this? I completed the whole thing on the PS2 but can't recall it?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Marcus Or Relius"I'm re-playing Vice City at the moment, having lost all my old saved games during a hard-drive disaster last year. I've reached that very level with the helicopter and it's pissing me off...

What level is this? I completed the whole thing on the PS2 but can't recall it?
Is it not quite early on, the one where you partially blow up the big half-made building on the construction site?
On the subject of the new GTA, I am really looking forward to it. As long as this installment maintains the high standard of missions of the last two had I will be buying it and I'm sure it will give me entertainment for a few hundred hours. I prefered GTA3's landscape as it had more hills and was a lot better for cruising around in a banshee, I hope the new one isn't as flat as VC. I enjoy doing the missions but find driving around the map in cars and bikes a lot more fun, so as long as it's a decent map with the usual cars and good radio stations I'll be happy. I don't care which console it's out on, I'd be perfectly happy with it only being released on the PS2.

Purple Tentacle

Liberty City = New York
VIce City = Miami
San Andreas = San Francisco

Therefore SA will be hilly as fuck.

(For any 14 year olds out there, those were the original 3 levels on GTA1)

Mr Flunchy

I thought the one thing missing from Vice City were some hills.  Although, I suppose Miami isn't particularly hilly..

Johnny

QuoteI'm re-playing Vice City at the moment, having lost all my old saved games during a hard-drive disaster last year. I've reached that very level with the helicopter and it's pissing me off, almost as much as the one with the RC helicopter dropping sticks of dynamite at certain points at a building site.

There's a way round this mission if you're on the one I'm thinking of. Try flying around the mission area into the area of grassland which is behind the little jetty. You can then steer the RC helicopter into the guys who are standing on the jetty (they don't get into their boats until your fly the plane "into" the mission). If you drive the plane straight into them, they fall over - do it 3 or 4 times and they die. Do this for each one (make sure you don't drive the plane into the water - some of the gang members are standing right by the edge...)
You can then circle round and bomb the stationary boats at your leisure.
Hope that helps

Rev

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"What I was trying to say was, Vice City had a unique appeal, outside of the GTA series for being full of nostalgia and style. GTAIII was mainly bought because it was the first 3D GTA. I'm just wondering who's going to buy a PS2 exclusive of GTA:San Andreas than some fairly easily-fooled casual gamers.

No, GTA3 sold by the shedload because it was a cracking game.  In terms of gameplay and longevity, I'd say that the two 3D GTAs are pretty much peerless.  'Easily-fooled casual gamers' are the kind of people who look for graphics enhancements first, buy the thing if it looks pretty, then cast it aside when it turns out to be a bit too difficult for them to get through.  

As for nostalgia and style, if they do opt to go for the anticipated route of setting it in the late sixties, then there's loads of potential there.  I'm willing to wait and see with this one.