Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA : San Andreas Officially Announced

Started by Tubgirl, March 02, 2004, 09:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

Completely stolen from Uncleclive.co.uk
http://www.uncleclive.co.uk/part2.html

Playstation Owner

Despite no longer being the new kids on the gaming block and entering their second generation, the average Playstation owner's tolerance of shite software still has the power to amaze. 7 years on and they still haven't cottoned on to the the fact they are buying the same Football game every 6 months with minor statistical information changes. They still stand at TV screens in Electronics Boutique open mouthed watching FMV and longing for the day when games go back to using the 'D' buttons for directional movement.

Most likely to say:
A copy of FIFA2002 and latest issue of FHM please Mr. Shopkeeper....

Least likely to say:
A copy of ICO and the latest issue of EDGE please Mr. Shopkeeper....

X-Box Owner

If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find an X-Box user to show you how it's done. Shouting system specifications at every opportunity, this new breed of gamer wouldn't have dirtied their hands on a console had Microsoft not entered the fray muttering attractive words like "NVidia, 733hz, 64 MB DDR SDRAM", yet in their few short months as console gamers they are veritable experts in the medium, scoffing at the fools who are not clever enough to own the X-Box

Most likely to say:
"Have I shown you 'The Silent Cartographer' level in Halo?"
"Has anyone seen my Marilyn Manson CD?"

Least likely to say:
This controller was designed by a fucking idiot.

Nintendo Owner

Owners of the console from a company which has provided the gaming world with some of its finest moments, and don't they like everyone to know about it. Decent games do not exist on other platforms, and titles once labelled as 'utter shite' suddenly become 'brilliant!' upon appearance on the GameCube, a phenomenon knows as 'The Resident Evil effect'. Whether they are nervously playing Smash Brothers determined to try and find the fun in it or waiting patiently for AAA games to appear, the Nintendo owner's inability to criticise Nintendo is quite touching. Their ability to criticise anyone who criticises Nintendo however, is not.

Most likely to say:
"No, Nintendo are really looking after Europe this time around.... now, where can I buy a copy of 'Freeloader' so I can play imports?"

Least likely to say:
"You know, I can't be arsed to collecting all these trophies"

Dreamcast Owner

A strange bunch divided in two camps, those who supported the DC when it first came out, and those who are the vultures picking at the dead carcass of SEGA's hardware division, enjoying the spoils of war. The diehard players scream "where were you when SEGA needed you?" to which the newcomers respond "Does anywhere sell DC games cheaper than a fiver?".

These days they can be found wondering around Dixons looking confused, scratching their heads and wondering which of the remaining machines will be best supported by SEGA. Do not pity them, soon they will be one of the surrounding types.

Most likely to say:
"I was into PSO in the early days, before the idiots moved in"
Least likely to say:
"That was the worst ad campaign in the history of videogaming"

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Disappointing though, because if it was developed from the ground up specifically for the xbox, or even the PC we could be playing on something really extraordinary. Sony are effectively holding back the evolution of the title. That's what I think anyway.

Shockingly, I might be inclinded to agree with you here. The PS2 can't even come close to how a game could run on a high-end PC or XBox - that wouldn't just mean better graphics but.... other things as well. I mean, I'm not a game designer, but with higher spec in graphics card, processing speed etc. other benefits would surely come about.

However, I'm all for another GTA3-style GTA game, because the last two have been consistently good even though the last one was basically the same game. All they need to do is make one minor tweak or addition (the motorcycle in GTA:VC was WONDERFUL) and they'll be onto another winner and fair play to them.

Mr Flunchy

Hopefully they'll implement the combat and movement system from Manhunt - that'd smooth things out combat wise.

Rev

Quote from: "Mr Flunchy"Hopefully they'll implement the combat and movement system from Manhunt - that'd smooth things out combat wise.

Yep, and I believe I mentioned that earlier in the thread (smooths eyebrows with saliva).  Manhunt was developed by the same team as GTA, rather than one of Rockstar Games' international wings, and did seem to be based on a refined version of the GTA engine...  so it isn't a great stretch to expect SA to incorporate those elements.  Good, hopefully controlling the character on foot won't feel quite so much like blowing at a paper bag.

As for XBox advantages...  there are two:  better graphics and faster loading times.  That's your lot.  That's it.  GTA on the PS2 doesn't really push the graphics capabilities anyway, it goes for a certain look.  It could look prettier if they wanted it to look prettier, but it looks fine as it is.  Maybe there would be a case for developing it for PCs first, and then porting it to consoles, but that's a whole other something.  Innit.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"Disappointing though, because if it was developed from the ground up specifically for the xbox, or even the PC we could be playing on something really extraordinary.

What can the X-Box provide that the PS2 can't? Other than fancier graphics, which you've already derided as a pointless "improvement".

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteAside that, the xbox is easier to develop for, gives you more capacity (especially with the hard drive), and has a controller which gives you much more precision than the PS2 one.

That makes for less trouble for the developers, and extra capacity means more expansive levels, more missions, more open-ended gameplay, combine that with a precise controller which would be able to make the combat slightly less hamfisted, and more realistic graphics, and I think the effect will be very noticable indeed.

Mr Flunchy

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"
QuoteAside that, the xbox is easier to develop for, gives you more capacity (especially with the hard drive), and has a controller which gives you much more precision than the PS2 one.

That makes for less trouble for the developers, and extra capacity means more expansive levels, more missions, more open-ended gameplay, combine that with a precise controller which would be able to make the combat slightly less hamfisted, and more realistic graphics, and I think the effect will be very noticable indeed.

Plus, with the hard drive, you'd be able to record your destruction in more detail, AND have more cars on the road.  Imagine if destruction to the city was recorded - everyone would have a different city to play in after a few months.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Exactly. And certain online elements would be salivating, should they choose to do so.

Borboski

Gagh silly Xbox/PS2/etc thread!!!

Can anyone tell me how to finish off GTA. I have polished off all the missions I can, and have just done the film studio ones, but now nothing happens. I've had a couple of phonecalls from the out-of-town, saying "where's my fucking money?", so I was assuming he would turn up, but as of yet no luck...

bah.

Mr Flunchy

If they bundled the Ps2 HD with this game - it would be 'the best thing ever'.

But that's not going to happen.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteCan anyone tell me how to finish off GTA.

Don't forget the hidden packages, the car collecting missions and the store hold-ups.

Purple Tentacle

Don't kid yourself with the broadband "capabilities" of this GTA game, it was a massive problem with GTA3 and VC on the PC, and it doesn't look like going away any time soon, not without a SERIOUSLY high-spec PC.