Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yat Kha and other "world music"

Started by Huzzie, September 08, 2005, 02:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huzzie

Thanks to some whores I have been introduced to the Mongolian (OK, Tuvan) band Yat Kha and I can't get enough of them at the moment.

Santos B Friend linked their version of Love Will tear us apart, which I will add here

http://yat-kha.blogware.com/download/music/ReCovers/Albert_Kuvezin_Yat_Kha_Love_Will_Tear_Us_Apart.mp3

There

I sent it to my mate and he thought I was on a wind up. He thought it was me on guitar singing in a silly voice and I suppose most people will feel similarly but there is something to it which touches me more than the original.

Anyway, I was hoping this thread could be used as a discussion on other World Music bands as I am sure there are many people out there making great music and if it wasn't for places like this we would be forever ignorant.

I would like to mention (for Smiths fans mainly) The Ukranians who covered a few Smiths songs in a traditional Ukrainian way and also with Ukrainian lyrics.

Also Compay Segunda, who many became aware of through Buena Vista Social Club. Sadly he died last year at the age of 93/4 but he has left us with one of the most beautiful songs in Chan Chan. I have been sending this song to Whores for a few years now and everyone is stunned by it.

Anyway, I am in a mad rush so I will leave it for you now. I may rewrite this later if need be when I can think about what I am typing better.

Please don't let it sink we need more knowledge!

EDIT: If anyone can host Chan Chan and some Ukrainians stuff, I will happily send it along to them. If it is allowed.

djtrees

Ooh Yat Kha are very good (might be possibly touring with them at some point as well) as is loads of yer so called world music. I know some people see it as a white middle class type of thing to be into but if the cap fits then try these on for size:

Warsaw Village Band Fantastic folky fiddly nonsense with scratching and oddness to boot (on their second album that is)
In the Forest

Konono No1 Trancey like African gubbins played by men banging bits of rubbish
Konono No 1

WFMU Culture Shock World Music Thingy Big load of world music type stuff

Huzzie

DJTrees.

Thanks very much for them. I havent had a go yet but I defo will tommorw.

Do you think you will play Manchester in this tour? I will be there if you are.

I will reply to your links tommorow. Thanks.

Huzzie

Come on.

There were several people talkingexcitedly about these bands in a totally unrelated thread so why the fuck do they decide they can't be bothered when I have started a thread purposely.

I would have thought you lot would be ideal to have a debate about these largly unknown bands from the jungles of south America or the deserts of the middle east.

dot

You need a charity slant, they'll come crawling like the left winged yellow bellied fucks they are. Yap yap yap yap. Change the thread title to "You are eclectic, not through choice", at least sam will turn up and say "yes, the natives make very good bongo dead brothermadness"

thepuffpastryhangman

Two 'world musicy' albums I've been enjoying recently are:

Alkibar - Afel Bocoum http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00001QEON/104-2030334-7734317?v=glance

and

World Of Gypsies - Various http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056QEX/104-2030334-7734317?v=glance

Links for reviews, I'm not suggesting anyone should give Amazon money.