Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who is the true genius of modern music?

Started by Adina Loki, September 09, 2005, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adina Loki

butnut

butnut

smoker

simon cowell? evil genius

otherwise:

bjork
aphex twin
dj shadow

all leap from mind to fingertips

TJ

smoker

seems you have a split personality there einstein ;)

butnut

Quote from: "TJ"Jo O'Meara

You've changed teams then?

thepuffpastryhangman

Apart from Bob Dylan?

That'd be no one.

Or, do you mean someone who came to prominence this millenium?

That'd be no one.

Hehe.

[EDIT - due to my A star level GSCE spelling]

Dirty Boy

Is this for your college project? ;-)

Devin Townsend
Frank Zappa
Don Van Vilet
Mike Patton
DJ Shadow
Tim Smith
Tom Waits
Nick Cave
PJ Harvey
Las Ketchup

Are those that roll off the brain immediately.

El Unicornio, mang

Let's not forget Babylon Zoo's Jas Mann who said, and I quote "I will become a genius"...

Frinky

Albarn's better than most people realise, except for Albarn himself, becuase he thinks he's better than he really is.

Genius, though? I dunno. Skilled master craftsman of music, I suppose. Nowt we-owt Coxomophone, though

Adina Loki

Um it is something to do with college actually hehe!

mayer

Noel Gallagher (for his nack with melody)
Luke Haines (for the words)

imitationleather

I probably would say Damon Albarn. That new album by his cartoon band is really rather great.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "mayer"Noel Gallagher (for his nack with melody)

Yoinks!!! You are joking, aren't you???

Frinky

Quote from: "Adina Loki"sarcasm?

No, Albarn really is one of the finest modern musicians going, even if he is a tremendous, mate-firing, balding pillock with a tiny cock.

imitationleather

For once in my life I wasn't being sarcastic.

It's DARE!

JesusAndYourBush

For a story within a lyric - Tom Waits

For quirky melodies and stuff - Andy Partridge

mayer

Quote from: "Jim"

Do you honestly think he doesn't? (A nack of stealing it five times out of ten, sure, but yes, of course he does!)

Mediocre Rich

Dr Dre certainly has a genius for producing Rap.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "mayer"

Do you honestly think he doesn't? (A nack of stealing it five times out of ten, sure, but yes, of course he does!)

Well, putting aside for one moment that Oasis don't appeal to me at any level, I do think he's got a knack for melody, certainly (not melodies I like, but that's beside the point!). But I still don't hear anything particularly special with those melodies, certainly nothing that in any way elevates him to anywhere near the level of genius. I find that baffling...

I would say Aphex Twin, because for a long period (1994-99) he was producing music that sounded like nothing previously created.

e.g. Hangable Auto Bulb EPs (1995)
Girl/Boy Song EP (1996)
Richard D James Album (1996)
Come to Daddy EP (1997)
Windowlicker (1999)

After buying his new record, I'd go home, stick it on and think: "WTF is this?"

To take the most famous example, the Windowlicker EP blew my mind the first time I heard it. Everyone knows the amazing title track, of course, which sounded positively Martian in 1999. The second track [equation] was again unique, although painful to the ears! To cap things off. Nannou was a delicate little song, seemingly played using children's toys, with a rattle supplying the beat.

Three unprecedented songs on one 3-track EP – not an easy accomplishment!

mayer

Well, putting aside for one moment that Oasis don't appeal to me at any level, I do think he's got a knack for melody, certainly (not melodies I like, but that's beside the point!). But I still don't hear anything particularly special with those melodies, certainly nothing that in any way elevates him to anywhere near the level of genius. I find that baffling...

You don't think that writing melodies with that level of mass appeal takes a certain amount of genius? There are hundreds of thousands of people who would love to write songs like that, if only for the financial gain, but can't, so yeah, I think that takes Genius.

(And that's what makes me think it is the point that you don't like them!)

Frinky

Quote from: "mayer"You don't think that writing melodies with that level of mass appeal takes a certain amount of genius? There are hundreds of thousands of people who would love to write songs like that, if only for the financial gain, but yeah, I think that takes Genius.

Yehbutnobutyeh:

It's quite easy to write a lot of music (and melodies) that appeal to the lowest common musical denominator - I don't mean that in a snobby way, but anyone with a good grasp on music, especially guitar music, know that there are three or four easy steps to creating a melody that you have to try very hard not to like.

I'm not saying he's not good with melody, far from it, but perhaps the mass appeal isn't so much as result of being a genius, but perhaps a shrewd player (or lazy, but, yunno).