Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who is the true genius of modern music?

Started by Adina Loki, September 09, 2005, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "mayer"
Quote from: "Jim"
Well, putting aside for one moment that Oasis don't appeal to me at any level, I do think he's got a knack for melody, certainly (not melodies I like, but that's beside the point!). But I still don't hear anything particularly special with those melodies, certainly nothing that in any way elevates him to anywhere near the level of genius. I find that baffling...

You don't think that writing melodies with that level of mass appeal takes a certain amount of genius? There are hundreds of thousands of people who would love to write songs like that, if only for the financial gain, but can't, so yeah, I think that takes Genius.

(And that's what makes me think it is the point that you don't like them!)

Oh come on Mayer, you can't possibly think that, do you? Are you playing with our heads? You think that the ability to write music which has mass appeal is Genius? There's one thing saying Noel Gallacher is a genius, but to say that anyone who writes melodies with that level of mass appeal is a genius is utterly ridiculous.

For the record, I don't think Noel is a genius, I think he's a bit cunning but genius. Certainly not. He may be a very poor man's genius, a poor man who only ever owned one album in his entire life. Definitely Maybe.

EDIT: Take that back, he isn't even fucking cunning. If he was cunning he'd have saved some of his classic B-sides from the early days and slowly released them. They'd haved stayed at the top a bit longer then.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "9"Anton Newcombe.

And here's the proof:

The  Brian Jonestown Massacre - (David Bowie I Love You) since I was six

Aaah, yes, I forgot about Anton. Definite musical genius

Quote from: "mayer"You don't think that writing melodies with that level of mass appeal takes a certain amount of genius?
Haven't the likes of Westlife and Celine Dion got even greater mass appeal?

Darrell

Paul McCartney and Andy Partridge. Superhuman powers over melody and chords.

Frinky

Is Macca modern enough? If you're allowed him, I'm having Townshend and the rest of you can fuck off.

A Passing Turk Slipper

I'm not sure. Possibly Jack White although he's hardly a 'genius', he's just someone who has written loads of good songs, and I quite like his minimalist approach to making music. I'm not a massively big White Stripes fan, but I can't really think of any bands still making albums that I like as much, although as soon as I hit submit I'll remember loads.

imitationleather

If anyone says Kurt Cobain I'm nominating the dead drummer from Feeder.

jimmy jazz

Stuart Murdoch
Thom Yorke/ Johnny Greenwood

Peking O

Quote from: "Frinky"...with a tiny cock.

Don't ask how I know, but I can assure you that Albarn is, er, 'hung' as they say. Annoying isn't it?

Frinky

Quote from: "Peking O"Don't ask how I know, but I can assure you that Albarn is, er, 'hung' as they say. Annoying isn't it?

Ah, I was just following what Justine Fricheshcemann said about him. But hey, thanks, that's my week ruined.

Peking O

She said that? Christ, Brett Anderson must have to fold his up several times to stop it peeping out the end of his trousers. Anyway, back to the debate...

emo_bliss

Tori Amos. Her two most recent albums don't quite match the genius of, say, From The Choirgirl Hotel, but they're still fantastic. The level of artistry, imagination and creativity evident in her music is simply breathtaking, and she is a masterful live performer. The sheer ease with which she belts out complex melodies on two keyboards simultaneously is something which has to be seen to be believed.

I also see that Bjork has been mentioned earlier on in the thread - I'm in total agreement there.

Quote from: "emo_bliss"Tori Amos. Her two most recent albums don't quite match the genius of, say, From The Choirgirl Hotel, but they're still fantastic. The level of artistry, imagination and creativity evident in her music is simply breathtaking, and she is a masterful live performer. The sheer ease with which she belts out complex melodies on two keyboards simultaneously is something which has to be seen to be believed.

She is very very good, isn't she? And just ridiculously underrated. And don't anyone dare to mention her in the same breath as Kate Bush, or I'll tear ya a new one.

But the one true musical genius? Why, it has to be Kate Bush!

Abbie

Just how modern are we talking here?

I'd like to throw in Frank Black, Kim Deal (quelle surprise), Antony of the Johnsons, Jack White, Kurt Cobain (shut it) and Kristin Hersh. And Tanya Donelly. A subtle nod in the direction of Mike Skinner too.

Quote from: "imitationleather"If anyone says Kurt Cobain I'm nominating the dead drummer from Feeder.

Oooooooh.

Peking O

Quote from: "emo_bliss"The sheer ease with which she belts out complex melodies on two keyboards simultaneously is something which has to be seen to be believed.

Nah, piece of piss mate. Right Rick?

imitationleather

Quote from: "Abbie"
Quote from: "imitationleather"If anyone says Kurt Cobain I'm nominating the dead drummer from Feeder.

Oooooooh.

Yep. I am, as the slang goes, ccabing it.

Morgan

Has Mark E reared his head in this thread yet?

lazyhour

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"つんく♂

Oooh, for pop music, there's some truth to that.

Joy Nktonga

Lee Perry.
Maybe not the first person to do/invent/discover many things, but he had/has an undoubted talent for spotting new and emerging styles and trends and running with them as far as they would go. He's also exhibited a remarkable talent in developing new production techniques and recently discovered artists. He is not afraid to put himself on either side of the producer/performer divide. His output has brought reggae and dub and many, many of their respective offshoots and stars to global audiences. For these facts he could conceivably be considered a "genius" of modern music.

Dr. Dre.
Once again. maybe not the first person to do/invent/discover many things, but he spotted a new and emerging style and ran with it as far as it would go. He too has displayed a great talent in developing new production techniques and recently discovered artists. Like Perry, Dre is known on for his work on both sides of the producer/performer divide. His output has brought hip-hop and rap, in particular the g-funk and west-coast gangster styles and stars, to global audiences. For these facts he could conceivably be considered a "genius" of modern music.

Pepotamo1985

60s-80s epoch: Frank Zappa.

Early 90s: Patton

In General: Devin Townsend

Peking O

Quote from: "Pepotamo1985"Early 90s: Patton

Shurely Shome Mishtake?

Robot Devil

Rivers Cuomo.

That's right, fuck off the lot of ya.

jimmy jazz

Cuomo, good idea. Just for the Blue album. Pinkerton's good, but still...

lardboy

Tom Tortoise

The only person I can think of that is currently making music like no other is Aaron Funk (Venetian Snares).

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Frinky"Ah, I was just following what Justine Fricheshcemann said about him.
Really? Well that makes her unoriginal ex of the decade then doesn't it. Must make a point of not listening to her enormous canon (hee) ever again. Wonder if Allbran would say Tim Smith.

Fuck this genius word, but stick a bit of Trevor Horn in the mix.

Gazeuse

Jazzy B and Soul To Soul completely changed the way that music was made.