Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disturbing movies

Started by Adina Loki, September 13, 2005, 01:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analytical

Quote from: "Captain Crunch"About 68% of all relationship breakdowns are directly related to video shop based disagreements by the way.

Actually we did have a real falling out over her endless desire to watch Legally Blond and Legally Blond 2.    We were dealocked between which films we wanted and I said that she should choose thinking she'd compromise but nope... Legally blond it was.

It was a problem that didn't sort itself out until I started buying her those types of film on DVD for her birthday.

dot

the holy mountain, my god, that bloke shits icing sugar, that was hillarious. Pretentious, NO! Raw and creative, original, I can't belive it was made 30 years ago, best film I've seen in ages.

Vozvrashcheniye (The Return) is a Russian film that I found really disturbing when I watched it.  Two boys taken on "holiday" by their father who has come back from somewhere (you never find out where he came back from.  I won't spoil it in the unlikely event that any of you want to watch it by writing too much more.  It isn't gory or anything like that, it just messes with your head.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not for any moment in particular in the film, but the overall emotional effect on having seen The Assassination Of Richard Nixon is particularly disturbing. When it finished I just had to sit down for an hour and try and clear it from my head. It makes you want to commit suicide.

EDIT- IF Straw Dogs hasn't been mentioned I'll nominate it. A very unconventional film with disturbing scenes and leaves a very awkwards.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"Not for any moment in particular in the film, but the overall emotional effect on having seen The Assassination Of Richard Nixon is particularly disturbing. .

It didn't especially disturb me, but that final scene in the airport when he's wondering whether or not to go through with the hijack is a fucking stunning piece of cinema.

The final scene in the original foreign language version of 'The Vanishing' always leaves me feeling a little uneasy.  It's an absolute tragedy they felt the need to add a happy ending to the English language remake.

dan dirty ape

Anything involving being buried alive disturbs me.

Mr. Analytical

Ah yes... Kermode was going on about that this week.  Compared it to Wolf Creek as an example of a really creepy film... but only the dutch version.

As for being buried alive, I'm not claustrophobic but I once dreamy I'd been buried alive with just a tiny space around my head.  Unable to move my arms or body and with a light shining in my face.  I woke up fucking petrified lol

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Ah yes... Kermode was going on about that this week.  Compared it to Wolf Creek as an example of a really creepy film... but only the dutch version.

Absolutely.  It's creepy, obsessive and intense.  I urge anyone who has never seen the original Dutch version to check it out as soon as possible.  I first saw it on Channel 4 in the early 90s and it stayed in my mind for years afterwards.

lactating man nips

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"
...it's just like a cross between memento and fight club, then when we went to return it we saw the case on the shelf, and guess what quote was on the cover?

The quote really irritated me as it gave away 95 percent of the film. It is good though, Bale's physical transformation left me stunned for the first half an hour. Its got a very good score as well.

That Michael Ironside, he doesnt have much luck in films where his arms are concerned does he?

dot

I'm still reeling from the holy mountain, I think that was the best film I've ever seen so thanks to whoever reccomended it. I'm downloading el topo now.

Mr. Analytical

Interestingly, Jodorovski (sp?) the director of holy mountain continued on Moebius's Incal comic.  He wrote loads of stories about the Last of the Metabarons.

Neville Chamberlain

Had a romantic evening in with the wife watching Funny Games last night. I was hugely impressed and it is genuinely one of the most suspenseful (is that a word??) and disturbing films I've ever watched, definitely up there with Irreversible when it comes to that sick-in-the-gut-what-the-hell-was-that feeling when you wake up the next morning, although I definitely preferred Funny Games. The supense and sense of claustrophobia was, at times, almost unbearable, particularly after the first murder and the camera lingers and lingers and lingers on a person in the dark living room and you're not quite sure who's been murdered or who the figure is in the scene. The final murder was the most awful as it seemed like almost an aside. I was expecting her to be murdered in a dramatic way, but the nonchalance was utterly appalling - and I almost missed it, so it only dawned on me shortly afterwards making it even more what-the-fuck???

As one Internet reviewer said, it's either the blackest of black comedies or the most horrific of horror films. Either way, watch it if you haven't already.

Oh, this post is a *bump!*