Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why?

Started by Almost Yearly, March 02, 2004, 12:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

For example...

Quote from: "Nearly Annually"Why is the sky blue?
Blue light's short wavelength causes it to get scattered around loads more by oxygen and nitrogen molecules (not just dust) than the longer wavelengths (like red) of the other colours visible to us. The blue in the sky we see is this scattered blue light. Violet is scattered even more than blue light, but our eyes are much more sensitive to blue than violet, therefore we see the sky as blue. Ish. You shouldn't do Quantum Physics at bedtime, like cheese.

... or ...

I don't suppose you happen to know
Why the sky is blue? It's because the snow
Takes out the white. That leaves it clean
For the trees and grass to take out the green.
Then pears and bananas start to mellow,
And bit by bit they take out the yellow.
The sunsets, of course, take out the red
And pour it into the ocean bed
Or behind the mountains in the west.
You take all that out and the rest
Couldn't be anything else but blue.
Look for yourself. You can see it's true.

... depending on your philosophy, Horatio.

Quote from: "Virtually Perennially"Why are men hairier than women?
Nobody knows. It's not hormonal, apparently. One contentious suggestion is that men have consistently chosen smooth mates over hirsute ones. That Darwin bloke's got a lot to answer for. Men have hair where other apes don't - like moustaches and chest hair - but not enough to keep them warm. Go figure.

Quote from: "TJ once"What is the point of Kate Thornton?
To distract us from Mick Hucknall.

Post your questions and answer other people's here. Or don't - see if I chuffin' care.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Can idiocy be calculated?

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Carly Simon"Why does your love hurt so much?
I suspect he's doing it wrong.

edit: Either that or he's hung like a battering ram.

king mob

Why do office managers always have to be pointless jobsworths?

Whats the point of Vernon Kay?

Where has the fun gone?

Krang

Vermschneid Mehearties

king mob

Why cant people speak English to me instead of wittering on about "being in the loop" or "helping people think outside the box" ?

Why do skate kids look the same?

Why do fools fall in love?

TraceyQ

mitzidog

How does the man who drives a snow plough get to work

Is there anything smaller than the gap between freezing and scalding on the shower control

Why do you always think of the right thing to say EXACTLY five hours and twenty three minutes after the opportune moment (even if this wakes you at 4.17 in the morning)

Why can't I think inside the box (and am I dead or alive - or a cat?)

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Why not?
My kind of girl.

Quote from: "Krang"Why M C A?
Can't imagine.

Why is it every time my son borrows the car it comes back stinking like a filthy ashtray?

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Why is it every time my son borrows the car it comes back stinking like a filthy ashtray?
"...I dunno, it gives people jobs."

mook

Why is it that whatever I buy seems to be in a sale one day later?

Why do people still talk at me after all these years?

Why after 10 years of repeatedly explaining the offside rule to my girlfriend do they have to change it?

How do CD's work?

How the fuck does TIVO work?

Why do oysters taste so good but look so foul?

How does a wacom pen work with out batteries?

What was in those little wraps of tissue paper that could be bought at joke shops, which when chucked at a wall made such a loud bang?

Can you still buy them?

Why are printers so cheap?

Why after reading the Guardian for nearly 13 years do I find myself becoming more and more right wing?

Why I have I started dressing more and more like Larry David?

How the fuck do displacement maps work?  That one is probably aimed more at Fanny and CCAB.

Clarky Cat

Why do men have nipples ?

Why do the clocks *still* go back and forward each year ?

Can you smell onions ?

Marcus Or Relius

Quote from: "mook"
Why are printers so cheap?

Because the manafacturers of printers also make the cartridges, which cost a shitload (I think. I haven't actually used my printer for years but the last time I bought a colour ink-cartridge it cost £25, half the price of the damn printer.)

Whilst I'm here, why am I always bored and killing time by watching American Psycho for the 10,000th time and hanging around CaB when I'm sitting around the house on my days off, but when I'm at work I can think of a million exciting and potentially even productive things I would do if only I was at home?

Dr David V

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "mitzidog"How does the man who drives a snow plough get to work

In his snow plough.

king mob

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"

In his snow plough.

What if he's been drinking the night before and left it in the car park of his local?

mook

Snow plough drivers are notorious for their fondness of drink driving and lock-ins. They're not going to work in th morning they're going home.

butnut

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"

In his snow plough.

What if he's been drinking the night before and left it in the car park of his local?

Then he's a very irresponsible snow plough driver, and should be rightly sacked.

Perhaps the answer to that one should just be "late."

Quote from: "Dr David V"Coincidence?
And of course the Answers To Questions Raised In Songs thread springs to mind, especially after Muteki's contribution hereabove. Someone contacted me after that thread to ask permission to use some of mine on his website. Polite, I thought. For some reason I think it might have been Entropy Balsmach, but it might not. It would be nice to reclaim that thread wouldn't it, along with all the other Oldies, Goldies and Mouldies. I think we're all experiencing a bit of a motivational problem about that. So many moments lost... :-(

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Because I'm made of worms.

...was a good one, if I do say so myself.

Clarky Cat

Quote from: "mook"Why is it that whatever I buy seems to be in a sale one day later?

Ahh but is it any cheaper, or did they just slap a sale sign on it ?

QuoteWhy after 10 years of repeatedly explaining the offside rule to my girlfriend do they have to change it?

Douglas Adams (as soon as people figure out the meaning of the universe ...)

QuoteHow do CD's work?

I dunno ... but it does ...

QuoteHow the fuck does TIVO work?

Video -> MPEG encoder -> hard disk -> MPEG decoder -> TV

QuoteWhy do oysters taste so good but look so foul?

Because you are wrong, the taste how they look.

QuoteHow does a wacom pen work with out batteries?

Induction.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteWhy after reading the Guardian for nearly 13 years do I find myself becoming more and more right wing?

It's just you.

As Armando points out in his shows, "Isn't it strange how we all get more conservative as we get older?", then going on to hand a man a copy of The Guardian, stating "you'll like this less and less as you get older".

We're a typical Guardian household, so it came as somewhat of a surprise to discover that my mum thinks we're being overrun by asylum seekers, and my dad agrees with what Tony Martin did. Fortunately we had a chat and I've convinced them otherwise.

Uncle_Z

Quote from: "mitzidog"Is there anything smaller than the gap between freezing and scalding on the shower control

The gap between you misbehaving and being put in the box

QuoteWhy do you always think of the right thing to say EXACTLY five hours and twenty three minutes after the opportune moment (even if this wakes you at 4.17 in the morning)

It is a defensive mechanism installed for safety during the subconscious reflection that is embodied by time within the box.  A maximum six hour punishment period is mandatory, of which at least 37 minutes must be spent suffering under the full weight of the error of your ways.

QuoteWhy can't I think inside the box (and am I dead or alive - or a cat?)

Thought hinders the realisation process and would necessitate longer punishment.  Attempts to think are blocked by imagery of dubious '80's bands or species identity confusion.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Quote from: "Virtually Perennially"Why are men hairier than women?
Nobody knows. It's not hormonal, apparently.
Uh?  Shome mishtake, shurely?  I thought hairiness was directly linked to testosterone levels, which in turn are also correlated with sex drive (and baldness in those whose follicles are vulnerable to elevated testosterone levels, not everyone's are though).

Although women naturally have some levels of testosterone, it's not generally as high as in men.  However when women are given testosterone in lab experiments their voices deepen, they grow more hair in "unwanted" places, and they get randier and more aggressive.

Which means that every time I see a woman with hairy forearms, I think about the fact that she must have a high sex drive.

You started this topic just to tempt me into this thread, didn't you?

Ooh yesh, don't know why I typed that. It's androgens in general, I think. What I'd meant to ask was just Why? ... whatever the mechanism, why is it so? That's the one no-one knows. The ones who think we had aquatic ancestors love it. Anyway, oops.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Virtually Perennially"Ooh yesh, don't know why I typed that.
To lure me into the thread? ;-)

Quote from: "Virtually Perennially"What I'd meant to ask was just Why? ... whatever the mechanism, why is it so?
Ah I see.  Fairy nuff.  Good question, and one you had a stab at explaining.  And maybe answering...doesn't the "aquatic ape" theory try to explain that, in that the hair would be less aquadynamic?  Not that that stops polar bears mind you, but perhaps their huge muscles can hack the extra load, and it's so cold in the Arctic that if they didn't have the hair, they'd die.  Unlike our own fair climate.

mook

Why do you need three names? Isn't just AY good enough?

I'm not getting all Gazzyk1ns on your arse* by the way.

*should that be ass? Questions questions.Hmmm.

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "mook"Why do you need three names? Isn't just AY good enough?

mental illness

Vermschneid Mehearties

sore bottom mum seemed to be hogging the limelight. What next? Usually Annually?