Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Have NASA Found On Mars?

Started by Marcus Or Relius, March 02, 2004, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Or Relius

NASA scientists are "buzzing" according to CNN about something they've found on Mars, although they won't say until later today.

Aside from the rather amusing vision of a bunch of scientists literally buzzing -like great big vibrators with glasses and white-coats - whaddya think they've found on Mars? If it's proof of the existence that life used to exist on Mars it'd better be more conclusive to the 'bacteria fossil' supposedly found in a piece of Martian rock in 1996.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteWhat Have NASA Found On Mars?

That's where Jesus is living isn't it? I fucking knew it.

king mob

Always with the water.  Everytime they go there they find evidence to believe there was once water there.  I'm not buzzing until they dig up a bottle of Evian.

Vermschneid Mehearties

The highest mountain on Mars (Mount Olympus) is seven times higher than Mount Everest. Now that'd give Arnie something to think about.

Uncle_Z

No its not.  Mars is up in the sky so it just looks bigger.

king mob

twatloops

My will to live?  If it is, can I have it back please?  Jesus, I'm bored...

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteJesus, I'm bored...

He can't hear you, cunt. He's on Mars. Tune in to RealityFM. I mean Helloooooo?!?

king mob

Quote from: "twatloops"My will to live?  If it is, can I have it back please?  Jesus, I'm bored...

I know how you feel, i have nothing to work on & i cant be arsed reading about intellectual propety.

jutl

QuoteNASA plans to announce Tuesday "significant findings" involving the six-wheeled rover that has been searching the dusty martian landscape since January for any history of water.

I hope it's my essay on co-valent bonding for Dr Jones which I was supposed to write in 1983. It would retrospectively justify what I told him at the time, and mean that he owes me one detention.

Ambient Sheep

Some UFO rag published some NASA photos the other day that had been extracted via court order that seemed to show clear vegetation on Mars.  

There's also been a lot of speculation, there and elsewhere, that the odd colouration of the NASA photos is not simply due to there being blue, green & infra-red (rather than blue, green & red as on Viking) sensors, but due to NASA covering up vegetation.  In particular there is one very interesting pair of photos.  The lander has a colour-test chart on top of it, you see, and in photo 1 you can see a bare landscape with a correct colour-chart, but in photo 2 (taken of a different bit of landscape), you can see some blotches that would be veggy-looking if they were green, but in fact they just look like a different shade of reddy-violet; however the green part of the colour-test chart *also* looks reddy-violet...so it's been nobbled.

So the loonies say, anyway.  Who knows?

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quotesearching the dusty martian landscape since January for any history of water

And suddenely I picture Kilroy's bonce in my head. I wonder why?

Speciality meat product

So they may have found a lettuce patch up there?

jutl

No, when they say 'vegetation' I think they mean that there's a lot of stuff up there that's not doing much.

king mob

Quote from: "jutl"No, when they say 'vegetation' I think they mean that there's a lot of stuff up there that's not doing much.

Bit like my afternoon then?

jutl

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "jutl"No, when they say 'vegetation' I think they mean that there's a lot of stuff up there that's not doing much.

Depends how much unbreathable gas you're generating.

king mob

Quote from: "jutl"
Quote from: "king mob"

Depends how much unbreathable gas you're generating.

Well one of my drones is sitting in a cloud of fumes & looks like Pigpen from Peanuts so its certainly a hostile environment.

Bilko

NASA believe they have found evidence of a lower life form. They have made a discovery of primitive attempts at long distance travel. They base this on a pile of twisted contorted metal with the word 'Beagle' on it. It shows a primitive futile attempt by a lower life form to compete with higher human intelligence such as the people at NASA.

Hal

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"...seemed to show clear vegetation on Mars.  

I'd not heard of that, but then, I stopped bothering with UFO mags because they're so easily dismissed. I'd rather not know what I ought to be mildly bothered by. There's that bit of my brain that wants to believe tickling away.

I did just find this doing a google search. It looks interesting, with Arthur C. Clarke going on about giant 'Banyan-type trees'.

-

hands cold, liver warm

I not sure whether the presence of water, past or present, really tells us anything about life on mars. The assumption is that water is essential for life to originate and maintain itself and there is no evidence to support it. Darwin's idea about life forming in a little rock pool has coloured all scientific efforts to find and explain life but life could have easily began in rocks deep under the ground (which there is some recent evidence for).

anyway, even if the yanks do find life on mars I bet you a tenner that its life that travelled from earth to mars on a meteorite or something.

twatloops

Quote from: "king mob"These guys are excited

Bad Astonomy?  Is that like Bad AIDS?

gazzyk1ns

Haha that board is hilarious in places - what is one guy's emoticon of choice for realising that it's possible that these could be the last few hours on Earth of believing we're alone in the universe?

This:

TraceyQ

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Hal"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"...seemed to show clear vegetation on Mars.
I did just find this doing a google search. It looks interesting, with Arthur C. Clarke going on about giant 'Banyan-type trees'.
Yup, they're similar to the ones in the photo I saw (except that the ones in "my" photo looked almost like conifer trees!).

For anybody not otherwise arsed, here's the "banyan tree" photo from the second page of that article:

Even if turns out not to be vegetation, it's pretty strange stuff.

Huzzie

Bad Astronomy are the ones who are put heere to debunk the loons.

They can't surely be holding a conferance because they have found life, as there are no biologists and so on, on the panel.

I am just hoping they will tell of finding liqued water present NOW!

I reckons they have already found proof of life there anyway

www.enterprisemission.com

Say what you like about Hoagland but that Rabbit/crab/skull/fossil is not easily dismissed...

king mob

Heres a close up of the object'