Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DIY Big Posters and Things Of That Nature

Started by terminallyrelaxed, September 27, 2005, 11:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Hey gang.

I thought I'd start a general thread about this, this forum's glacial right now anyway. Every now and then someone asks the age-old question "didnt Frinky post about how to get rasterized images printed?" huge "where can I get things printed huge?" and "whats a rasterized image?" and I though it'd be nice if we had somewhere to discuss these things, and also to make some posters if you feel inclined. Maybe Frinky can post again about it in here, once and for all.

Living in rented accomodation you can't fling the blu-tack around willy-nilly, and so I have lived the last few years without any decoration to speak of on my walls, but I have determined that I am going to make myself more at home in my next flat, so want to design some posters.

The last poster I made was at school, sort of stylized Jimmy Page on stage cartoon thing, although it had more than a touch of the cover of Rod Stewart's Atlantic Crossing:

Although it was mostly white with a bit of black and red and blue. It was a bit crap, actually.

Anyway, I'm shortly moving, and I have access to one of these babies:

...and I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to put through it. I don't want to hammer it too much so will probably be aiming to keep mine as black and white as possible. I don't want to just nick someone else's photo and put it on my wall, but would like to muck around with it a bit first. One thing I'm particularly interested in is live performance posters, I love all that Live On Stage stuff. One of my favourite posters is one I used to have which was the cover of William Gibson's Virtual Light, which is a very stylized pop-art type image:

..my brother still has his, but mine fell apart. Anyway, if you could make a poster and get it printed in humungo-format, what would it be? Have you made any already? Can you offer any advice on huge retail printing establishments? Did you design the '68 Mott The Hoople tour flyer?

Come on, lets have your two cents worth!

terminallyrelaxed

All my threads in this forum sink like a stone.

Wyn

OK, although my 2p is probably worth about 1p, I was (l)inked to an Epson site a while ago (probably from here), which offered a free print-out on their massive new spanky printers.

Seeking to take advantage of the fools, I send them a photo and told them to print it out on the highest quality paper they had in the biggest size they could do.

In honesty, the actual choice of photo was incidental to the sheer satisfaction of screwing Epson out of a substantial amount of money, but here is the one i chose...

I took it from a bus in Moscow, and the awesome quality print now occupies pride of place on me wall, and will be coming with me to Uni on Saturday.

terminallyrelaxed

Ooh that sounds interesting, I wonder if they still do it. Did they pay to post it , too? I quite like that pic, I think printing full-on black and lots of details could use a bit too much toner and get noticed on my Epson, so thats the level I'm looking at.

Currently designing something with Beth Gibbons in it.

mothman

So tempted to try printing an Earth Observatory image via our A0 plotter. . .

Wyn

Heh, looked for it again, but I guess they're not doing it anymore. Too bad, as well, it was an admittedly bloody good print. As far as I can remember, the only thing I had to pay for was the CD I burned the picture on to... maybe the postage to them, too...

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "mothman"So tempted to try printing an Earth Observatory image via our A0 plotter. . .

Aha! I knew there was an idea on the tip of someone's tongue! Or some of the hubble stuff, or just search google for 'NGC'....

mothman

Truly I am the brains of the outfit.

Lots of green in those satellite photos though, best have a butchers at the Yellow and Cyan toner levels in advance. And, now I think of it, been a while since I last checked the Image of the Day page, must get up-to-date. New Orleans before-and-after shots aplenty, I expect.

terminallyrelaxed

Yeah, theres a really nice one of London, but they've gone mental with the emerald, I suppose to show how much of it is actually green, but it would need toning down. I know a lot of their images are to show things like temperature and other factors, but I wish there were more as-is, there are plenty of apparently untouched desert pics, but most involving greenery (like new zealand) look way too garish to be real.

mothman

Ooh! Peruvian Nazca Lines! I quite liked that new Zealand one. Big fucker though. . . as is this Peruvian one. Taking forever - work internet's the proverbial canine today.

mothman

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17006

Very green, but a good 'un. I saw lots of these when I flew over the Midwest en route to LA (man). Other thing I wish I could identify were these huge what-looked-like channels in the ice up in Canada that we could see from the plane. They were vast, couldn't posibly be man-made being that wide, but they were all dead straight. Very odd. Then there was the bright orange light from over the horizon, away up North, that we saw from a plane over Russia. I hate seeing things I can't ID from planes. . .

Neil

Hey great stuff, I was just asking about this in the early hours of this morning!  I'm finally getting my flat sorted out.  The last flat I was in I couldn't do up as it was like living in fucking Beiruit and I wanted out of there as soon as possible, but I've been in this one a couple of years now and am ready to get it sorted.  So yeah, first question is where can I get these done as I don't have a printer myself?  I'll stick up the designs I'm thinking about in a bit, got to run out.  Oh and I am gonna start a thread asking for ways to decorate my flat I think.  Anyway be right back.

terminallyrelaxed

Ace. Link your decorating thread to this one and we'll get a regular party going on.

Neil

OK Will do mate!  I'm having trouble finding the majority of my Syd Barrett collection, but luckly I've got hundres of Syd-related pics on the puter anyway, so Im just going through them now.  I'll stick up some of my faves in case someone else finds them useful.

slim

ladyslim has just bought an A3 printer so I'm considering bugging her to let me print some stuff once she gets a canvas roll for it that fits.

Frinky did post the link to the page that would let you do the other thing - I think they send you PDFs with parts of the image on that you then cut out and stick onto something, if I remember correctly. I can't find the link now though :/

The good thing about an A3 printer is that yuo can print right to the edge of the paper. It looks great too. I'm thinking about putting my storm shot (somewhere in the photography thread) on paper to help cover up these disgusting lilac walls.

Frinky

butnut

This is nothing to do with posters, but I've got an A3 printer but would love an A2 or bigger. The trouble with anything other than A4/3 is that the paper is impossible to get hold of. I often need B4 paper, but have to order it and get the print shop to cut it especially. I suppose I'd have to do the same with A2. Also, the paper gets hard to carry around at that size!

Neil

Frinky, can you edit that out please?  It breaks my One Big Rule.  Thanks.

Frinky

It was a joke, Neil. I'm not actually interested in buying prints of my face, dear :)

Slim:

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

Photoshop actually does it better, but I can't remember for the life of me how.

Neil

Haha I wondered!  I did try and work that out but I'm having a drinky-poo tonight and so wasn't sure.  That's good to know, this thread had got me thinking earlier abour Newman and Baddiel in Pieces...you know the way Baddiel had that big picture of him above his bed?  I was thinking 'would anyone be up their arts enough to actually do th...oh hello, Frinky's just posted to that thread...' :-)

Soz.

Frinky

Heh, I'm not saying I'm not ruling out, though. I rather fancy a life-size, full-lenth oil painting of me dressed as a Ghostbuster in the living room.

I'm currently decorating The House That Frink Built, with a bit of interior design help from the lovely, effervescent, Tracey Le Q. So by all means, do an Interior Design thread... could be well interesting.

slim

Frinky

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I thought I'd start a general thread about this, this forum's glacial right now anyway. Every now and then someone asks the age-old question "didnt Frinky post about how to get rasterized images printed?" huge "where can I get things printed huge?" and "whats a rasterized image?" and I though it'd be nice if we had somewhere to discuss these things, and also to make some posters if you feel inclined. Maybe Frinky can post again about it in here, once and for all.

The last poster I made was at school, sort of stylized Jimmy Page on stage cartoon thing

How did I miss this thread first time around? I'd love to see the JP thing, TR, I really would. As for rasterbating - I've given you the link there. I used the following MASSIVE bits of artwork to cover my shitty walls at uni. They didn't look quite so ratty in person. Warning, though - the colour ones are so ink heavy, it's not even funny.

Lifesize jimmy, though!

And heavilly printed paper doesn't preserve all that well, as I found out. I'd love to give it another shot, but this time I'll do it properly -

- Colour
- Printed on proper, unshrinking card stock
- Proper borders
- Properly mounted to a painted MDF base/frame
- Attach base to wall using 2 inch spacers
- Backlight

That's the best way I can think of to make these look really decent, a straight paper print will look manky really, really fast. And I never figured out how to bordless print those things, either. Jimmy took about 4 hours with the craft knife. I forget how long Charlotte took, but it was several hours as she was my first (I wish...) and I really fucked up the borders/attachement points thing.

Ah, fuck it - don't ever rasterbate anything, it'll destroy your soul.

slim

Right, I want one. I'm going to have to figure out a photo to use, buy some inks and get to work. You motivational bastard.

Hurray! After only two and a half years, I will put more on the wall than an A4 print of ladyslim and I snogging.

TraceyQ

Well, I'm not helping you, I've enough to do with Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen up there. I mean, the hair's getting there, but leather pants on a thing as skinny as that? Nah.

Spiteface

I did a really cool Dee Dee Ramone poster, but my printer doesn't go right to the edges of the paper, so it looks a bit like a window thing.

Totally fucked my cartrige.

slim

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Well, I'm not helping you, I've enough to do with Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen up there. I mean, the hair's getting there, but leather pants on a thing as skinny as that? Nah.
I emailed and rang his agents recently, the ignorant cunts. I'm scared Frinky will have DeLorean seats in his lounge. You'd better stop him.

Anyhoo, back to the topic. I'm thinking this:

printed out on card and stuck on wood. But bigger, obviously.

TraceyQ

Why? Are you wanting to live in a house of misery? Black clouds? Cuh, I arsk yer.

slim

Hey, I like it. Gloom and winter is my thang, baby. I can fantasise about cold and rain in the summer then.