Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz - A Morris Influence

Started by Purple Tentacle, March 02, 2004, 09:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

RIP the old thread, it was grand.

Anyway, this WONDERFUL column in this month's Viz amused me greatly:

and recently I put this online:

Robin Hood and Richard Littlejohn

So I'll ask the same question again:

Given that Viz has been a regular fixture on shelves since 1979, and every month there are consistantly two or three examples of absolute greatness (although a mass cull of 50% of the cartoons would be in order), is Viz underestimated in its influence on British Comedy?

Ambient Sheep

I have to say that the latest Viz (133? - the one with Spoilt Bastard on the cover) is pretty damn good - the "Vordermann Loans" thing on the first page inside is almost worth the cover price alone...

DuncanC

The June Whitfield one is great too.

I still can't read through that list without laughing, especially number 5...

Marcus Or Relius

There's an article in the current issue headlined Bush calls for regime change on Mars. The last bit of this line...

Quote from: "Viz""Once, our great planet, the United States, helped rid the universe of Reds under the bed. Now we got the Red over our heads," added the pig-eyed sack of shit.

...made me laugh my bollocks inside-out. Bush being described as a "pig-eyed sack of shit" is neither big nor clever, but it is funny.

The Letters page is actually funny this time, especially the Star Letter:

"I see on the news that Lord Hutton says he is "satisfied that David Kelly took his own life." He may not have liked Dr Kelly that much, but isn't this taking gloating just a little too far?"

No Tinribs or Gilbert Ratchett sadly, my favourite characters, but no Tranny Magnet either, which is shit.

Purple Tentacle

The recent suicide of Harold Shipman has thrown up some interesting questions. For a start, does Shipman kiling himself take his official tally up to 215, or does it count as an own goal?

morgs

Rediscovered Viz about 2 years ago... Love it to death.  Even if a lot of the cartoons are a bit shit compared to its heyday.