Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows XP keeps free ....... zing

Started by Pinball, March 02, 2004, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

XP home edition, loads up and then freezes so I have to switch off. Safe mode works tho. I also got a blue screen error on booting up which then restarted PC, but after scandisk got rid of that. According to M$ site the blue screen means registry error ? 'cos I removed software that didn't remove itself properly from registry. I suspect AVG as it turns up a lot in error log...

So, um, how the flying bollock fuck can I fix this? Does  M$ offer an online "check your crappy operating system" facility? I already did Windows Update ages ago, and M$ site only lets you install XP SP1 if it detects you're out of date on your PC, bastardos. The only reason I can type this now is 'cos the problem happened on my backup PC as I'm a paranoid fuck who has an identical backup PC (and thank Jehovah for that too) ;-)

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd 120GB HD, setting it up as master and using system restore cd to install XP. Then I'll access the fucked HD as a slave disk.

Your bonus question: I believe that a PCI card needs to be installed if you install a HD > 150GB. I'd ideally like to install a 250GB internal, but obviously couldn't install drivers etc. for it without windows on the HD. Or could I use the XP CD to run windows? God I'm confused...

My lesson of the day: always buy well-known PC brands and not those crappy cheap eMachines from pissyworld. That's the one that crashed and it's only 3 months old..

A Passing Turk Slipper

I know fuck all about computers so can't help you but the sheer amount of problems I have had with my current PC on XP is making me seriously think about 'going Mac' on my next computer.

Pinball

My main PC (XP home ed) has been a dream - hardly ever crashes. Once I left it on downloading solidly 100GB for 2 weeks with no problems. It's a quality issue I suspect. My b/u PC dunt have nun.

El Unicornio, mang

I have XP Pro and have the same problems occasionally. I don't know if it's a virus or a problem with my XP or the fact that I only have about 2 bytes left on my hard drive, but I'm far too lazy to bother finding out....

fanny splendid

Something similar happened to me, and being a mac user, I had no idea how to fix it. Then I remembered, after about a month, I had WIn98 installed on the same hard disk, and was able to boot up with that.

I can still boot up with XP but as soon as it starts with the pelican crossing across the bottom of the screen, it blue screens.

I'm sticking with win98, unless someone comes up with an idea.

Did you sort out your wireless problem? I want to get this pc not-wired up, if you see what i mean, and want to avoid a duff card.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Pinball"My main PC (XP home ed) has been a dream - hardly ever crashes. Once I left it on downloading solidly 100GB for 2 weeks with no problems. It's a quality issue I suspect. My b/u PC dunt have nun.
Ah, maybe it's just my bad luck then. It does tend to crash about 3 or 4 times a night though, blue screens of death and everything, we're trying to get it sorted but whenever it is fixed it works fine for a couple of days then goes all fucky again. Anyway, sorry, this isn't what the threads meant to be about. Carry on.

gazzyk1ns

Download a copy of Win2000 and burn to CD, backup your files, and install that before upgrading it to SP4.

If you prefer XP to 2K then download a CD of the Pro edition and install that, after backing up and formatting.

Some PCs purchased from bigger/more popular retailers have restore programs, so after backing up your downloads, look into that... programs like ZigZag or sometimes Norton Ghost/PowerQuest DriveImage (I think that last one is right).

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Pinball"Once I left it on downloading solidly 100GB for 2 weeks with no problems.

Fucking hell, there aren't that many MAME games in the world.

Pinball, straight up: Are you archiving the entire internet for storage in an underground bunker?

And if so, did you do Robb's Oops Celebrity before it was annihalated?

(Don't panic whores, it's being rebuilt)

Timmay

Stick the XP disc back in the drive, boot from it, and it will detect all the Windows installations on your disk(s). Select which Windows installation to repair, and let it do it's stuff.

It will basically reinstall any corrupt files, any corrupt or missing registry entries, and should fix your problem. It looks like a normal Windows installation, but all your files, programs and settings will still be there at the end.

gazzyk1ns

Is sfc.exe on the home version Timmy? Could just run that if it is, I don't know if it does the same thing you're describing?

Timmay

Never heard of that util, but if it's on Pro, it'll be on Home I expect. The only differences in em were networking and security stuff.

But no, looking up the details on that, the repair thing through the installer is far more comprehensive than that. It basically does a complete reinstall, but maintains all the programs and settings and everything on your PC. SFC just checks stuff from what I can tell.

EDIT: Another way to possibly identify this problem, might be to start it in safe mode (that works I believe), and set some of the services to disabled - y'know, ones like the antivirus, firewall, user installed ones really. Then try it again in normal mode.

twatloops

What're your RAM levels like?  I've been running XP fine until I started using more intensive programs and discovered that 256Mb didn't hack it.  Whacked it up to 512Mb and all is fine again.

Just a thought.

Pinball

Quote from: "Timmay"Stick the XP disc back in the drive, boot from it, and it will detect all the Windows installations on your disk(s). Select which Windows installation to repair, and let it do it's stuff.

It will basically reinstall any corrupt files, any corrupt or missing registry entries, and should fix your problem. It looks like a normal Windows installation, but all your files, programs and settings will still be there at the end.
Ah superb. I've got an XP Pro installation disk so could try that. Will it work on a PC loaded with XP home edition? The emachines may have a "recovery" disk, but that just deletes everything and reinstalls doesn't it?

I got the PC to work last night by selecting "last working configuration" in bootup screen. Now it works fine but still freezes when some appplications are run (especially AVG), and the wireless still doesn't work. Fanny Splendid, I returned the Belkin wireless PCI card and replaced with a US Robotics one (the modem/router is US Robotics). The US Robotics kit is clearly better made judging by the finish/"solidity", but it still doesn't work - identical problem. I can still connect to network using a cable, but it rather defeats the object! Thus looks like Windows is indeed the problem, not the card.

I might try sfc tonight after I've backed up the PC (already 80% backed up), and if it still doesn't work try the XP Pro disk fix. Actually, thinking about it, what if I put the (80GB) HD into my main PC (also XP home edition) as a slave disk, and let the master disk "sort it ahht"?

Pinball

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Quote from: "Pinball"Once I left it on downloading solidly 100GB for 2 weeks with no problems.

Fucking hell, there aren't that many MAME games in the world.

Pinball, straight up: Are you archiving the entire internet for storage in an underground bunker?

And if so, did you do Robb's Oops Celebrity before it was annihalated?

(Don't panic whores, it's being rebuilt)
heh - I guess I'm a data hoarder ;-) It's gonna take years to go thru all of it..

MAME totals 30GB or so all-in, including extras. There's a huge amount of Sega, Nintendo, Atari, Amiga, Daphne, Sinclair games too though. FTPing large volumes like that is fiddly however, and in an era of DVD burners now highly inefficient.

Reverend Minge

Surprised you're having so many problems as I find XP is rock solid.

Have you tried System Restore? Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

This utlity is dead easy to use and will allow you to restore your computer to a date when it DID work OK. Back up any recent personal documents to be safe first though.

Say you restored to a date before you installed a recent program, you will have to re-install it (but then it COULD be that new program that's shafted your machine).

Give System Restore a shot - you've got absolutely nothing to lose as, if you're not happy with the results, you can restore the machine back to the state it was before you used System Restore (if that makes sense).

mook

This system restore thing. My new PC is acting a bit fuckity. It seems to think it is a 1.3ghz P4 when it really is a 2.6ghz P4. I get a black screen appear when I first turn it on saying something along the lines of "CPU is unworkable" I then have the choice of hitting [F1] to start the computer or hitting [del] to start up in something called soft mode. Do you reckon this system restore thing will fix that?

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "mook"This system restore thing. My new PC is acting a bit fuckity. It seems to think it is a 1.3ghz P4 when it really is a 2.6ghz P4. I get a black screen appear when I first turn it on saying something along the lines of "CPU is unworkable" I then have the choice of hitting [F1] to start the computer or hitting [del] to start up in something called soft mode. Do you reckon this system restore thing will fix that?

No, System Restore will only restore XP to a previous date, your problem is nothing to do with Windows.
Sounds like you have your PC set to the wrong bus speed in the BIOS settings - it's basically being "underclocked". Check your motherboard manual about setting the right bus or clock speed. I had a similar problem when I built a system with an AMD processor. On bootup the machine thought it was a 1.3 or something when it should have been 2200. The bus speed was incorrectly set to 100MHz instead of 133MHz, once I adjusted the setting in the BIOS it was sorted.

MojoJojo

Quote from: "mook"This system restore thing. My new PC is acting a bit fuckity. It seems to think it is a 1.3ghz P4 when it really is a 2.6ghz P4. I get a black screen appear when I first turn it on saying something along the lines of "CPU is unworkable" I then have the choice of hitting [F1] to start the computer or hitting [del] to start up in something called soft mode. Do you reckon this system restore thing will fix that?

Bloody hell, it sounds like you've managed to bugger your PC till it's bow legged. I'd recommend councilling.

It sounds like you may have some bios settings a bit wrong, possibly some jumpers too. Bit hard to tell.

mook

hmm, I've had a look through the motherboard manual, but can't find anything about FSB speed in it. When I had the puter built I'm sure the bloke said it was a P4 2.6 ghz with 800mhz FSB. After a quick google it seems that I need to set the setting at 2600[400] in the soft mode page, does that sound right? also if I set the speed too high will it fuck up my shiny new pc?

Sorry all for the thread hijack.

butnut

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"I know fuck all about computers so can't help you but the sheer amount of problems I have had with my current PC on XP is making me seriously think about 'going Mac' on my next computer.

<beckons>

Joins us, join us...

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "mook"hmm, I've had a look through the motherboard manual, but can't find anything about FSB speed in it. When I had the puter built I'm sure the bloke said it was a P4 2.6 ghz with 800mhz FSB. After a quick google it seems that I need to set the setting at 2600[400] in the soft mode page, does that sound right? also if I set the speed too high will it fuck up my shiny new pc?

Without seeing the manual it's hard to be too specific but it sounds like you're on the right track. Boot up your PC and go into the BIOS settings and check what the current bus speed is (may be under Chip Management or similar). If you can find where you can adjust the bus speed - and it's incorrect - adjust it to 2600 or whatever it needs to be, but make a note of what it currently is in case you have to change it back. Save the settings and Exit. When it reboots see if that has done the trick. If not, change the setting back to what it was.

Don't set it higher than it needs to be, it could well fuck up your PC and anyway, you don't want to try any overclocking when your PC isn't tickety-boo in the first place.

MojoJojo

You almost certainly won't bugger up your PC (err... don't blame me if you do manage it though). Most modern motherboards have thermonitors all over the place, and should shut down the PC if it starts to overheat.

I think thats right, anyway.

mook

Ta for the help Reverend Minge and Mojojojo. I've had another google about and to be honest it's all a bit too techy for a simple soul like me, so I'll take it back to the menders. Apparently it's a common fault with the motherboard (an ABIT v17) the puter's only 3 month old so I guess the bloke who built it will have to put another MB in or I'll have to administer a dry slap..I love that expression..Again thanks for the help.

bill hicks

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "Timmay"Stick the XP disc back in the drive, boot from it, and it will detect all the Windows installations on your disk(s). Select which Windows installation to repair, and let it do it's stuff.

Ah superb. I've got an XP Pro installation disk so could try that. Will it work on a PC loaded with XP home edition? The emachines may have a "recovery" disk, but that just deletes everything and reinstalls doesn't it?

I got the PC to work last night by selecting "last working configuration" in bootup screen. Now it works fine but still freezes when some appplications are run (especially AVG), and the wireless still doesn't work. Fanny Splendid, I returned the Belkin wireless PCI card and replaced with a US Robotics one (the modem/router is US Robotics). The US Robotics kit is clearly better made judging by the finish/"solidity", but it still doesn't work - identical problem. I can still connect to network using a cable, but it rather defeats the object! Thus looks like Windows is indeed the problem, not the card.

I might try sfc tonight after I've backed up the PC (already 80% backed up), and if it still doesn't work try the XP Pro disk fix. Actually, thinking about it, what if I put the (80GB) HD into my main PC (also XP home edition) as a slave disk, and let the master disk "sort it ahht"?

I had the same trouble a while back with Windows ME. Suddenly took a massive dislike to Netscape for no reason whatsoever and started blue screening every ten minutes.

Sadly my computer died before I could get it sorted so I can't give any advice as to what it could be.

Still I've XP home running on this new one (£180! Jesus wept!) and so far have had absolutely no problems at all. I've even managed to fill 40GB of the drive in a few weeks and had no performance problems at all. Marvellous piece of software.

Oh and unlike last time I've made sure to keep my Windows disc handy this time too.

Reverend Minge

Quote from: "mook"Ta for the help Reverend Minge and Mojojojo. I've had another google about and to be honest it's all a bit too techy for a simple soul like me, so I'll take it back to the menders. Apparently it's a common fault with the motherboard (an ABIT v17) the puter's only 3 month old so I guess the bloke who built it will have to put another MB in or I'll have to administer a dry slap..I love that expression..Again thanks for the help.

Glad to have been of help - but if it's only three months old take the bloody thing back.

BTW what exactly IS a dry slap - it's been bugging me since I heard Mike Reid say it on Eastenders.

mook

I'm not actually certain mate,  but I've always thought it meant giving someone a stern talking to as opposed to a right hook which might cause the flow of claret and is therefore "wet". I could be wrong though, I often am.

If that was a rhetorical question feel free to ignore this post.