Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DNA Regeneration

Started by Jemble Fred, March 03, 2004, 09:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Chortle says:

QuoteAlways tell your Mummy...

Sorry, they actually say:

QuoteThe BBC is to release a collection of rare recordings of Douglas Adams to mark the 25th anniversary of Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Simon Jones, who played Arthur Dent in the original radio series, will narrate the three-CD set, which is not due out until September.

One of the discs will be the entire Radio 4 tribute So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, which was first broadcast in 2001.

The other two will contain an eclectic collection of extracts, manys of which will be considered obscured even by die-hard fans.

According to the fan site Magrathea, the website run by Adams' biographer Mike Simpson, the rare recordings include:

*   Three sketches Adams wrote for the radio series The Burkiss Way
*   Extracts from his conservation show Last Chance to See;
*   A 'lost' mini-episode of Hitchhikers Guide called Sheila's Ear,
*   A sketch from his days with the Cambridge Footlight
*   Adams singing on the John Dunn show;
*   And his appearance on Quote...Unquote;

The set, to be priced £15.99, will be released on September 6, but Amazon are already taking preorders at £11.19. Click here to reserve a copy.

Good stuff. I've just finished liatening to his reading of H2G2. Pure treat.

Darrell

Out of the Trees? If Jones/Wing-Davey do infact have a copy, this would be the perfect opportunity to check. Failing that, the soundtrack of the full 'peony' sketch or anything else still extant on film needs to go on.

'Sheila's Ear' isn't a 'lost episode' of Hitchhiker's, by the way. It's MJ Simpson deluding himself - the thing is question is just a short Arthur Dent interview sketch from a Sheila Steafel show, written by Adams. Hardly Hitchhikers.

I don't like MJ Simpson. He's far too eager to point out how 'good' he is, even down to reporting about and relishing in detail whenever somebody else writes a book about Adams and gets a bad review. There's a 'go away peasant, only I have the knowledge to talk about Adams' attitude about him which stinks. Granted, he's not exactly a Yoakum, but I could certainly live without that attitude...

Anyone who publicises themselves as a definitive authority on something deserves a beady eye in their direction, really.

benthalo

MJ Simpson 'masterminded' this release about three years ago, according to his own website where a longer report is featured.

I sent him some details of a couple of Radio 1 features involving DNA a few months ago (one of which was directly H2G2 related), but I suspect even those came too late for inclusion.

alan strang

Quote from: "Darrell"Granted, he's not exactly a Yoakum, but I could certainly live without that attitude...

He creepily sided with Yoakum over the Out Of The Trees copyright issue - but only because he was hoping to write a book on Chapman and would need to lick his bum at a later date. Simpson conveniently left that bit out of his version of events in the Adams biography.

He and Yoakum were at each other's throats on Google a while back. It was hilarious. I think they're as bad as each other - both driven by ego.

And he was crap on The Weakest Link too.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There was a great moment on the Mausoleum Club where he started a thread saying 'I just heard some GREAT NEWS today - can't say anything now, but watch my website for further details!' or something similar.

...to which someone replied 'Is this just about the new Hitch Hiker's radio series being commissioned?', thus bringing his prick-teasing to a well-deserved end.

He can't talk about anything unless it has a vague link to Adams. And his shameless self-publicity is genuinely creepy.

JesusAndYourBush

Has anyone got any news at all about what the hell has happened to the 3rd radio series.  We should be halfway through it now if it'd aired when it was promised, but instead we got nothing.  Meanwhile all we get from the BBC is an embarrassed silence.  It's assumed that Disney *spit* has an exclusivity contract and is preventing the beeb from broadcasting it, but does anyone know for sure?  Anyone have links inside the bbc and could possibly get any info?

Darrell

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"Has anyone got any news at all about what the hell has happened to the 3rd radio series.  We should be halfway through it now if it'd aired when it was promised, but instead we got nothing.  Meanwhile all we get from the BBC is an embarrassed silence.  It's assumed that Disney *spit* has an exclusivity contract and is preventing the beeb from broadcasting it, but does anyone know for sure?  Anyone have links inside the bbc and could possibly get any info?

Here's a link inside the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/cult/news/cult/2004/03/03/9747.shtml

Yeah, I know, I'll shut up now.

JesusAndYourBush

Ah so it is Disney then.  Cunts.

Geej

GOD DAMMIT!"!!!

Is there any way that we can get Disney to piss off and go and film their little movie and let us have our radio play in the meantime?

Is there places to write to in the manner of Disgusted from Guildford?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Geej"GOD DAMMIT!"!!!

Is there any way that we can get Disney to piss off and go and film their little movie and let us have our radio play in the meantime?

Buy them.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Buy them.
We would if we could, but they havent been released.  (We're talking about radio series 3, 4 and 5 by the way, not the cd set that started this thread.  Just thought I'd make that clear.)

Darrell

I think Jemble meant buy Disney.