Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC to Launch Clip Archive in Autumn

Started by Bilko, March 03, 2004, 10:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilko

Greg Dyke initiated this last year, saying he wanted to put up the whole archive of the BBC online so the public could download them for free. The BBC has announced they intended putting up the archive in Autumn. They have giving details of what type of programmes will be available and you can download them and keep them forever.

Good so far.

Then you come to the limitations, you can't download whole programmes, the BBC is only putting up clips of up to 3 minutes long. If the BBC are going to do this they should do it professionally and go the whole way and put whole programmes up. A 3-minute clip of a hour long programme is pointless. This will not fulfil a need but making you wanting more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3525455.stm

TOCMFIC

Man, when I first heard about this I was thrilled. But then they said it would be UK only... Yeah, my license fee paid for 10 years or so of that shit, fuckers.

If it's just 3 minute segments though... That sounds like a total waste of resources.

Timmay

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"This will not fulfil a need but making you wanting more.
And perhaps you've raised one of the main reasons why they're only allowing 3-minute clips - teasers if you will.

If they can raise the interest in BBC programming through this medium, particularly older BBC programming, then perhaps this would raise the interest in their niche digital channels. They may then increase the amount of older programming on things like BBC3 and BBC4, to cater for the newfound curiosity in older stuff.

Vermschneid Mehearties

What?!

What's the fucking point of 3 minutes?

Another total let-down then. Wankers.

Bilko

Quote from: "Timmay"
Quote from: "Peter Hammill"This will not fulfil a need but making you wanting more.
And perhaps you've raised one of the main reasons why they're only allowing 3-minute clips - teasers if you will.

Tease us as in, making a 3 minute clip available to download then make a DVD release of the full programme.

mook

It's sound business sense though isn't it. I just wish they'd be honest and call these "clips" what they really are. Fucking ADVERTS.

Pinball

Wow, how generous. The BBC are launching an advertising site using programme content we already paid for, in the hope that we'll pay for it again by buying a DVD or 300. Marvellous.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Do they have the sort of servers that could cope with the archive of every single program in the BBC's history?

Or do I simply not understand how data is stored?

bill hicks

As I remember it from a Sight and Sound article on the possibilities of this new form of distribution Greg Dyke was very interested in p2p sharing. He wanted to adapt a model similar to Audiogalaxy (ah, the memories) while still keeping a full archive stored in the central servers.

I wonder if Dyke leaving has anything to do with the neutering of this idea?

Neil

Surely tons of this stuff won't be available on DVD anyway, so the "it's all advertising for DVD sales!" arguement doesn't really work.  I'm frequently amazed at what can't get a DVD release in this country (e.g. The Armando Iannucci Shows.)

JesusAndYourBush

I bet they'll be really low quality .rm files.

Dr David V

Brilliant! I can't wait to see Del Boy fall through the bar again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

Bilko

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"I bet they'll be really low quality .rm files.
Agreed

Quote from: "Dr David V"Brilliant! I can't wait to see Del Boy fall through the bar again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...
and Agreed.

You forget that David Attenborough bit where he is laying next to a Gorilla, Dads Army where Mainwaring tells Pike not to tell the Germans his name, and
Emu attacking Michael Parkinson.

Still Not George

A pox on their names, one and all.

Dr David V

And of course, Ricky Gervais dancing. But I'll bet you anything they won't inlcude any clips of Johnny FUCKOFF Davidson in either of his shows.

Bilko

Quote from: "Dr David V"And of course, Ricky Gervais dancing. But I'll bet you anything they won't inlcude any clips of Johnny FUCKOFF Davidson in either of his shows.

I'm expecting Jim FUCKOFF Davidson though.

Hans

Apparently (and I got this from the son of the acting director Mark Byford) it's going to begin with clips of documentaries and if successful will branch out to almost everything else.  I've been told (by Sam Byford) that there's no reason why entire radio shows couldn't be put online so here's hoping 2-5 of On The Hour becomes available and other as yet unrepeated radio shows as well.

The Plaque Goblin

Downloading? Aw, how quaint.

Whatever happened to broadband based, streamed video on demand?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/