Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buying a camera

Started by Uncle Gripper, October 08, 2005, 03:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

Re: 350D - Selecting the little focal red lights of your choice is a twat to get the hang of, no? Seems to me you need seven fingers for that mularkey.

Timmay

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Seems to me you need seven fingers for that mularkey.
Or one index finger to scroll the little wheel?

I never use it really - I pretty much have it permanently set to the single middle one. I think default is the auto-select AI mode, of all 7 of them isn't it? I don't like that, cause I have no control over what it's doing then.

mook

How does that differ from the 20d then. On mine you just press the button to the right of the * button (it doesn't appear to have a name, it's the one that doubles up as magnifier when you look at your pictures on the LCD) and then use the little joystick thingy, if you press it straight down it selects all of them, or if you move it about a bit you get choose any of them individually.

terminallyrelaxed

You talking about the auto-focus points? What red lights?

This week, I have mostly been using manual focus.

Timmay

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"You talking about the auto-focus points? What red lights?
Yes, the red AF points in the viewfinder.

Almost Yearly

Yeah. Don't you have to have the shutter half-depressed at the same time as doing the wheely thing or the joypad thing? I find it easier to move the frame around until autofocus finds the length I require and then re-frame and shoot. Oh I dunno, perhaps the person on the beach deserved the camera more than me.

slim

That made me realise I never use the autofocus on my camera. To do so is my new ambition.

Lee

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50588590

Only £60, and seems to have everything I want. Worth a look in?

wheatgod

I'm going for this badboy. Any objections?

Timmay

Quote from: "slim"That made me realise I never use the autofocus on my camera. To do so is my new ambition.
Pah! Fucking ponces with their perfect 20:20 vision. I'm short-sighted, so the times I've tried using manual focus, meant that they look good to me through the viewfinder, but aren't actually in focus on the screen/computer.

sproggy

'kinell

I only ordered my Nikon Sunday evening and it's already here, that's bloody impressive.

Impulse buyers beware!

I'll link their site again http://www.buyacamera.co.uk

mook

Bugger, that was quick. Anyway, nevermind all that, get that battery charged up and post some pictures.

slim

Quote from: "Timmay"Pah! Fucking ponces with their perfect 20:20 vision. I'm short-sighted, so the times I've tried using manual focus, meant that they look good to me through the viewfinder, but aren't actually in focus on the screen/computer.
Not at all, I'm long sighted, which I suspect is just as bad.

What I do now, thanks to the lovely quick shot thing, is that I pick a focus I think looks ok, then I take the shot five times - once at the selected focus, again with the focus ring spun a little to the left, a little further, then across and the same to the right.

It's a little tedious (especially comparing 5 almost identical photos at high resolutions), but I find this way I almost always get the focus I want and chuck the other 4.