Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask (Part II - The New Batch)

Started by The Region Legion, October 09, 2005, 04:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Last night I was lying in bed letting my mind drift from thought to thought when a question popped into my head which I didnt have an answer for. From that question, an idea for a thread occured. That question has since been answered in this thread. But the idea stands.

Is there any question that you don't have an answer for that you would like answered? I'm thinking in general knowledge terms eg. why is the sky blue? what's the point of thursday? only better.

Of course, a quick google would probably uncover the answers to any of the questions we have, but putting it in thread form means we can all share the bounty of knowledge that shall no doubt spew forth.

Now get spewing.

mook

Saves time.

Did Papermate pens actually have a little pump in them or was the tele lying to me when I was little?

didgeripoo

Quote from: "DevlinC"
eg. why is the sky blue? what's the point of thursday?

Argh! Cos my site is called The Sky Is Blue, the main referrer I get is from search engine queries asking 'Why is the sky blue?' which results in a visit to my site that lasts one second! Argh!

I wish everyone just knew. Not that I do.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "sproglette"Why do dogs hate cats?
Quote from: "http://www.fcasd.edu/schools/dms/folktales/dogs.htm"the kings were granting the dogs their royal charter. With this charter, the dogs could go anywhere with their owners and do whatever they wanted. The dogs were proud, but the cats were very jealous.  The cats decided to steal the charter and hide it very well.

After that a mouse came searching for food and found the charter.  The mouse went back and told all the mice he found the royal charter. The mice decided to eat it.

Then the dogs found out that the charter was missing. They went to the cats, and the cats tried to deny stealing the charter but finally told them where it was. When the dogs and the cats went searching for it they could not find it. Then the mice told them they had eaten it and  that's why dogs now hate cats.
Sounds a bit spurious to me.

I suppose the real reason is that cats, being smaller than dogs, tend to be intimidated and run away. Dogs, whose only purpose in life seems to be chasing things, naturally take the bait and pursue. I suppose that, in some cases, there's a territorial factor as well,

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"Why do people start threads when there's alread a perfectly good thread for this sort of thing?
Because the other one is going to be locked soon for being too long.  Hence "Part II" on this one.  See also here.

Yeah Jesus. Sorry we didn't invite you to the meeting but everyone hates you.

Labian Quest

Why do some people think you should never trust a man that doesn't drink?

mook

Quote from: "Labian Quest"Why do some people think you should never trust a man that doesn't drink?

<predictable>Cos he's probably a muslim. </predictable>

I always thought it was never trust a man who owns a cat.

Gypsum Fantastic

How do you say segue? It isn't 'seg-way,' is it? That sounds terrible.

Cerys

And yes, it does sound awful.  I still pronounce it 'seeg', even though I know it's wrong, as a kind of protest; but I'm happier with the 'segway' pronunciation since I found out that it's Spanish in origin.  Guadalajara being one of my favourite-sounding place names, I could hardly quibble too much.

Quote from: "mook"
Quote from: "Labian Quest"Why do some people think you should never trust a man that doesn't drink?

I always thought it was never trust a man who owns a cat.

One of my quirks - never trust a thin chef.

Mr. Analytical

Cerys

Never trust someone who tells you never to trust someone.   Or something.

Edit to amend niggly punctuation.

petula dusty

I agree with you Cerys but I would still say never trust a man who keeps his loose change in a purse.

Cerys

Quote from: "petula dusty"I agree with you Cerys but I would still say never trust a man who keeps his loose change in a purse.

Purses suck anyway.  Only three kinds of people should use purses: little girls, flustered mums, and elderly ladies.  This is the classic purse-triumvirate of maiden, mother and crone.  Any other purse users are clearly dissemblers who have brought dishonour to the way of the One True Wallet.

petula dusty

I have a purse but luckily I am protected from your wrath as I come under the 'flustered mum' category.

But my purse always seems to be overflowing with pesky 1 and 2p coins which I either have to put in a jar or use in an emergency up the shop when I'm skint and need choc. But you just know the shopkeeper is thinking 'God, she must be desperate for choc if she's had to raid the jar. Fat mare.'

My question is why can't we do away with 1 and 2p coins altogether? Why can't everything be in multiples of 5 or 10? I'm guessing noone is fooled by adverts which say 'get this piece of useless shite for under £300!'  when it's £299.99 so why not just sell it for £300?

I'm forever finding copper coins all over the house and have been known to suck a few up the hoover cos I can't be arsed to pick them up. This is madness I know as I wouldn't suck a pound coin up or even 5p but coppers just get in the way, fill up your purse/wallet/pocket and even when you have a big jar full it's probably only going to be about a fiver.  

Is there a reason why we need them?

El Unicornio, mang

They should definitely do away with 2p coins, they don't really serve any purpose other than to spend in those amusement machines where you can win a big pile of 2p coins if you send one down the slot at the right time.

Beagle 2

They make stuff 99p and the like so that shop assistants have to go into the till instead of just pocketing the quid don't they, or is that another old wives tale?

Labian Quest

Quote from: "Beagle 2"They make stuff 99p and the like so that shop assistants have to go into the till instead of just pocketing the quid don't they, or is that another old wives tale?

I'd heard that too, that it was because the shop owners didn't trust thier assistants. Music Zone sells stuff for £6.97 now too. It does sort of work for the other reason too; £7.00 does sound more than three pence more expensive than £6.97. I think. Anyway, you can save your shrapnel up and take it in to machines in places like Asda that will convert it into higher demonination coins, but you get charged about 7p in the pound, unless you want to donate the fee they charge to charidy.

Tom Rad

What is the point in selling honey still in the honeycomb, like this? I got given some, and the honey does taste nice but it's so inconvenient to eat. You have to chew the honeycomb and then spit out the wax, unless you want to eat that too. You can't melt the honey in hot water (which is what I like to do) because the wax will solidify again when the water cools down and your mug and spoon end up covered in wax.

mook

Just been watching the latest episode of Curb. Larry pops around to Jeff's house, Jeff is in the kitchen, standing by the sink.

Look.

What's all that tap bollocks about?

How can anyone need that many tapthings?

I can work out what some of them are.

2 spouts, 2 on/off things, 1 plate sprayer and 1 garbage disposal switch, but what the hell do the other three do?

I know we've got a few Americans knocking about here, so my question to them is. "Why do you make such complicated sinks?"

Lady Beaner

Further to Mook's query... what is the point of bidets?
Does anyone here have one?

Frinky

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"what is the point of bidets?

To clean your arse, you dirty bitch.

Almost Yearly

You might think a half-arsed wipe is good enough, stinky minge. You're entitled to your low standard of intimate hygiene, but don't fawcett on the rest of us.