Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Give Nathan Barley a more appropriate rating on lovefilm.com

Started by The Plaque Goblin, October 14, 2005, 10:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadman97

Quote from: "lazyhour"But... but.... it was relatively bad.
Relatively, yes. It was no Day Today. But it certainly wasn't Spoons or Balls of Steel either, and we won't be seeing fallout like this from either of those shows eight months down the line.
Quote from: "lazyhour"The people giving it good scores on that site will, let's face it, most likely be unquestioning, unthinking GodLikeGenius Morris Drones
Okay, but by your rationale people being sent over there from here will be venom-spitting, elitist, MorrisWasFunnyForTenMinutesIn1992 CaB drones. Somewhere between the two lies a rational point of view, and encouraging a readership to
Quote from: "TJ"Get it down to zero folks
is only going to make us look bad (or worse).

Godzilla Bankrolls

Is Deadman publishing a book of Internet Bollocks? There are no 'elitist' Morris 'drones', not on CaB at least. And to say Barley was OK when you compare it to BoS and Spoons? Good grief. Which is worse, bird flu, or a doctor your family's relied on and trusted for years injecting you with bird flu?

Darrell

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"a doctor your family's relied on and trusted for years injecting you with bird flu?

What, a vaccine?

I'm confused.

Pepotamo1985

The latest, and possibly most controversial, offering from the undisputed high priest of British humour

Funnier than the series, that is.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"a doctor your family's relied on and trusted for years injecting you with bird flu?

What, a vaccine?

I'm confused.

Get outta here!

Deadman97

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"There are are no 'elitist' Morris 'drones', not on CaB at least.
I was referencing lazyhour's assumption that anyone voting for Barley over there would be a "drone" themselves, which I quoted before I said it.
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"...compare it to BoS and Spoons
Which I never did. I made the point that it attracted a similar level of criticism on here. Note my putting the word "relatively" in bold.
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Which is worse, bird flu, or a doctor your family's relied on and trusted for years injecting you with bird flu?
Good point, well made.
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Is Deadman publishing a book of Internet Bollocks?
Not at the moment. Stop taking me out of context. Do you reckon crashing polls and carrying on the pissing contest is going to do anyone any favours?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Channel 4/Zeppotron have proved themselves to be absolute viral cunts over Barley, as well as a few other things. Why not play them at their own game?

And we shouldn't forgive the utter shite that is Barley. In some ways, it's worse than BoS and Spoons - it was a Chris Morris project; therefore, it should have kicked comedy arse.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

For the record, I thought Nathan Barley was as bad as Spoons/Balls of Steel. Bad in a different way, but probably equally bad.

In fact, you could argue it was worse, because Morris' involvement should have resulted in higher quality control.

Strang and I were discussing this over a bottle of Chateau Ponce 1994 the other night - the fact that everyone says 'Hooray, Graham Linehan slagged off Bo'Selecta, comedy criticism is alive and well', despite the fact that it's only half the story - Linehan would be very unlikely to slag off Spoons, Extras or Nathan Barley. There's this idea that there are certains shows it's OK to diss, but step beyond that and people get a bit nervous. You can criticise things which are blatantly shit (eg, Blessed), but it's unsporting if you slag off shows which are merely mediocre, especially if they have cool people in them.

DuncanC

Playing someone at their own game is fine, as long as you don't expect to be taken very seriously later on if you still want to complain about them doing it.

Clinton Morgan

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Nobody would object if somebody urged people to raise a show's rating would they?

Ah, forget it, Mike - some people will never work that one out. It's written in Hebrew on the head of a fucking pin.

You mean Emergency isn't his real name?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "DuncanC"Playing someone at their own game is fine, as long as you don't expect to be taken very seriously later on if you still want to complain about them doing it.

We've got nothing to sell, though. Except THE TRUTH, man.

TJ

Quote from: "Clinton Morgan"You mean Emergency isn't his real name?

No. It's Yogophant.

Clinton Morgan

Of course, Mike is the shortened form of Yogophant (give or take a few letters).

phantom_power

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Linehan would be very unlikely to slag off Spoons, Extras or Nathan Barley.

ding ding ding ding*

*inventing things to back up an argument alarm

TJ

Quote from: "phantom_power"

ding ding ding ding*

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

alan strang

Quote from: "phantom_power"*inventing things to back up an argument alarm

Quick - stick it up your arse before it embarasses you further!

TJ

Quote from: "Ro·lo·dex Prop·a·gan·da" "Nicholas Burns"

heh.
Looks like Nicholas Bums on my computer

I've been reading the reviews on Amazon some have a distinct whiff of viral marketing. Check out this puff piece below (note the date):

QuoteChris Morris at his best..., August 15, 2005

Reviewer: ahttt from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Chris Morris returns with "Nathan Barley", a sitcom (of sorts) based on Charlie Booker's controversial satirical website, TV Go Home. Though not actually appearing himself, the show screams of its creator through the soundtrack (dark, brooding ambient electro from the likes of Broadcast), the dialogue, the set-pieces and the personalities of the three main characters. Dan Ashcroft is essentially a representation of Mr. Morris, the controversial figure elevated to Godlike status by "idiots" who completely fail to grasp the point he's trying to make.

The show deals with the pretentious media culture of London. Though not everyone will be able to relate to this theme, there's enough language abuse and hilarious set pieces to keep everyone entertained, be it the accidental murder of a cat (Kevin Eldon's barber's brilliant!), a haircut so ludicrous it sparks a fashion movement in Japan ("The Geek Pie") and a fantastic parody of "Selfish C*nt" ("Terrorists are gay"). And that's just the one episode...

One can't help but sympathise with the plights of the characters also, giving the show a sense of heart and emotion that was missing in past Chris Morris offerings. The show somehow manages to be more accessible than Jam, more down-to-earth than Brasseye and The Day Today whilst retaining all the relevant social satire and hilarity. Well reccommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/dvd/B000A7PTG8/customer-reviews/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/202-0627518-1077432

Little Hoover

Someone made a similar joke in another thread, but still someone should write a review saying the bit where dan reacts is hilarious.

Catalogue Trousers

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Paul's Boutique"I've been reading the reviews on Amazon some have a distinct whiff of viral marketing.

I know, those virals get everywhere. Look at these from Amazon:

Quotevery funny t.v. series. If ever you're feeling out of it because life has gotten you down, just watch "curb your enthusiam" and you'll be feeling great again. this series of dvd's is full of non-stop laughs. I highly recommend purchasing this item.

and

Quoteno one is better then larry david to make you laugh and laugh and laugh.......i love curb.........so worth the money to buy and just watch when you want to LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!......HE IS A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job there was a real person there to put me straight:

QuoteThis intolerably cutesy flaccid mess from HBO is among the worst offal I've ever seen. It truly stinks to the eye and ear. I'm lucky to have checked it out at the local public library rather than wasted money renting or buying it. Perhaps you should too, rather than relying on the other reviews here.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: "AMAZON.COM"G_E_N_I_U_S
I loved this show, but like the other 2 reviewers, I haven't seen the DVD yet, because it hasn't been released.

Weehee.

alan strang

Quote from: "LordSnooty"Anyone got Linehan handy to check? No? Good.

I just tried to get hold of him - but unfortunately he's smoking an enormous joint with the people behind Spoons, Extras and Nathan Barley.

Might be some time, sorry.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "alan strang"the people behind Spoons, Extras and Nathan Barley.

Satan and Hitler?

23 Daves

I'll be honest, I really liked Nathan Barley (as we've established) but I've long since realised that the vast majority of the TV viewing public hated it, Morris fans or otherwise.  As such, I've slammed it in with numerous other things that I've had minority opinions about over the years – "Border Café", "Attention Scum!", XTC's "The Big Express", Internet blogs, etc.  I'm sure I could mount a reasonably articulate and fair-minded defence of all of these things, and I'm quite sure the majority of people will generally disagree with me in an equally intelligent and fair way, from their perspective.  I would never kid myself that my opinions were the most common, however, or that opinions of the subjects in question had been rigged in advance by an unfair media, Internet forum, or God knows what else.  Sometimes perfectly good media falls by the wayside as a result of lack of publicity, but "Nathan Barley" can hardly claim that defence - it had largely positive reviews, a lot of advance promotion, and the only people who really seemed to publically decry it were Internet folk (and not just CaB regulars, I might add).  I honestly doubt the witterings of a bunch of netheads holds much sway with the public - most people don't even frequent forums on a regular basis.

I have a few friends who enjoyed NB, however the vast majority of my non-CAB friends (and indeed my wife) spent a long time trying to talk me out of believing it was any good, pointing out all the flaws as they went along.  I even made someone nearly think that working with me on a (non-comedy) project wouldn't be a good idea because I liked the show – the silence that filled the room when I mounted a defence of it was quite eerie, followed by a dismissive "I love Chris Morris, but surely you realise that was shit?".  I felt as if I'd just let a loud fart go, the effect was certainly identical, only perhaps less forgiving.

In short, then, since pithy posts are all the rage here nowadays – I don't think anyone should delude themselves that "Nathan Barley" was greatly loved by either the public or Morris fans and everyone who posts here is just being "negative" or "neurotic".  And no, I'm not saying this to suck up to the forum or the mods, before anyone asks.  I'm barely a part of this community these days, and to be honest I couldn't give a stuff.  I've better things to do with my time than butter up moderators of a website I only visit once every couple of days.

As for the vote-rigging – pah.  Can't be arsed.  Someone give it a "5" for me or something.  What the hell is "Lovefilm" anyway?

phantom_power

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "phantom_power"

ding ding ding ding*

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

well, saying that linehan would be unlikely to slag off spoons isn't exactly proof of anything, just something made up without any actual evidence. this happens a lot in lala's posts it seems and when a large part of your argument is based on what you THINK someone's motives are or what MIGHT happen in a given situation, then that argument ends up looking a bit flimsy

phantom_power

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "phantom_power"*inventing things to back up an argument alarm

Quick - stick it up your arse before it embarasses you further!

so you think inventing things without proof or evidence is a good way of making a point then?