Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Give Nathan Barley a more appropriate rating on lovefilm.com

Started by The Plaque Goblin, October 14, 2005, 10:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chers penis

more people have given it 6 and 7 than 1,2,3,4 and 5 combined!

TJ

Quote from: "alan strang"Didn't that bloke who ran the Let's All Have A Giggle About John's Not Mad / Joey Deacon website use the "anyone who doesn't enjoy a good laugh at this must be the sort of person who likes Friends" argument?

He did, but it's always difficult to tell when he actually means it and when he's taking the piss...

Deadman97

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"
Quote from: "Paul's Boutique"
QuoteAuthor: Dan Common from Chile

Morris is a dark, dark, dark writer. A very funny writer too, and far, far more intelligent than 99.9% of his audience. That he lets any of us peasants see his work is a miracle, and we should be thankful for whatever he gives us."

Sweet Jesus! That's appalling. Please don't think that those of us who stuck up for NB on here think like that.
I've stuck up for NB here and elsewhere and I continue to enjoy it a great deal, but whoever wrote that, viral or not, is just a cunt.

23 Daves

Quote from: "TJ"

If I say "well fucken Polly Brown and Pickettywitch, mate", will people fall about laughing?

I did just laugh at that, so maybe.  It's probably only funny because I know a lot of background stuff about Pickettywitch though, such as the fact they made themselves a fake silver disc because they were frustrated their single didn't quite get to the BPI "250,000" magic figure.  So that's quite a good insult, if you were trying to invent slang for something which didn't quite get to the mark but liked to pretend that it had.  If very, very, very obscure, and probably not even where your intentions lay.

Didn't Vic and Bob also use Pickettywitch as a throwaway "surreal" reference once as well?  Or was it "The Fast Show" on a Channel 9 sketch?

ffogems

QuoteOr was it "The Fast Show" on a Channel 9 sketch?

Dunno, I only watched it on BBC2.

*sniggers*

*exits without waiting for a (Dans) reaction*

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

This bloke, reviewing Extras, is clearly not a member of the public. He writes in pure pressrelease-ese:

Yes, Gervais (and Merchant) have done it again. A comedy that breaks new ground in many ways and will permanently alter the TV landscape. Once again, the currency is humiliation. And what could be more demeaning that working as an extra along side the A-listers from the TV/film world.

What is new is that real stars have been persuaded to appear, as themselves, and get ripped to shreds in the process. Only Gervais's huge credibility could have made this possible.

Gervais plays Andy Millman, a theatrical extra in desperate search of a speaking part. He comes close several times but his political incorrectness always trips him up.

Also new is the touching and very credible friendship between Andy and Maggie, a sort of female alter-ego of Gervais's character.

If you caught it on BBC2 you'll be ordering the DVD 'like a rat up a drain-pipe'.

TV comedy perfection.

ffogems

Why would a member of the Extras production feel it neccessary to laud a programme that doesn't need aggrandising?
Some Amazon reviews seem imitative of a 'professional' style, which irritates me. I don't mean that effusive 'Hes a GEnIuS' type reviews are any better, but at least they aren't tawdry copy-cat pieces with a contrived informality -  
Yes, Gervais (and Merchant) have done it again.
That kind of thing.
Are Amazon reviews ever helpful?
I think a balance between asinine and affected is helpful, but rarely find a review like this.