Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#1 Compilation by Neil

Started by lardboy, October 20, 2005, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lardboy

Just got in my hot and sweaties and popped it in for a good loud play.  

Only 3 tracks in, but so far it's a corker.  No tracklisting, and I think I'll have a couple of listens before I ask for one.

Oh yes!  Track 4's one of my favourites.  Sounds lovely so far, Neil.  Full review later...

Neil

Hooray!  Glad it got there ok and that you're enjoying it so far.

EDIT:  It's actually "#1 Compilation" Big Star reference, y'see.  Yes I am tedious, aren't I?

lardboy

zozman

Got this yesterday morning so thanks to Lardboy for posting, and Neil for composing.  I'll post something in the next few days when I've absorbed it a bit.  Sounds interesting though.

lardboy

I've had a good chance to let this soak in, so I'll bung a few thoughts up, I suppose.  Track by track is the only way I'm going to be able to do it without getting all confused so here we go...

1 - My first real listen to a band that it's obvious are a favourite of the compiler, and it's a good introduction.  It's an immensely likeable song with lovely guitar work and vocals.
2 - Never heard this before either.  Pop psychedelia, nice.
3 - A great choice.  Not listened in to this in years, which is proof that I'm an idiot.  The CDs are on the wishlist.
4 - Filth from the master.  Just great!
5 - Hmmm.  I've not been able to get into this.  I've given it loads of listens and can't get with it.  I think his voice just annoys me.
6 - Ooh, jangly new wave.  Interesting.
7 - More jangly guitars, but heavier.  I don't know much else by them, despite having read about them in the NME for years during the 90s.  Seems nice enough, but I'm not sure I'll get any more.
8 - Woah!  Now you want me to dance?  Well okay then, but I'll not be held responsible.  A fantastic wakener after some relatively sedate openers.
9 - Pop at its best.  More jangly guitars, by the kings of jangle.
10 - Ace!  Covers of this track are better known than the original, which is a shame, as it rocks bells, especially the breakdown.
11 - More new stuff to me.  Groovy psychedelia.  Goes a bit odd at the end and sounds like the Sally Army band for a couple of minutes.
12 - I have no idea how to categorise this.  A mental instrumental.
13 - Another familiar artist that I haven't looked into well enough.  I will now.  Good track title, by the way; it's got to be a contender for longest title in the CD tree?
14 - Let's rock!  Simple yet classic.  Dated, but none the worse for it.
15 - This reminded me of Goodfellas for some reason.  I'm pretty certain that it's not in the film, but it's evocative of the mid sixties and immediately made me think of 60's New York.  Superb girl group pop.
16 - Top of the Pops.
17 - More girl group R'n'B, this time with a lovely, lovely lead vocal.  The lead singer has a voice that contrasts so well with the backing singers on this; it's just magnificent.  Shivers down the spine each time I play it.
18 - Another appearance by the first artist.  Nice and simple, but I'm afraid it doesn't grab me particularly.
19 - Back to the girl pop, and it's as good as the rest.  You can smell the attitude off this one.  Another brilliant pop song.
20 - A great summery tune.  Makes me think of quiet drinks outside on a warm evening.  Probably the most recent track on this CD and it's still a good half decade old!
21 - They're back again.  More jangly guitars, and a nice vocal line.
22 - Ah, Beefheart.  This is the first time the Captain has made sense to me.  I've given Trout Mask Replica a good few attempts, but I usually given up with confused ears.  This is great, however and has inspired me to blow the cobwebs off TMR.  I'll give it one more chance...
23 - First listen I thought this might have been Viv Stanshall.  After a bit of googling, I was corrected and then disappointed to find out that this guy's dead as well.  A great love song that's funny, sweet and musically interesting to boot.
24 - A reprise, eh?  Cheeky.
25 - Nice, finally something classy.  Quite beautiful.

It's a bit of an epic at 25 tracks, but it's an interesting journey.  Thanks Neil

Neil

Quote from: "lardboy"I've had a good chance to let this soak in, so I'll bung a few thoughts up, I suppose.  Track by track is the only way I'm going to be able to do it without getting all confused so here we go...

Hey hey, sorry for taking so long to reply to this.  Huge thanks for going to all this trouble though, I really need to do the same with the discs I've received so far!  I really enjoyed reading what you had to say about the tunes, good or bad.

Quote1 - My first real listen to a band that it's obvious are a favourite of the compiler, and it's a good introduction.  It's an immensely likeable song with lovely guitar work and vocals.

Yes, seems to be an accesible one this, I've not had much luck when pestering people with my fave one by them (track 21), but generally folks seem to love this one from the off.  And rigtly so!

Quote2 - Never heard this before either.  Pop psychedelia, nice.

Yep!  These are one of those bands where I figure people would just skip them if they knew their name :-)   I adore this though, perfectly paced.

Quote3 - A great choice.  Not listened in to this in years, which is proof that I'm an idiot.  The CDs are on the wishlist.

Excellent!  Get the box set, if you've not done so.  His out-takes are alwauys incredible.

Quote5 - Hmmm.  I've not been able to get into this.  I've given it loads of listens and can't get with it.  I think his voice just annoys me.

Aw, that's a shame.  I should have went with the other big one off that album I think, it's another track where people only really know it through a cover version.  

Quote7 - More jangly guitars, but heavier.  I don't know much else by them, despite having read about them in the NME for years during the 90s.  Seems nice enough, but I'm not sure I'll get any more.

That's a shame.  I think this is another of those ones that slowly creeps up on you, I find it ridiculously gorgeous.

Quote8 - Woah!  Now you want me to dance?  Well okay then, but I'll not be held responsible.  A fantastic wakener after some relatively sedate openers.

isn't it great?  I've never found a better version of that song..and what's more I'll bet there aren't too many people on here who won't have heard this version.  

Quote10 - Ace!  Covers of this track are better known than the original, which is a shame, as it rocks bells, especially the breakdown.

Yep!  Bloody love it to bits, it does, as you say, rock bells.  Love the rawness of the vocal.

Quote11 - More new stuff to me.  Groovy psychedelia.  Goes a bit odd at the end and sounds like the Sally Army band for a couple of minutes.

Hehe yes!  I wouldn't be surprised if the ending causes lots of skippage, but the main song itself is terrific fun.

Quote12 - I have no idea how to categorise this.  A mental instrumental.

'Play three times to convert it to a pop song.'

Quote13 - Another familiar artist that I haven't looked into well enough.  I will now.  Good track title, by the way; it's got to be a contender for longest title in the CD tree?

Ha, yes!  Finally started a thread about this lot, and the track is up there for download.

Quote15 - This reminded me of Goodfellas for some reason.  I'm pretty certain that it's not in the film, but it's evocative of the mid sixties and immediately made me think of 60's New York.  Superb girl group pop.

I love this girl group, I just wish there was more stuff by them.  And actually, it's not accurate to refer to them as a girl group, as the thing that really set them apart was the male vocal... still hard to think of them as anything other than a girl group though.  They should have been massive, really.

Quote17 - More girl group R'n'B, this time with a lovely, lovely lead vocal.  The lead singer has a voice that contrasts so well with the backing singers on this; it's just magnificent.  Shivers down the spine each time I play it.

Great!  Glad to hear that.  Another group I keep meaning to start a thread about.  They have quite an interesting history too...and they were generally only given songs that didn't fit anyone else!  Two of their songs have been covered by massive artists (the biggest, in one case), but despite that they still seem to be relatively obscure.  If you're interested in hearing more then don't get the compilation that's been released, there was one put out a few years back which has more stuff on it.

Quote19 - Back to the girl pop, and it's as good as the rest.  You can smell the attitude off this one.  Another brilliant pop song.

Yes, I really love that kind of dichotomy in music.  Here you have this lovely sweet girly noise, but when you listen to the lyrics they sound as if they'd kick a hole in your shins as soon as look at you!

Quote20 - A great summery tune.  Makes me think of quiet drinks outside on a warm evening.  Probably the most recent track on this CD and it's still a good half decade old!

Hehe :-)  I do adore this, it's one of those few songs I fell in love with the first time I heard it.  Great group, too.  And a ridiclously prolific front-man.

21 - They're back again.  More jangly guitars, and a nice vocal line.

Not just my fave track by them, as mentioned up there, but almost certainly my  fave track ever.  Can reduce me to tears.  As I mentioned though, it doesn't seem to connect with everyone.  I've a feeling this one might take a good deal of time to work its way under peoples skin.  I'm interested to know what other people will make of this track, it just makes me melt.

Quote22 - Ah, Beefheart.  This is the first time the Captain has made sense to me.  I've given Trout Mask Replica a good few attempts, but I usually given up with confused ears.  This is great, however and has inspired me to blow the cobwebs off TMR.  I'll give it one more chance...

Nah, don't bother.  Instead I'd recommed starting off with something like Safe As Milk, Strictly Personal, "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" or perhaps  Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) which is where that song comes from.  If Trout Mask replica hasn't connected with you then just leave it till last, I hate the way that album puts an awful lot of people off fully exploring Beefheart!  If you want to get a compilation then Electricity is a good place to start, the title track itself is awesome.

Quote23 - First listen I thought this might have been Viv Stanshall.  After a bit of googling, I was corrected and then disappointed to find out that this guy's dead as well.  A great love song that's funny, sweet and musically interesting to boot.

Yes, a lovely piece of work this, if you like that then you'll adore the rest of his work too.  "Funny, sweet and musically interesting" is a perfect way to sum him up in general, I think.  Although not so sweet at times.

Quote24 - A reprise, eh?  Cheeky.
25 - Nice, finally something classy.  Quite beautiful.

:-)  Really glad you seem to have enjoyed it, thanks again for going to all that trouble!

Neil

I'm just thinking that I might have screwed up track 7 and put on an acoustic version instead of the much more powerful album version...  Could someone please tell me whether or not that track starts with a spoken intro that goes something like 'Here it is, the crazy mad start' 'Wow, bonkers.'  Thanks.

zozman

Nah, you're alright.  It's not the acoustic version, and there's no spoken word introduction.  I hope that's not contadictory.

Neil

Phew!  Thanks for letting me know.

I'm just looking at lardboy's post and trying to work out what I think may be on your disc, Neil.  I'm pretty confident for picking out a few things...

Neil

Want to PM me your guesses?

lardboy

Quote from: "Neil"I'm just thinking that I might have screwed up track 7 and put on an acoustic version instead of the much more powerful album version...  Could someone please tell me whether or not that track starts with a spoken intro that goes something like 'Here it is, the crazy mad start' 'Wow, bonkers.'  Thanks.

I probably described it badly as "more jangly guitars", so worried you needlessly.  Sorry.  I've had a few more listens and have changed my views on some songs, all for the better.  Still sounds great.

Of course, you've now highlighted the fact that I haven't bothered with the other CDs I've received, and made me feel guilty, so I really will make an effort to re-listen and post nore thoughts later this weekend.  However, I might just get distracted by videogames, so we'll see.

Neil

Quote from: "lardboy"I probably described it badly as "more jangly guitars", so worried you needlessly.  Sorry.  I've had a few more listens and have changed my views on some songs, all for the better.  Still sounds great.

Oh, great stuff!  I'd be interested to hear about that at some point.  And no, the worrying was nowt to do with you, I just couldn't find the album version of that track in my directory today.

QuoteOf course, you've now highlighted the fact that I haven't bothered with the other CDs I've received, and made me feel guilty, so I really will make an effort to re-listen and post nore thoughts later this weekend.  However, I might just get distracted by videogames, so we'll see.

Oh, me too, I feel similarly bad.  I still need to get/compile a copy of Beagle's disc too, I didn't have enough space to copy it.

Yup - I'm still thinking I need to hear this disc...

Neil

Yeah let's get that swap arranged, I'm setting one up with Plonker at the mo too.