Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I've just caught a mouse... (Humane Traps)

Started by 23 Daves, October 22, 2005, 05:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Make me smile

I spent the weekend on the missus' farm and was a bit disturbed by the Larsen (magpie) trap. It looks like some kind of animal hutch, a big square wooden frame with chicken wire round the outside, separated into quarters by more wire. The top is open, with spring loaded covers that flip up to seal the box when a small bamboo bar is dislodged

The idea is that you get a magpie from someone else with a trap and stick it in one of the boxes. In the others you place eggs, and the combination of the decoy 'intruder' bird and the eggs attracts other magpies in.

They then get caught and someone has to wring their necks.

Even though I am originally from the country I feel like such a fey towny when I am there.

mothman

Quote from: "difbrook"Had a battle royale with the last one, as it got bolder and bolder, and started to squeak defiantly everytime I went into the other room. I'd run back into the kitchen, not find anything and then he'd go "neek" again when my back was turned.

Eventually he got himself trapped in a corner behind the microwave. As he struggled for freedom by attempting to climb out, I lobbed a scrubbing brush at him, which caught him a glancing blow and stunned him. He sat there shaking his little whiskery head for a few moments and was unceremoniously scooped into an old storage jar I had lying around.

I then hurtled out into the Edinburgh night, wearing nothing but a pair of old jeans, with the intent to release him in a garden several streets away. Ran straight past a young woman who studies at the university I work at, and I'm sure the sight of a half naked librarian running down the street, cackling maniacally with a half-awake mouse in a storage jar is something that has driven her into years of expensive therapy.

Fantastic! That's your script for Mouse Hunt 2 written, right there.

Mr Colossal

I live right by a river so until we got  a cat we'd occasionally get the odd fieldmouse kamikaze diving down the side of the sofa or behind the kitchen cupboards upon  interupting its early morning raiding.

The local odd bits and bobs store used to sell these humane traps  that are pretty effective and no fuss-  they're kind of like a  toppled see saw shape        (   _/  )  with a trap-doored opening. Place some food of choice at the raised end, and the curious little fella will enter, then end up rocking the trap, closing the trap door- which can be opened for easy release.

Jemble Fred

This thread's title has sent the Beatles song 'I've Just Seen A Face' spinning round my head all day.

So cheers.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Huzzie"We seem to have a hamster infestation problem each year at about this time, we haven't seen any yet though so touch wodd they are leaving us alone for a winter.

I don't think those are hamsters, unless you recently moved to Syria

difbrook

Quote from: "The Unicorn"
Quote from: "Huzzie"We seem to have a hamster infestation problem each year at about this time, we haven't seen any yet though so touch wodd they are leaving us alone for a winter.

I don't think those are hamsters, unless you recently moved to Syria

Perhaps it's one of these, trying a new infiltration technique.

watch yourself. They're treacherous little bastards.

greencalx

To finally nail down whether I'd been infiltrated or not, I sprinkled some flour on the kitchen floor as it's "good for tracking" apparently.  Jerry helped himself to the whole lot.  In fact, the next morning I had to think very hard as to whether I'd put any down or not.

Mice are smarter than you think - they've evolved to live near and off humans, but generally without being seen.  They're sensitive creatures, too, and apparently learn the dangers of traps at quite an early age.  Maybe the 'humane' ones are better than the springs for that, as they never see a dead comrade in one of them.  I'm told drowning is the least inhumane way to dispatch them; if you don't release them far enough away from your house, they tend to find their way back in.

And they do poo and piss everywhere, so you must sort the problem out properly.

Huzzie

king_tubby

slight bump.

Just found out why the toaster's been making a funny smell for the past three weeks.

Dead mouse. My vegan flatmate lives on toast. Everyone point and laugh.

Cerys

I do hope the mouse was dead before the toaster was switched on.

(Oh, and hahahaha.)

greencalx

Very funny.  Of course, a true vegan wouldn't eat bread, what with yeast being a fungus and therefore in a higher kingdom than plain old veg and the baking process killing them off.

23 Daves

And how do they know that the ploughing of the field in order to get the wheat to make the bread didn't sever the heads off of numerous field mice?  Hypocrites.

mcbpete

Quote from: "Mr Colossal"
The local odd bits and bobs store used to sell these humane traps  that are pretty effective and no fuss-  they're kind of like a  toppled see saw shape        (   _/  )  with a trap-doored opening. Place some food of choice at the raised end, and the curious little fella will enter, then end up rocking the trap, closing the trap door- which can be opened for easy release.

That's the ones we've go in our house. We've been trying to catch the bugger for ages and we finally put some ASDA Milky Way-equivalent at the end of it. All three of my flatmates were looking on with sheer delight to see the mouse coming out from under the fridge and slowly into the trap. And we finally caught the bastard.

We then went on a walk carrying the trap and after about half an hour we stuck the thing in a bush near a pond.

Then we went home and had a glass of lemonade.

(The last bit isn't stictly true)

butnut

Quote from: "greencalx"Very funny.  Of course, a true vegan wouldn't eat bread, what with yeast being a fungus and therefore in a higher kingdom than plain old veg and the baking process killing them off.

I remember a couple of mates working out that if you wanted a diet that included no animal or plant products in any way, the only things you could have are water and salt. There must be other things you could have, but they couldn't think of them.