Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New General Comics Chat

Started by Mister Six, November 01, 2005, 06:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronster

I have seen them collected in reprints of 2000AD....but again a matter of digging through old comic shops hoping to get an entire run ( I tried many moons ago and failed horribly - maybe time to try again though.......)

Santa's Boyfriend

It's possible that there are scans kicking around p2p sites, plus there's some cunt that I saw selling them on CD on ebay a while back.  The books do actually pop up on ebay quite a lot, but they always go for about £30, and Phase 4 was never reprinted - so yes, your best bet for the forseeable future is definitely your old copies of 2000ad.

I met Neil Gaiman today at his Norwich signing. A thoroughly nice bloke, who has obviously got a lot of time for his fans. I got signed copies of Coraline, Stardust, and Anansi Boys. If any of you people can make it to one of his appearances, then I'd really recommend it, it was great fun and an excellent start to a Saturday.

Gareth H

Big disappointment for me so far has got to be All Star Batman & Robin.  I was really looking forward to this, as Batman has been a favourite of mine, but it was just rubbish.

And I suffered through the War Games arc too.

Ugh.

Xander

It's official - though everyone knew it anyway - but Thomas Hayden Church is going to be playing the Sandman. He looks perfect, and here's a link to an awesome pic, so you can see for yourself! http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21754

mikeyg27

I really hope that Topher Grace is not Venom, because it's going to take an awful fucking lot of hours in the gym to get his physique up to scratch. Plus there's no way he'd be bad-ass enough. Also, Venom would have to be practically all CGI which would look shit. Electro just sounds more plausible to me.

Ronster

That shot of sandman looks great......bang on the nose really - that makes me very happy indeed on a morning when I have woken up feeling like shit :)

Smackhead Kangaroo

ohh speculating on Spidey 3 eh. Well Goblin is almost a certainty surely? Didn't films abandon having one film wind things up in favour of the frnachised trilogy doing it instead? Or is this going to drag on until Maguire is a fat old Rocky esque duffer?

The lizard? he's the teacher. maybe that was just some cameo for no reason.

Deadman97

Certainly not a pointless cameo- he's been mentioned in the first film and featured in the second, one-armed and everything. I reckon they're hedging their bets and introducing him into the continuity in case they decide to use him. Sandman looks superb, but I don't want Venom or Electro in the next film. Venom deserves to not have to share with two other villains and Electro is just... stupid.

difbrook

I have those scans of Zenith kicking around. If anyone's interested, I'll bung 'em up somewhere later on when I get home.

while I'm here, has anyone dared to delve into the insanely complicated universe of Star Wars comics? I'm beginning to be interested in checking them out as I'm on a bit of a SW kick at the minute, but I've got hold of a reading timeline that covers pretty much every frame ever printed, and it looks terribly daunting.

is any of it actually any good, or would I just be wasting my time?

Santa's Boyfriend

I've never read any myself, but I've been told that John Wagner's Boba Fett stuff was good.

So you've got all four phases of Zenith scanned?  Or do you mean just some images?

difbrook

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"I've never read any myself, but I've been told that John Wagner's Boba Fett stuff was good.

So you've got all four phases of Zenith scanned?  Or do you mean just some images?

should be phases 1-4, as part of my ongoing "if-I-ever-see-this-on-ebay-I'll-be-very-pissed-off" archive project to get all of 2000ad scanned and preserved. It's a bit random as I'm grabbing stuff off newsgroups to save time and doing what I have myself - but I'm about one fifth of the way there... theree's a few gaps, but the first 300 issues plus all of Starlord and Tornado are more or less done. Zenith's later, but I've got all of those issues scanned already.

shouldn't be too hard to extract the chapters from the relevant issues, bung them all together in a rar file and upload them.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "difbrook"part of my ongoing "if-I-ever-see-this-on-ebay-I'll-be-very-pissed-off" archive project to get all of 2000ad scanned and preserved.

Blimey.

It's difficult to predict exactly what 2000ad's response to that would be.  On the one hand, I think they may be pissed off about things they own being available free or whatever, but on the other hand, they're missing an awful lot of their back catalogue, so in theory they might actually be grateful if you gave them a copy or whatever.  I think they're more or less ok on the first 500 issues or so, but after that their collections get very patchy.  (I remember the runup to Necropolis has been lost, for example - the story of Dredd leaving Justice Dept.)

What do you plan to do with it all?

difbrook

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"
Quote from: "difbrook"part of my ongoing "if-I-ever-see-this-on-ebay-I'll-be-very-pissed-off" archive project to get all of 2000ad scanned and preserved.

Blimey.

It's difficult to predict exactly what 2000ad's response to that would be.  On the one hand, I think they may be pissed off about things they own being available free or whatever, but on the other hand, they're missing an awful lot of their back catalogue, so in theory they might actually be grateful if you gave them a copy or whatever.  I think they're more or less ok on the first 500 issues or so, but after that their collections get very patchy.  (I remember the runup to Necropolis has been lost, for example - the story of Dredd leaving Justice Dept.)

What do you plan to do with it all?

It's really only for distribution among any acquaintances who might be interested, and to keep preserved copies for myself. All that newsprint is going to moulder to nothing eventually. No further aim, and I'm certainly not going to be flooging copies anywhere... it's just something that excites and engages the archivist part of me that loves to collate and preserve stuff. Tragic, innit?

Santa's Boyfriend

I don't think it's tragic at all, everyone needs a hobby.  It may well be worth contacting 2000AD and letting them know that you're preserving your back catalogue, as they may wish to call on you if they want to reprint something.  I don't know if you'd get any cash, but you never know.

I'm definitely interested in Zenith scans.

difbrook

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"I don't think it's tragic at all, everyone needs a hobby.  It may well be worth contacting 2000AD and letting them know that you're preserving your back catalogue, as they may wish to call on you if they want to reprint something.  I don't know if you'd get any cash, but you never know.

I'm definitely interested in Zenith scans.

that's a very good idea - I might just do that. I had no idea that their archive was so spotty. I know there was a scandal a few years back when prime McMahon and Bolland art pages "walked" - or at least weren't locatable when the artists asked for them back. Didn't realise the later-period stuff was in such a state though.

I'll dig out the Zenith stuff when I get in from work tonight, then. Should be ok to post 'em up here, I think - as ever, if Neil or T.J are uncomfortable with the idea, I'll comply with their wishes.

I'll also post up the freeware Comic Reader program - install it, and rename your .rar file to .cbr (or a .zip file to .cbz) and it reads all the pages in order and lets you resize to something that's more easily viewable. Neat little thing.

difbrook

As promised. Zenith, Phases 1 and 2, plus the short "interlude" stories.

Zenith Phase 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QJXW8EKS

Zenith Phase 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RQ7RB5B8

Interludes
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7EH42NYS

each episode comes as a .cbr or .cbz file, zipped up into one bundle. These are readable using the CDisplay comic reader program - newest version available via google. If you don't want to install anything else on your pc, just rename the files as .rar or .zip, and unzip using your program of choice - they're standard jpgs, bundled together.

Phases 3 and 4 are on the way - Phase 3 is *huge* by comparison with the other bits, and is taking a bit longer. Should be up by the end of the night though.

Deadman97

Sometimes a simple "thanks" doesn't seem enough. What you're doing with your 2000AD project is really admirable, and I'm very, very grateful for these files. If you use slsk I've got plenty of stuff in my shared folder (Batman mostly, admittedly), I use the same screen-name as I do here so please have a look if you ever see me there.
Oh my fucking god they're really good scans as well nnnngggg it's a good thing these aren't on paper let me tell you

difbrook

Quote from: "Deadman97"Sometimes a simple "thanks" doesn't seem enough. What you're doing with your 2000AD project is really admirable, and I'm very, very grateful for these files. If you use slsk I've got plenty of stuff in my shared folder (Batman mostly, admittedly), I use the same screen-name as I do here so please have a look if you ever see me there.
Oh my fucking god they're really good scans as well nnnngggg it's a good thing these aren't on paper let me tell you

Ah, you're more than welcome. A message like this makes the project worth doing.

Oh, and I forgot one last night. Here's the final, final, absolutely final-full-stop Zenith story, from the epochal prog 2001.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M80QSVD8

Santa's Boyfriend

Thanks so much for uploading Zenith.  I'm lucky enough to own phases 1 and 2 as titan reprints (3 graphic novels, probably worth about £100 together these days), but I've never been able to read phases 3 and 4.  Normally I wouldn't approve of uploading comics, but this is a real exception as there's no other way to read it!

difbrook

Quote from: "Santa's Boyfriend"Thanks so much for uploading Zenith.  I'm lucky enough to own phases 1 and 2 as titan reprints (3 graphic novels, probably worth about £100 together these days), but I've never been able to read phases 3 and 4.  Normally I wouldn't approve of uploading comics, but this is a real exception as there's no other way to read it!

and I certainly have no intention of uploading anything else - it's purely because they're long out of print. I'm chuffed that I've been able to help out, though. It's a *fantastic* series.

nice to see Steve Yeowell working merrily at 2000ad to this day as well. His cover from a couple of weeks ago proves - if nothing else - that he's been watching "Jack of All Trades" recently...

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: "difbrook"nice to see Steve Yeowell working merrily at 2000ad to this day as well. His cover from a couple of weeks ago proves - if nothing else - that he's been watching "Jack of All Trades" recently...

Yeah, but his art isn't nearly as good these days.  One of the really wonderful things about Zenith was Yeowell's stark use of light and shadow.  He doesn't do that anymore, and it makes his work look less interesting.

Xander

Wow. Thanks. Umm, I must admit, I'm a comics fan but not a 2000AD nut. I never grew up on it (preferring DC in general, or the Beano), but I've read plenty of Judge Dredd, Slade and Halo Jones. I've never touched Zenith at all, nor paid any interest to it until you've just uploaded it.

Wanted to say thank you, as a new fan, for introducing me to something I'd never have batted an eyelid towards previously.

difbrook

Quote from: "Xander"Wow. Thanks. Umm, I must admit, I'm a comics fan but not a 2000AD nut. I never grew up on it (preferring DC in general, or the Beano), but I've read plenty of Judge Dredd, Slade and Halo Jones. I've never touched Zenith at all, nor paid any interest to it until you've just uploaded it.

Wanted to say thank you, as a new fan, for introducing me to something I'd never have batted an eyelid towards previously.

ah, that's great. I'm really pleased that you like it. Zenith's one of those utterly barking mad 2000ad stories that kept me a fan for a very long time - when it was going through a terrible phase of updating the old stories and *sucking any spirit out of it completely* (Rogue Trooper being particularly bad, and the scars left by the revamps that poor old Robo-Hunter underwent will never *ever* heal), the thing that kept me going was the fact that you'd get stuff like this or Freaks, Sooner or Later,  Hewligan's Haircut,  Bix Barton... and of course Anderson:Psi Division continued to be quietly magnificent, cooking away under the sure pen of Arthur Ranson.

I do tend to like 2000ad when it's in black and white for some reason. When you get someone like Ranson or Yeowell working their arses off, they can really produce something gorgeous that makes up for any number of Dredd-by-numbers stories.

Boss Mew

Thank you difbrook
You have no idea how happy I am to finally have all the Zenith stories

I had a poster of Acid Archie on my wall for years

Oh of note to any Morrison fans...this snippet of strange information...

http://musicnews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Music/virginMusicNewsDetail/0,13556,665322_music,00.html

Ronster

Another load of thanks to you difbrook

Those downloads have made my week....I'm stuck at home recovering from having my tonsils removed so will be happily catching up on Zenith while eating ice cream and bemoaning my sore ex tonsils!

difbrook

Quote from: "Ronster"Another load of thanks to you difbrook

Those downloads have made my week....I'm stuck at home recovering from having my tonsils removed so will be happily catching up on Zenith while eating ice cream and bemoaning my sore ex tonsils!

well, I'm glad you'll at least have something to read to take your mind off it... best wishes for a speedy recovery.

mikeyg27

Okay, I'm not that familiar with Geoff Johns' work, so can someone tell me if he's usually this good at last-pages? That's two issues of Infinite Crisis where he's done it well good.

Oh, and i got the Perez one again.

Mister Six

Quote from: "Boss Mew"Thank you difbrook
You have no idea how happy I am to finally have all the Zenith stories

I had a poster of Acid Archie on my wall for years

Oh of note to any Morrison fans...this snippet of strange information...

http://musicnews.virgin.net/Virgin/Lifestyle/Music/virginMusicNewsDetail/0,13556,665322_music,00.html

There are pics about halfway down here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2294