Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris to appear in The IT Crowd

Started by InfiniteFury, November 04, 2005, 12:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffogems

Having seen an episode, I predict it will divide VerbWhores right down the middle (between W and H).
The episode I saw had not just Richard Ayoade but Noel Fielding in it. That's a lot to overcome.

Slackboy

Quote from: "ffogems"Having seen an episode, I predict it will divide VerbWhores right down the middle (between W and H).
The episode I saw had not just Richard Ayoade but Noel Fielding in it. That's a lot to overcome.
Ooooh, look at Little Miss "I've got contacts" there. Come on son, get it torrented somewhere so that we can all have a gander.

(Seriously though, can you pm me with link details please if you've got them please? You are my favourite one on here after all.)

Nuts 'n Gum

I think he's saying that he's been to a filming as opposed to a produced master copy of an episode..

Neil

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"Hey if we continue to keep our expectations low enough then we'll be chewing our heads off in glee if it turns out to be great.

Is there something wrong with having reasonable expectations?  If you were making a cake with ingredients that were either well past their sell-by date or just of a generally dreadful quality, would I be wrong to conclude that it might well taste like shit before you'd even put it in the oven?

alan strang

Quote from: "Slackboy"(Seriously though, can you pm me with link details please if you've got them please?

His run-down of the recording is in the other thread.

I thought the joke about the IT people laughing at a badly-assembled circuitboard was quite amusing (even though it's effectively Fry & Laurie's Open University Blooper sketch but not quite as good).

Slackboy

Quote from: "Nuts 'n Gum"I think he's saying that he's been to a filming as opposed to a produced master copy of an episode..
Ah right, I see.

ffogems: is there any chance that you could film some of it on your mobile phone (which I'm guessing is really expensive for some reason) and then upload it to Rapidshare for us please? And could you maybe happyslap Morris and then do the same thing with that file too also as well? I'm sure he'd see the funny side.

Quote from: "Neil"Is there something wrong with having reasonable expectations?  If you were making a cake with ingredients that were either well past their sell-by date or just of a generally dreadful quality, would I be wrong to conclude that it might well taste like shit before you'd even put it in the oven?

oh yeah that's very true.  However, that analogy only stands when talking about cakes.  You can logically assume a cake to be rubbish if the ingredients are gone-off, but you have to wait and see if the comedy show is mouldy, regardless of questions raised about the ingredients.  At the end of the day, you could put Peter Cook, Lenny Bruce and Spike Milligan in a big cake and it might still turn out to be an awfully nasty mess.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"you could put Peter Cook, Lenny Bruce and Spike Milligan in a big cake and it might still turn out to be an awfully nasty mess.

Yes, but if someone suspected a Cook/Bruce/Milligan show might be really great, would you get annoyed and say 'Wait till you've seen it'? Or would you consider their optimism justified based on the available evidence?

Same situation here, surely? Why is saying 'Graham Linehan wrote Father Ted so it might be good' OK, but saying 'It's got Richard Ayoade in it so it's probably going to be shit' not?

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Same situation here, surely? Why is saying 'Graham Linehan wrote Father Ted so it might be good' OK, but saying 'It's got Richard Ayoade in it so it's probably going to be shit' not?

Because that's entirely irrational.  The Aston Martin DB5 had terrible handling, but it's a great sportscar.  One component part being shit doesn't guarentee the end product being crap, just as one fantastic component will mean brilliant.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"

Because that's entirely irrational.  The Aston Martin DB5 had terrible handling, but it's a great sportscar.  One component part being shit doesn't guarentee the end product being crap, just as one fantastic component will mean brilliant.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean - why is it irrational? Are you saying 'Hmm, looks shit' is more irrational than 'Hmm, looks good'?

Neil

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"oh yeah that's very true.  However, that analogy only stands when talking about cakes.  You can logically assume a cake to be rubbish if the ingredients are gone-off, but you have to wait and see if the comedy show is mouldy, regardless of questions raised about the ingredients.  At the end of the day, you could put Peter Cook, Lenny Bruce and Spike Milligan in a big cake and it might still turn out to be an awfully nasty mess.

Well it was just a quick analogy in the middle of a Letterman break, but I think it makes the point really.  I could have added that I'm not that thrilled about the chef either, as I really couldn't stand Black Books.  Having said that, the first series was very funny in parts (the first time round.)  It got fucking awful when he left, but it still wasn't world-beating comedy when he was co-writing it.

I think Richard Ayoade is dreadful (his delivery is 'as forced as rape' as someone brilliantly put it in the 'Write your own Barley episode' thread).  I think Noel Fielding is even worse than Ayoade, so that's another mark against it for me.  And Chris Morris has been dreadful for a right old while now, his last on-screen performance showed him to be incredibly out of practice as a performer.  The device of having a 'special guest' in every week sounds a bit suspect too, I could probably take a look at the Pugwash wedding photos and tell you exactly who they'll be.

So...taking all that into account, why shouldn't I be allowed to think it'll probably be deeply average?

I just think it's a bit irrational just to assume something's going to be terrible just coz you've evaluated the component ingredients.

I mean if you put the Vantage into a big gateaux with Steve Martin.....

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"I just think it's a bit irrational just to assume something's going to be terrible just coz you've evaluated the component ingredients.

But why don't people get annoyed when it's assumed that a show will be good? That's what I've never understood.

Neil

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"I just think it's a bit irrational just to assume something's going to be terrible just coz you've evaluated the component ingredients.

It's not though, surely!  What if I said your favourite guitar band was going to do an experimental album where they dispatched with their singer and used Roy Chubby Brown instead?  Would you then wait and see how it turned out, or would you presume that it'd probably be deeply crap?

Quote from: "Neil"Richard Ayoade is dreadful... Noel Fielding is even worse... And Chris Morris has been dreadful for a right old while now.

So...taking all that into account, why shouldn't I be allowed to think it'll probably be deeply average?

Actually you're convincing me now.  I suppose a car with a fantastic chasis but rubbish engine and gears won't make a good sports car.

ffogems

The use of mobile phones was prohibited. Recording was even stopped so that an anonymous audience member could be reprimanded.
Perhaps it was just staged to put the fear in us. An anti-phone happy slap on the wrist. Maybe not.

Ayoade has done nothing to evoke optimism though has he? In fact I think his T.V appearances as himself have made me abhor him profoundly.

In the other I.T Crowd thread I mentioned that he glared at Rob Deering (our warm-up man) with comtempt, as if Deering was inferior for doing what he was doing, and Ayoade, now being part of the Linehan/Morris/Iannucci clique, was feeding his masters grapes and making them guffaw with his 'acting badly at pretending to be a bad Court Jester routine.

Quote from: "Neil"What if I said your favourite guitar band was going to do an experimental album where they dispatched with their singer and used Roy Chubby Brown instead?  Would you then wait and see how it turned out, or would you presume that it'd probably be deeply crap?

Deeply crap.  but I'd sure watch it.
(as long as they had Jethro on bass)

Quote from: "ffogems"Recording was even stopped so that an anonymous audience member could be reprimanded.

"Thursten Lowe"?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Don't record on mobile phones - use a minidisc with a mic going up your sleeve. Or maybe one poking cheekily out of a bag. They'll never spot it.

ffogems

QuoteI think Noel Fielding is even worse than Ayoade

Not sure if Fielding is a recurring character. Hard to say. But he did make me laugh (with funny lines rather than facial expressions), however he was just doing his 'Noel adorned in make-up and adopting silly voice' routine.

ffogems

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"one-trick pony that kid.
Nah, he played a goth.

bithez

how many times has morris performed in front of an audience? two minutes of IAP - anything else? a couple of acceptance speeches. do they count? this could be good for him.

Neil

His bits are pre-recorded though...  

I'm struggling to remember the IAP stories, I remember lots of talk about him being VERY nervous in front of the audience.

Suppose you could count that The Time The Place thing as performing in front of an audience as well?

EDIT:  Oh I vaguely remember one of them now...something about the warmp-up chap or Coogan trying to get Morris to talk to the audience, and him just walking past and ignoring it, it was along those lines anyway.  And I think Coogan said something to the audience about Morris being really nervous as he'd not performed in front of an audience since his university days.  Why aren't Linehan and Mathews writing these things together anymore?  Neither seem to have made anything that even approaches Father Ted when they've worked alone or with others.

Oh. So people are expecting it to be shit then? Thats sad because I was going to look forward to it. :-( A bit of positive excitement would have been fun, I remember when we used to do that on here many years ago... course it was for the brass eye special and look where that got us!

Anyway I guess if you don't like Graham Linehans writing then its fair enough, I think he's great - at his worst he's black books series one (which is far from awful) and at his best he's father ted and hippies. Thems some good odds surely?

Do a lot of people consider the cast an important part of what makes a show good or not then? I dont have much respect for actors im afraid, its always writers and writing I admire. Clerks for example is appalingly acted but the script overcomes it amazingly. I know in some cases it can really bug people though, I recall lala claiming he could never enjoy something ricky gervais was in because he'd just see gervais underlying personality and it would put him off. Ayoade seems to bring out similar reactions in people. So the performance would actually be enough to turn a decent show crap would it? Infact even if the performace was okay would the past history be enough to drag it down anyway? Difficult to know if we could ever enjoy anything again then unless the current crop of actors and performers are burnt and we usher in some new ones.

As for morris, as I said earlier I find him hypnotically watchable, he does have an incredible amount of charisma and screen presence. Even in IAP for the brief few minutes he's there your eyes are glued to him despite the fact a genuinely talented and experienced comedy actor is sitting opposite him. That said I agree wholeheartedly with Neil about his last main appearance - the Brasseye special certainly seemed to show him horribly out of practice didn't it? I wonder why that happened? It hadn't been that long since the original series and he was fine in that. Do you think there was a possibility that his heart wasn't in it?

Anyway I think I'm looking forward to this - perhaps a good topic for another thread would be what would excite the c&b collective now? What would we like to see? Are there any existing writers and performers we would like to see go to work on something new or do we think what the comedy world needs most of all is some new unheard of blood to come and shake things up?

chand

Quote from: "ffogems"Didn't realise his surname is pronounced 'I-O-ARD-EE' - he really is a KUR-NNT, isn't he?

Christ, we're even slagging off his actual name now?

slim

I'd always presumed it was I-O-DAH. I dont' know why though.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Labian Quest

QuoteI know in some cases it can really bug people though, I recall lala claiming he could never enjoy something ricky gervais was in because he'd just see gervais underlying personality and it would put him off

Apparently it is very difficult to laugh at someone's jokes if you actually strongly dislike them, regardless of how funny they may be.

Chers penis

QuoteApparently it is very difficult to laugh at someone's jokes if you actually strongly dislike them, regardless of how funny they may be.

no "apparently" about it it's perfectly true, but i don't understand how people can hate someone they don't actually know, i like to judge people on thier work. I've never met gervais therefore i don't feel right calling him a cunt.