Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Izzard as Dr Who ?

Started by Clarky Cat, March 04, 2004, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Spong

I eat, sleep and breathe Doctor Who, and I'd still like to see Paul McGann in the role.  I think he's a great Doctor, but realistically it's not gonna happen.

If not, then I think Hugh Grant would be an inspired choice.

I've never thought about that George Irving fellow, but yeah, I definitely approve.

By the way, Alan Davies, Eddie Izzard.  No chance.  The part will go to an actor, as opposed to a comedian with acting pretensions.

elderford

Well how about:

Mark E Smith, I can't see him taking any shit off of the Cybermen?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Lord Spong"I eat, sleep and breathe Doctor Who, and I'd still like to see Paul McGann in the role.  I think he's a great Doctor, but realistically it's not gonna happen.

If not, then I think Hugh Grant would be an inspired choice.

I've never thought about that George Irving fellow, but yeah, I definitely approve.

By the way, Alan Davies, Eddie Izzard.  No chance.  The part will go to an actor, as opposed to a comedian with acting pretensions.

Well, as I said in the previous Dr Who thread, if the new show doesn't at least START with McGann, then it's not official Doctor Who, and will have to take its place alongside the Peter Cushing movies. Sylvester McCoy died, Paul McGann took his place deal with it.

Lord Spong

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Well, as I said in the previous Dr Who thread, if the new show doesn't at least START with McGann, then it's not official Doctor Who, and will have to take its place alongside the Peter Cushing movies. Sylvester McCoy died, Paul McGann took his place deal with it.

After Colin Baker got the push, he refused to come back to turn into Sylvester McCoy, and we had to make do with McCoy in a curly blonde wig and a BBC special effect.  Does that make the entire McCoy era not-official Doctor Who?  

Actually, anybody who's seen McCoy's first season would probably say 'yes'.

I think, in this case, to bring McGann back purely for a regeneration scene would be pure fanwank.

Jemble Fred

Bollocks, with respect. The Colin Baker was SEEN to change into McCoy, that's what matters. It would be no problem if they got a look-a-like in for McGann.

Fanwank nothing. I'm not even a Dr Who fan, I vaguely like it is all. But the show does have its own rules.

TotalNightmare

i think it is pretty much confirmed by 'official sources' that Mcgann is lined up to star in the first episode until he is called upon to 'regenerate'.

One rumour i heard was that Mcgann's Dr Who could be in the first 2 episodes before the change. I personally feel it wouldnt be right to start straight off the bat with a new Dr, there has to be that transitional phase that harks back to that 'out with the old, in with the new' feel of the old series.

Its interesting now that Moffat and Gatiss are aboard as writers to inquire about how the show will form.

Moffat, i think, wrote the Comic Relief Dr Who episode (or was it the Children In Need special) with Rowan Atkinson and such and Gatiss has written a few books and a radio version himself. But the books, i've been told, are pretty crappy and the radio one i know nothing about bar that it stars McGann, Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson.

So will it be a 'tongue in cheek' revival or something modern and punchy, thats pow to the max, thinks outside the box, goes supersize to the top and can spitball a few hot potatoes in the direction of the wind of change.......

Lord Spong

Fanwank nothing. I'm not even a Dr Who fan, I vaguely like it is all. But the show does have its own rules.

That's interesting.  On the Doctor Who forums the general feeling is that as far as the 'casual' fan is concerned Doctor Who = Tom Baker, Daleks and Jelly Babies, and any mention of regeneration, previous Doctors or pretty much anything else from the old series would send the new viewer running to ITV in a fit of continuity.

I'd love to see McGann come back for a regeneration scene, it would give me a nice tingly feeling inside, but I am a Doctor Who nerd.  Do the producers of the new show want to reference a ninety minute TV movie that was on eight years ago?  I think it more likely they'll want to start anew.

Paul McGann has said he would come back if asked though, so fingers crossed!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"Moffat, i think, wrote the Comic Relief Dr Who episode (or was it the Children In Need special) with Rowan Atkinson and such and Gatiss has written a few books and a radio version himself. But the books, i've been told, are pretty crappy and the radio one i know nothing about bar that it stars McGann, Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson.
I've read neither of them, but from what I've gathered, the Gatiss books are mixed: one was brilliant, and another was crap, but in an interview in DWM Gatiss admitted as much and said it was 'cos he was trying to squeeze it around doing the LoG under publisher's pressure or something.

Bear in mind he was also responsible for those Dr. Who Night 5-minute episodelettes, which betrayed a real love for the show; I also thought that the Rowan Atkinson spoof was excellent as well, so yay Moffat!

I don't like most of these suggestions above: sorry Cerys but George Irving looks too much of a baddy for me, and Ecclestone just looks too young.  But then so did Davison to me: I was brought up on Jon Pertwee and early Tom Baker.  It has to be someone in their late 40s / early 50s (one reason that David Warner may not be a good choice: apart from possibly being too-baddy-esque, he may also be too old).

Heh, perhaps this is another one of those signs of getting old: you know you're getting older when the Dr. Whos start looking younger... :-)

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Lord Spong"
That's interesting.  On the Doctor Who forums the general feeling is that as far as the 'casual' fan is concerned Doctor Who = Tom Baker, Daleks and Jelly Babies, and any mention of regeneration, previous Doctors or pretty much anything else from the old series would send the new viewer running to ITV in a fit of continuity.

I'm positively shocked - to not continue from the previous offering will definitelyt reduce this new Dr Who to 'inspired by the TV Series Doctor Who'  status. Without the proper hand over, it will have no link to any of the previous shows, and there will be no logical opportunity to refer to ANY past adventures. So what's the point?

I can sound very geeky on subjects like this, (you should hear me about the fact that Rimmer in Series 8 isn't the proper Arnold Rimmer, which he fucking isn't) but the fact of the matter is, A) I'm not really that bothered, and B) It's not fandom, it's simply a matter of logic in writing. As a writer, I appreciate how crucial it is not to renege on past output.

I'm sure Russell T Davies will want his Doctor Who to be a proper continuation. The utterly random show the fans seem to want (if what you say is true) would only relate to the Hartnell-McGann escapades in the same way that Vic & Bob's Randall & Hopkirk related to Pratt & Cope's.

But then, Vic & Bob's version was marginally better, so do what you like.

Lord Spong

I'm positively shocked - to not continue from the previous offering will definitelyt reduce this new Dr Who to 'inspired by the TV Series Doctor Who'  status. Without the proper hand over, it will have no link to any of the previous shows, and there will be no logical opportunity to refer to ANY past adventures. So what's the point?

To be fair, I think that all you need is the Doctor, the TARDIS and good stories.  Maybe the Daleks as well.  Anything else would just be a bonus.

TotalNightmare

I can sound very geeky on subjects like this, (you should hear me about the fact that Rimmer in Series 8 isn't the proper Arnold Rimmer, which he fucking isn't) but the fact of the matter is, A) I'm not really that bothered, and B) It's not fandom, it's simply a matter of logic in writing. As a writer, I appreciate how crucial it is not to renege on past output.

Tch, get over it... Rimmer is Rimmer is Rimmer is Rimmer... why do you think the shows had more Rimmer's than Lister... and he's had more sex!

Anyway Dr Who... erm... yea. Backs of sofas, eyes peepin thru fingers, the daleks...hmm, isnt it?

Jemble Fred

Rimmer may be Rimmer may be Rimmer, but, for instance, if a subsequent Red Dwarf scene referred back to Rimmerworld, then the current Rimmer would have absolutely no knowledge of the events, because he's completely re-created by nanobots or whatever. Plus, of course, he's had none of the character development that the Rimmer hologram went through in series 1-7.

Christ, will you just listen to us spouting this fucking anorak bullshit? I do hope no-one's reading this.

Well, okay, it's me spouting it.

elderford

Fuck me, it's all getting a bit Galaxy Quest isn't it:

Brandon Wheeger: I just wanted to tell you that I thought a lot about what you said.
Jason Nesmith: It's okay, now listen...
Brandon Wheeger: But I want you to know that I'm not a complete brain case, okay? I understand completely that it's just a TV show. I know there's no beryllium sphere...
Jason Nesmith: Hold it.
Brandon Wheeger: no digital conveyor, no ship...
Jason Nesmith: Stop for a second, stop. It's all real.
Brandon Wheeger: Oh my God, I knew it. I knew it! I knew it!

Lord Spong

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Rimmer may be Rimmer may be Rimmer, but, for instance, if a subsequent Red Dwarf scene referred back to Rimmerworld, then the current Rimmer would have absolutely no knowledge of the events, because he's completely re-created by nanobots or whatever. Plus, of course, he's had none of the character development that the Rimmer hologram went through in series 1-7.

Never mind the proper Rimmer.  Some of us think that season 8 isn't even proper Red Dwarf (but a shallow unfunny imitation)!!

Ronson

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Ronson""You may not realise it now Davros, but you're in a coma."
:-) :-)  It's a thought, though, isn't it?  He's certainly the right age for it.  Not quite sure he has the right certain something though.

king mob

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Ronson""You may not realise it now Davros, but you're in a coma."
:-) :-)  It's a thought, though, isn't it?  He's certainly the right age for it.  Not quite sure he has the right certain something though.

Hes not, he'd make a good head of U.N.I.T though.

This is getting very fanboyish innit?;)

Cerys

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"... sorry Cerys but George Irving looks too much of a baddy for me....

I shall be praying for your misguided soul....

Ambient Sheep

According to this on Digital Spy, Paul Cornell is on the writing team too.  Along with someone I've not heard of (but whose name rings a bell) called Rob Shearman as well.

Alberon

I'm not sure you do need a regeneration in the first episode. i think it's partly the reason the TV Movie sank (apart from being too American). The regeneration knocks the Doctor out of the story for too much of the film. Even without a regeneration the new series could be considered a continuation rather than a remake. Looking at all the people involved it will be a continuation, even if they don't explicity state it.

I think McGann will do a flashback, but I doubt they'll start with a regeneration. The cool thing is though, they could do it later in the series.

For instance, the Doctor can't remember clearly what happened when he last regenerated, then he and McGann's Doctor team up in a story that finishes in 8th Doctor regenerating.

PS I am fanwanking as I write this

king mob

Its scary, i get home & theres a copy of Pyramids of Mars on DVD sitting waiting for me.:)

Darrell

Quote from: "king mob"Its scary, i get home & theres a copy of Pyramids of Mars on DVD sitting waiting for me.:)

'Oh Mummy' is brilliant. I saw it premiered in November and it went down a storm.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Lord Spong"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Rimmer may be Rimmer may be Rimmer, but, for instance, if a subsequent Red Dwarf scene referred back to Rimmerworld, then the current Rimmer would have absolutely no knowledge of the events, because he's completely re-created by nanobots or whatever. Plus, of course, he's had none of the character development that the Rimmer hologram went through in series 1-7.

Never mind the proper Rimmer.  Some of us think that season 8 isn't even proper Red Dwarf (but a shallow unfunny imitation)!!

Why does it seem i am the only person who likes Red Dwarf 8... yes i know it has some problems, but it also has some of the best comedy lines in the series in such a long time.

I am not a fan boy geek (ALL THAT RIMMER BULLSHIT...honestly, there is that comedy status quo arguement i could go into but i fucking won't) but i know what is funny and... despite the sci fi bullshit dripped over from series 7...is genuinely a laugh producing show...

Ahhh, well i like it.

JEMBLE TAPES 'MAD ABOUT ALICE'  FOR KEEPS!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "phillippa_maul"Mind you I thought he'd be a good Ford Prefect in HHGTTG and that didn't happen...

Martin Freeman should be alright as Ford Prefect, shouldn't he?

I really hope Bill Nighy gets to be the Doc. Either him or Mark E. Smith, like wot elderford said.

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"According to this on Digital Spy, Paul Cornell is on the writing team too.  Along with someone I've not heard of (but whose name rings a bell) called Rob Shearman as well.

Rob Sherman has wrote the best of the Who Audio Adventures.  For me he's the best Who writer at the mo.  Check out Chimes Of Midnight and The Holy Terror.

Gazeuse

But then, Vic & Bob's version was marginally better, so do what you like.

OUTSIDE NOW!!!

How can you say that??? The original series was much better...It wins on the theme music alone.

I used to think you knew your stuff!!!

Jemble Fred

I'm a huge fan of the original series, got most of them on tape. But they're all basically the same plot - there's a mystery which turns out to be a couple of old blokes in hats pulling strings, Kenneth Cope blows something over and the Police arrive.

As for the remake, apart from anything else, it was done with enormous love and respect for the original, David Arnold's theme music is his best ever work, the special effects were amazing, it boasted simply the best cast ever assembled by the BBC, it was shockingly funny and the plots could take you anywhere. Like Buffy but better. The soundtrack album alone makes the show a real classic.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I'm a huge fan of the original series, got most of them on tape. But they're all basically the same plot - there's a mystery which turns out to be a couple of old blokes in hats pulling strings, Kenneth Cope blows something over and the Police arrive.

As for the remake, apart from anything else, it was done with enormous love and respect for the original, David Arnold's theme music is his best ever work, the special effects were amazing, it boasted simply the best cast ever assembled by the BBC, it was shockingly funny and the plots could take you anywhere. Like Buffy but better. The soundtrack album alone makes the show a real classic.

I love Vic and Bob, but I just couldn't get on with the new series. The original oozed atmosphere which is why I loved it so much. Of course the f/x weren't as good because it was made such a long time ago, but on the plus point, the 'look' of the old film is absolutely beautiful.

Dave Arnold's music could never come close to the original, because the original is quite simply a stunning piece of work. The way in which the incidental music is drawn from the theme and instantly evokes the mood of the action is very well done.

Pratt and Cope were fabulous together and I can't agree with you about  the plots of the original...I think they had quite an adventurous scope. The only thing I can think of that is a bit repetitive is the way that poor old Jeff gets duffed up several times in each episode.

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Like Buffy but better.

I was agreeing with you and was totally on your side till you said that.  Now I'm going over to the other side.  You deserve never to have any mates or loved ones for saying Randall and Hopkirk 2000 was better than Buffy.

Kingboy_D

Eddie Izzard as the Dr just seems to... obvious. Don't know if anyone else has brought this up (not had time to read whole thread) but rumour has it that they wanted Billie Piper as the assistant. That's Bille Piper - "100% pure pop"