Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Speed Dating - Musical Chairs for Grown-Ups

Started by Lt Plonker, March 04, 2004, 10:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lt Plonker

"Statistically, I should meet at least one girl interested in me."

That was the appeal I think. The picture of David Brent on the poster didn't make me feel any better, but sod it. I was hungry for something and it wasn't another packet of Square crisps.

There were 26 girls, and in excess of 30 guys. I was third in the room and latched on to a group of guys to hang-out with, as my two chums, who had agreed to go with me, had abandoned and/or laughed at me. It was, in essence, a game of organised musical chairs. The girls stayed at their tables and the guys moved around every 3 minutes. You'd jot down the person's name and tick YES or NO, and if the corresponding person also ticked YES, then they send off email notifications.

I met a variety of  girls  - some of them were gorgeous, some were pretty, some were lovely and friendly, some were drabs, some gave the impression that they couldn't be arsed to talk to the ugly guy with the specs and where was that gorgeous hunk I saw earlier?

I was a rubbish conversationalist. Utterly awful. Same old, same old with me - what are you studying? Where do you come from? Having a good time tonight? *Awkward silence* BZZZZZZZ. Is that it?

One girl got quite excited when I, not only told her that Dogtanian was my favourite childrens TV theme tune but then brandeshed my big, fluffy Chipmunk keyring when she said that the Rescue Ranger's Theme was her favourite. Tick

One girl was from my home town and was just lovely. Tick

One girl was obviously frustrated by my lack of social skills, but laughed heartily at some of my jokes. Tick

One girl appeared completely lifeless through our 'date' and asked me to draw her. She said she'd love to do something like animation. Tick Then I found out that she'd asked the guy before me, out directly. Cross

It was fun and nice to get out and meet some actual girls but I feel a bit of an idiot to be honest. The guys there were all big and hunky and there was me, short, awkward and charcoal smudged on my jumper. Fish out of water again. I couldn't compete. I was nervous as hell, it showed and I was rubbish to talk to. And it was fucking exhausting.

And as much as I'd like to say that what I'm about to type is for comedic effect, I haven't had any matches yet.

I feel like Charlie Brown.

Anyone had any luck on these things? I wouldn't recommend it. The only good thing about it is that, having spent my entire life dateless, I now have 26 under my belt, but it feels dirty.

Sorry the post is so big.

Purple Tentacle

Honestly and truly matey, stop feeling so awkward about your social skills!

Speaking as someone who's met you, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Trust me, I've met plenty of boring people, and you are definitely not one of them, you're funny and enthusiastic and bloody nice.

Obviously SAYING "have better self-esteem" is all very easy, but when you're sitting down in the near future with a lovely lady in your arms*, you'll be wondering what you were worrying about all this time.

Until she rips out your heart like all women tend to do.

DonkeyRods

Did you do this in Bournemouth, plonker?

I reckon something like this could be great 'practice', if you will, for dating. You get to speak to loads of women, so try and be different each time, see what works and what doesn't, experiment a little. I bet after those short 26 your already a bit more comfortable in them romance situations.

I salute your bravery, sir.

Lt Plonker

I suppose that I ought to mention that it was a charity event at the University. I didn't pay £50 to meet 47 year old ladies or anything. Thank goodness I didn't pay £50.

Thanks, PT. :)

splattermac

:)

weren't you in a strip club last time?

I've visions of your next thread being some sort of S&M dungeon adventure,

see you there,

- - -

I nearly went on a speed dating night with a woman from work for a laugh, then I saw the cost, plus the performance element of sitting down and wooing apathetic women was as terrifying as actually wooing an enthusiastic one, I need my space, this thread is putting pressure on me, I'm sorry but I can't commit.

All these things will make you more interesting because you have a story to tell, life experiences and all, stick to obsessive masturbation, work on your myopia.

And that concludes my 'words of advice for young people'

butnut

I'd only do this if I got to sit in the chair and the women had to woo me. Bitches - it's about time they did some of the chasing.

Anyway, where I live in SW London, there's so many cocky/affluent/confident/wealthy fuckers, that none of the women would notice me. Especially as I'm a virtual dwarf at 5'10" these days.

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "splattermac"And that concludes my 'words of advice for young people'

"Who wants to be the richest guy in some cemetary? Not much left to spend it on, eh, Gramps?"

; )

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "butnut"Anyway, where I live in SW London, there's so many cocky/affluent/confident/wealthy fuckers, that none of the women would notice me. Especially as I'm a virtual dwarf at 5'10" these days.

Fickle are'nt they? I'm a scruffy bastard, basically, but bought new jeans and had the quarterly haircut and shaved all in the same week (mother would'nt recognize me) and suddenly I'm not invisible on the tube anymore.
Watch as the jeans become fucked and the follicular assault gets underway, and I slowly return to transparency...

I went to one in London a few weeks ago and bizarrely had 8 matches... even had a coupld of dates as a result...

...mind you none of them came to anything, although thats 2 dates more than I would've got if I hadnt gone.

From the outside it seems like a tacky way to meet people, but I found it a really fun evening, regardless of the dating side of it. When else do you ever get the change to meet 20+ people, albeit quickly, in one evening... unless you're the Queen shaking the hands of players at the start of the cup final.

What I find amusing are all the variations on offer... Lock n Key partys, and this one http://www.guardian.co.uk/editor/story/0,12900,1093007,00.html, silent speed dating.. Which just sounds dumb.

(sorry)

Lord Spong

Fucking hell.  I wouldn't even have had the nerve to go to one of these things in the first place.  I would have talked myself out of it, "Of course they won't be interested in you!!", as soon as the idea came into my head.  

It sounds like an exercise in humiliation to me.  Still, fair play to you I say.