Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:48:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best TOTP appearances

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, November 13, 2005, 11:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Despite it's shitness now there must have been some great appearances in the past. What are your favourites? I always liked Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit one when they generally just arsed around - Kurt doing a Morrissey impression and Krist and Dave just flailing there arms around idiotically. A shit quality vid of the appearance is here - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6754440748827430771&q=nirvana
So which appearances stick out for you?

Derek Trucks

I'll say it before countless others do.  Rod Stewart & The Faces doing Maggie May.  John Peel miming ukelele, an impromptu football kickabout, it's got everything.

23 Daves

The KLF doing "3AM Eternal" always stands out for me - in fact, most of the KLF's appearances are legendary.

And... The Sweet doing "Blockbuster" - priceless in ways I simply cannot explain.  "We just haven't a clue what to... agh... ah-ho!".

I always enjoyed The Wedding Present's utterly confused, half-arsed performances as well, where they looked as if they were rehearsing down the pub.  David Gedge giggling at a private joke when he should have been miming and such.

phes

One that really sticks in my mind is 'These Animal Men' from about 1994. They played 'Speed King'  and all four looked suitably pale, gaunt and sweaty as they gurned their way through a homage to the powdery stuff.

alan strang

Jethro Tull miming 'The Witches Promise' - with Ian Anderson pulling the most ungodly faces throughout.

Nigel Planer as 'Neil' doing 'Hole In My Shoe' - all three appearences.

The Four Bucketeers from Tiswas performing 'The Bucket Of Water Song', having been told by the BBC that they weren't allowed to throw water on the audience - so they ended up throwing buckets of tinsel glitter instead.

Kirsty MacColl & The Pogues' 'Fairytale Of New York'  - MacColl being forced to compromise with the lyrics and sing "Happy Christmas, you ass" instead of "Happy Christmas your arse" (but drawing attention to it by giving her own heavily pregnant arse/ass a quick pat at that exact moment).

And, yes, Rod, The Faces and Peel playing silly buggers.

TJ

Quote from: "phes"One that really sticks in my mind is 'These Animal Men' from about 1994. They played 'Speed King'  and all four looked suitably pale, gaunt and sweaty as they gurned their way through a homage to the powdery stuff.

I thought they did 'This Is The Sound Of Youth'?

nuttyxander

That Showaddywaddy appearance with them all in black and white in alternating shots.

And the series of Pulp appearances that culminated in Jarvis wearing a big dirty mac then holding it out to one side to reveal a message.

phes

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "phes"One that really sticks in my mind is 'These Animal Men' from about 1994. They played 'Speed King'  and all four looked suitably pale, gaunt and sweaty as they gurned their way through a homage to the powdery stuff.

I thought they did 'This Is The Sound Of Youth'?

I don't think so. But it has got me thinking that it could have been 'Too Sussed?'.

Schlippy

"We'd like to stop playing this rubbish and dedicate a song to the Cream..."

DrJ

Quote from: "Schlippy""We'd like to stop playing this rubbish and dedicate a song to the Cream..."

Wasn't that Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show?

phes

Suede: Stay together.

Bernard Butler kicked arse.

Schlippy

Quote from: "DrJ"Wasn't that Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show?
Yeah, you're absolutely right, it's just they repeat it on TOTP2 all the time so I kinda thought, y'know...

fbb bastard

ian dury and the blockheads "hit me with your rhythm stick".all suited and booted and wonderfully out of place

NoSleep

Robert Wyatt doing I'm A Believer in a wheelchair. Twice.
Caravan performing If I had To Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You.

NoSleep

Keith Tippett playing with King Crimson on Catfood.

Neil

Quote from: "NoSleep"Robert Wyatt doing I'm A Believer in a wheelchair. Twice.

Yes!  Was just thinking about that the other day due to the Sun Ra thread.  Amazing stuff.  Didn't know he'd done it twice though, I've only seen that appearance with Nick Mason on drums.  IIRC it was missing believed wiped but discovered when they made that documentary on him.  I've got an mpeg of the TOTP2 broadcast somewhere.

LadyDay

I'd go with Nirvana and the Faces but for sheer comedy value Dexy's Midnight Runners playing Jackie Wilson while the screen behind showed a picture of Jocky Wilson the darts player.

Goldentony

the kursaal flyers doing 'little does she know' and soft cell doing say hello wave goodbye seem to stick out for me.

Spackler

The Orb doing "Toxygene" both spinning round in big space console roundabout things. When they finished, it cut to Ardal O'Hanlan saying "How do they make all those lovery noises" in the style of Dougal McGuire.

the hum

Killing Joke playing 'Millenium' in 1994.  Jaz Coleman, as I recall, had his orange boiler suit on.

Quote from: "Spackler"The Orb doing "Toxygene" both spinning round in big space console roundabout things. When they finished, it cut to Ardal O'Hanlan saying "How do they make all those lovery noises" in the style of Dougal McGuire.

Not as great as watching them play chess during their 'Blue Room' appearance!

kidsick5000

Nirvana-more for the reaction of the presenter afterwards, very disapproving.

Faith No More-Mike Pattons BJ mime

And for some reason, an episode that culminated in a performance of Doop by Doop. It had charlston style dancers in short flapper skirts. One cameraman clearly enjoying his job too much that episode. It was more the up-skirt half hour.

Morrisfan82

Perhaps a predictable choice, but I've still got a fondness for Beck doing Loser in 1994. Not so much for the hastily-assembled backing band of old men, but for the audience going wild over Beck's inept breakdancing interlude.

Daaaaaaan

Manic Street Preachers-Faster. It's just hillarious, it's everything Top of The Pops isn't, James with his balaclava on with two ladyboys on eitherside and fire rising up around the stage. Then you see the audience and they look really confused apart from Vic & Bob who appear to be dancing to this extremely aggresive song as if it was a Bucks Fizz number.

That performance is on The Holy Bible Special Re-Issue edition DVD which is well worth the purchase.

ninestonecreature

Whatever you think of the band, Travis's live recreation of the food fight from their 'Sing' video was hugely entertaining and brilliantly executed.

alan strang

Jasper Carrott doing 'Funky Moped' in 1975 when it became a hit (albeit because of its B-side, the 'Magic Roundabout' routine). Carrott wore a great big white flared suit in an attempt to send up a 'rock star' persona. He later reckoned "They had to turn on taped applause at the end".

Peking O

The Shamen doing a live version of Ebeneezer Goode, during a brief period when all vocals had to be live. I remember having an expletive-filled conversation with a rep from their distributor the day after, with most of his bile aimed at the TOTP producers. Strangely, it didn't seem to harm the single that much if I remember correctly.

Make me smile

Quote from: "Daaaaaaan"Manic Street Preachers-Faster. It's just hillarious, it's everything Top of The Pops isn't, James with his balaclava on with two ladyboys on eitherside and fire rising up around the stage. Then you see the audience and they look really confused apart from Vic & Bob who appear to be dancing to this extremely aggresive song as if it was a Bucks Fizz number.

That performance is on The Holy Bible Special Re-Issue edition DVD which is well worth the purchase.

Bah beaten to it. Twas truly an awesome performance. Didn't it get a record number of complaints for TOTP or something?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "Daaaaaaan"Manic Street Preachers-Faster.

Yes I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that.  TOTP was going through something of a 'good' phase in the mid-90's.  Primal Scream getting banned for life because they refused to go somewhere as uncool as Luton airport - Reef getting told off for inviting the crowd on stage - Menswear being the first unsigned band to appear (and laughable it was too).

And from the vaults, I like the clip of Legs & Co. dancing to 'I Fought The Law' because The Clash didn't turn up.  And Justin Sullivan having to put tape over the word 'bastards' on his t-shirt.

Daaaaaaan

Ha, Menswear. They were doomed from the start, I believe they played a gig where the singer was nervous he literally emptied his waste matter on stage.