Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vote in the first annual Tumbleweed Awards, win a Nathan Barley DVD, and download a fabbo GLR Show

Started by Neil, November 14, 2005, 10:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Registrations are now reopened!

Interesting question about releasing it straight to DVD, Guest.  There are a load of things I wonder about that show actually, it's like a puzzle that I just can't figure out.  I don't understand how it went so far wrong. I also want to know if there's any truth in the rumour that they made two pilots.  And what in the name of fuck made them use that terrible "naturalistic acting"?  I have only just learnt what that is, that's clearly part of the reason Barley seemed so Brentish.  God, it's just horrible to watch these shrugging cunts.  

I remember why I asked about that redubbed episode now, on our mailing list someone passed on reviews of the DVD from proper DVD review sites....and they lapped it up!  I dunno, I sometimes wonder if it's just me.  I never understood the fuss over The Leauge Of Gents or Lucas & Walliams either.

akshav

pingu, geek pie and the way they answered the intercom at the magazine, the rest was funny too, and i'm going to rewatch it, since i haven't watched it in seven or so months, all i know of morris is brass eye and the dog walker thing, i don't apologize for liking it, its a fuck of a lot better than life in film, or extras for that matter, you all, who run this site, just know the ouvre morre so you can't empathize anymore or don't want to with people that don't

oh well.  

eventually you'll like something morris does again, so this IT show, its not out yet eh?

canadian fan

Neil

Yeah, but you fucking love Balls Of Steel.  Have you got ITV4?  You could have been watching an extremely funny episode of Larry Sanders.

Competition is now closed, please don't send any more emails.  We'll pick the winners at random tomorrow and notify them by email.  Thanks to everyone who took part, please also try to vote in the Tumbleweed awards if you've not already done so.  Thanks also to the people who've done this so far.

Slackboy

I really liked the first few BoSs until it tailed off at the end, but I liked NB a hell of a lot more than that. As for LS I've been watching those thanks to TTT and they haven't made me laugh once. It's good stuff but it's dated, and I'm hoping that it picks up soon like Seinfeld did at the end of season four.

Neil

No, sorry, there's just far too much bait there.  If I start nibbling at it I'll only end up being sick.

Slackboy

I was hoping that you wouldn't react to it actually, I haven't got the energy to argue anything out tonight. Can you just assume that I meant it please? Cheers.

thehighyeast

does anyone know where I can get me mits on a transcript of 'rise of the idiots'?

Daaaaaaan

Yeah, if you watch the episode, Dan Ashcroft speaks the words and if you get some pen and or paper and or a computer with or without a modem, you can type and or write the spoken words and then there you have it, a transcript.

In other words, no.

Neil

Actually, I asked that myself recently and Shade kindly typed it up...it's from memory though so not 100% accurate.  link

Slackboy

Quote from: "thehighyeast"does anyone know where I can get me mits on a transcript of 'rise of the idiots'?
Do you mean a full version of the article? If it existed then I'd expect it to be a dvd extra, and if not then it probably doesn't exist. If it does exist and isn't on the dvd then this place would be a good place to look for it, but I don't think anyone here knows where it is.

Anonymous

any thoughts on those two shows, is the actor who played Nathan up tp anything?
i think a lot of the reason the admins of this site are so critical of current morris stuff or at least NB is maybe the influence Morris had on later tv specifically The Daily Show.  and then it seems NB was a step backward with a poor choice of satire, again, nothing tired bye

rubbish

oh dear, who ever wrote the last load of rubbish has too much time on their hands, they are probably dead now.  and why not?

rubbish

oh dear, who ever wrote the last load of rubbish has too much time on their hands, they are probably dead now.  and why not?

TJ

Quote from: "rubbish"oh dear, who ever wrote the last load of rubbish has too much time on their hands

Says a double-poster.

poor fool

Apologies if this has already been asked, but Neil - do you honestly not know who Banksy is? Serious question.

Neil

I know of him, but I don't know his work. I've just heard people talking about him on here.  Why, is he a common reference point, or ridiculously famous or something?

poor fool

I would have said so, yeah. Really quite well known. It's interesting because I wonder if there's a cultural resonance to NB that you may be completely missing if you don't know the reference points, if you see what I mean. It might help explain why you didn't find it funny.

slim

I know the reference points well and I think the targets were valid but I don't think it was funny in more than a few odd places, which, over six episodes, isn't enough for me.

Catalogue Trousers

Also, of course, Banksy is a self-important knob who thinks that he's rather more clever and daring than he in fact is. Molotov-throwing teddy bears - my, how rebellious and iconoclastic you are, Mr Banks. Have another commission.

Catalogue Trousers

Slackboy wrote:

QuoteI really liked the first few BoSs until it tailed off at the end

Ahh. It's JUST NOT AS FUNNY AS IT USED TO BE, is it?...

poor fool

Quote from: "Catalogue Trousers"Also, of course, Banksy is a self-important knob who thinks that he's rather more clever and daring than he in fact is. Molotov-throwing teddy bears - my, how rebellious and iconoclastic you are, Mr Banks. Have another commission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4748063.stm

mayer

Not that daring that, on the Palestinian side of the seperation barrier. Apparently some Palestinians weren't best pleased, If I recall correctly at the time, upset that he was making pretty what made their lives miserable. I can't find the quote unfortunately.

If he was really daring he'd have done it on the Israeli side, and painted something more overtly political.

Oscar

Quote from: "poor fool"I would have said so, yeah. Really quite well known. It's interesting because I wonder if there's a cultural resonance to NB that you may be completely missing if you don't know the reference points, if you see what I mean. It might help explain why you didn't find it funny.

Poor Fool, if you've got a few minutes, could you let me know what these reference points are (or slim or anyone who's feeling kind). I've watched NB and know a little about Banksy, but apparently not enough to get this link.
Thanks

poor fool

Quote from: "mayer"Not that daring that, on the Palestinian side of the seperation barrier. Apparently some Palestinians weren't best pleased, If I recall correctly at the time, upset that he was making pretty what made their lives miserable. I can't find the quote unfortunately.

If he was really daring he'd have done it on the Israeli side, and painted something more overtly political.

Actually, I found it quite witty and a little moving, as with most of his best stuff.
What's the most daring thing you've ever done, then? You seem to be the authority.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "poor fool"What's the most daring thing you've ever done, then? You seem to be the authority.

Go away you childish bastard.

poor fool

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Go away you childish bastard.

Fuck you, you miserable shit.

Catalogue Trousers