Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vote in the first annual Tumbleweed Awards, win a Nathan Barley DVD, and download a fabbo GLR Show

Started by Neil, November 14, 2005, 10:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: "Slackbopy"I'd think I'd rather be fucking than writing this. And playing football or writing poetry seem like good ways to increase my chances of fucking sometime in the near future, while this doesn't.

I'd rather you were off fucking too, Slackboy.  Many a time I've thought to myself that you really should be off fucking.

alan strang

I was actually in Hoxton the other day. I counted no fewer than none of these so-called "Nathan" "Barleys". Maybe I'm not taking a big-enough dose of the required "Talkback Talcum"...

There were lots of barber shops though - they got that bit right.

Slackboy

alan: Maybe NB got rid of them all. Maybe they all turned into good people after watching it and are out doing charity work or something like that.

Neil: Well at least we agree on something.

Janek's Little Black Box

Quote from: "Slackboy"alan: Maybe NB got rid of them all. Maybe they all turned into good people after watching it and are out doing charity work or something like that.
Yes, let's hope so! I think that's a nice place for me to sign off and end my massively dissapointing internet forum career. I think it started well, but then I got cockey and emotional and it was all downhill from there.

It must be absolutely terrible being a journalist with your name and photograph next to your writing all the time. What if you read it back and think, 'This isn't good as I originally thought, instead this is a bit crap.' as I just have? At least on here it's anonymous. I suppose that's where the Talkback Talcum really comes in handy, such a dear friend.

bgbors

Quote from: "alan strang"Maybe I'm not taking a big-enough dose of the required "Talkback Talcum"...

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"I suppose that's where the Talkback Talcum really comes in handy

What the bloody hell are they talking back about?

Slackboy

I think they're having a go at Talkback productions and the worldview of the people who work for it. 'Talcum' probably means the old cunt-dust so it's an attack based on the hypocrisy of the people that made NB.

Janek: Just start posting under a different name, the only people who will know are the mods and they probably won't tell anyone about it anyway.

Edit: I should add that I've never actually done this myself yet in case anyone is thinking that. And besides, you could probably tell it was me anyway couldn't you? And Janek? As for the reading stuff back with regret that's just par for the course on forums and life in general. It's a good thing really, so don't be so hard on yourself.

mayer

Quote from: "Slackboy"
Janek: Just start posting under a different name, the only people who will know are the mods and they probably won't tell anyone about it anyway.

I've modded a couple of my friend's bands phpBB2 forums in my time, and they had very very little traffic compared to this place. I assure you the effort involved to work out who has multiple accounts, unless they were hacking or something equally disruptive, is something that no-one would ever be arsed to do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "bgbors"
Quote from: "alan strang"Maybe I'm not taking a big-enough dose of the required "Talkback Talcum"...

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"I suppose that's where the Talkback Talcum really comes in handy

What the bloody hell are they talking back about?

Cocaine?

Janek's Little Black Box

Quote from: "Slackboy"And Janek? As for the reading stuff back with regret that's just par for the course on forums and life in general. It's a good thing really, so don't be so hard on yourself.
That's appreciated, thanks. But I can't go on. Spending ages writing something you honestly believe is decent then reading it back and realising it's just wank is too depressing for me. If I do think of anything else to say I will post it though.
No, I'll write it, wait for a week, read it back, and if I still think it's worth saying - then I'll post it.

Janek's Little Black Box

Quote from: "Anonymous"Stick to your guns man and stop being such a wimp!
I believe the ability to change your mind is a strength rather than a weakness. I also believe my posts were shit. What's the point in sticking to your guns if they don't work?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Janek's Little Black Box"
Quote from: "Anonymous"Stick to your guns man and stop being such a wimp!
I believe the ability to change your mind is a strength rather than a weakness.

That's a fucking rare attitude!

doos

Quote from: "Anonymous"Well I thought your posts were engaging and added to the debate.
Why didn't you say so earlier? They might not be running away like a cuckolded cocksucker.

Perez

Quote from: "alan strang"I was actually in Hoxton the other day. I counted no fewer than none of these so-called "Nathan" "Barleys".

Well they all must have moved to Manchester then because I work in a building full of them.

TJ

Quote from: "alan strang"I was actually in Hoxton the other day. I counted no fewer than none of these so-called "Nathan" "Barleys". Maybe I'm not taking a big-enough dose of the required "Talkback Talcum"...

thatz cuz u r nathan barleycornz innit

bex

You don't have to be Chris Morris to know that all these so called 'Nathan Barleys' are just chavs who happen to live in Hoxton that's all. Nathan Barley was just Peep Show for chavs, and Peep Show was just Curb Your Enthusiasm for a load of middle class chavs who think they like The Office, and Curb Your Enthusiasm was awful as well but it wasn't as bad as The Office, that was just a load of car adverts strung together and called a series and so all these advertising gits and Nathan Barleys and middle class chavs lapped it up because they somehow think that naturalism is clever whereas actually if you took a camcorder and pointed it at anywhere in Britain for three hours it would be just as funny as comedy is now, ie not bloody funny at all. You should see the kind of gits who buy the Office DVDS, peep show, nighty night, and now Nathan Barley, thinking they're part of a revolution or something. You don't have to be Ricky Gervais to know that these chavs are just taking the dvd home and throwing it straight in the BIN! But the irony is that that's exactly what they SHOULD be doing! I'm sure there used to be decent shows being made, now they're all just crap.

Slackboy

Quote from: "TJ"thatz cuz u r nathan barleycornz innit
See sarahd? I told you they kept repeating themselves.

TJ

Quote from: "TJ"thatz cuz u r nathan barleycornz innit
See sarahd? I told you they kept repeating themselves.

Not everybody's out to 'get' you, you know.

sarahd

Neil: Apologies if this is explained elsewhere, but what's going on with the sign-ups now? Are people allowed to join CC and GD now or are there still too many members, and if so why not just delete everyone who hasn't posted within the last two years to make space? Is it related to the hacking attempts that you had to deal with a while back?
Hmm, no answer as yet... Seems to me Janek's, that although you make a pretty good point about websites being about good debate you may have chosen the wrong one to make it about...

Anonymous

Quotein the hands of those who appreciate the incredible oppurtunity that this technology presents us with, forum discussions become the ultimate evolution of true debate

QuoteDon't make me laugh

annebel

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quotein the hands of those who appreciate the incredible oppurtunity that this technology presents us with, forum discussions become the ultimate evolution of true debate

QuoteDon't make me laugh
I really have to say that you lot have completely misunderstood the points Janek's Little Black Box was trying to make, no wonder he's buggered off.
Neil, you didn't really take it literally did you? Tell me you didn't. I mean about cookdandbombd being the sole target of Nathan Barley? Bloody hell, man, next thing you'll be telling me you can't believe Will Self actually thinks Chris Morris is God. Have you people never heard of playing devils advocate to make a point? Those posts made more sense to me than anything I've read in the past year or so – you'd have to be a bloody idiot to take literally the things you seem to have done. Anyway, he wasn't referring to critisism online but conversation online and the possibilities of developing it beyond what it is in the real world, and how some people, including Morris, may feel threatened by that, i.e. any environment where those rules which they have honed over the years to get what they want, an interview where they make someone they disagree with look stupid or trick someone else into saying things that don't make sense for example, apply less, or not at all.
And Slackboy, far from actually being offended or changing his mind, he probably just rolled his eyes and thought oh dear they're not actually as intelligent as I thought, I think I might be wasting my time after all and so placated any more stupid questions for the sake of getting out of the kind of pathetic non-argument he described in his posts.
It's great fun picking apart everything you don't like or do like, I can understand that, as someone said, a good hobby, but you never actually make any points do you?  You don't want to. Like that Some Of The Corpses Are Amusing, it's all correct but what possible point does it make that everyone doesn't know already? You can't do that because to do so would mean the end of the ride. I'm sorry to be like this but, you know, that's what's so bloody frustrating about this site and others like it. You all pretend to want well written stuff dealing why a particular show didn't work or whatever, and when something approaching it actually comes along that as well as this makes points a little more complicated than 'They're just like Reeves and Mortimer, the industry and media know that though...' all you can do is behave like such a bunch of dimwits that they immediately piss off again, and I can't say I blame them, frankly. Maybe it's because you talk and talk all the time, you're all incapable of listening...

TJ

Perez

But why did Janek capitulate so easily ? He made some great points but as soon as someone made a counterpoint he did not have the conviction to back himself up. If you are going to take a stance and play devils advocate it's not a good idea to just drop it at the first hint of disagreement. Then one of this friends comes on and ticks everybody off, if he's not got the stomach for it then I can fully understand why he doesn't want to bother.

annebel

Quote from: "Perez"But why did Janek capitulate so easily ? He made some great points but as soon as someone made a counterpoint he did not have the conviction to back himself up. If you are going to take a stance and play devils advocate it's not a good idea to just drop it at the first hint of disagreement. Then one of this friends comes on and ticks everybody off, if he's not got the stomach for it then I can fully understand why he doesn't want to bother.
Yeah, I see what you mean but all the same it just seemed like a bit of a sad proof of what he was talking about, you know? Conversation rather than debate. If what you're talking about is trying to evolve the debating process to exclude certain things maybe it's best to avoid further contribution if you feel that's what's happening, or dominating or whatever. Maybe that is a bit hypocritical of him. I'm honestly sorry if I upset anyone, however. I'm not one of his mates though. If it is a he.

Anonymous

Sorry if you aren't one of his mates but it just seemed that you had a personal understanding of the points he was trying to make, but maybe, like me you were being presumptuous.

And as regards 'he', if you look back at your post you regard 'him' as a 'he', but maybe, like me you were being presumptuous.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Anonymous"oh shut up.

Yeah, lets get back to the Tumbleweeds, how many awards do you think Ricky will win?