Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your opinion on Robbie

Started by rjd2, November 17, 2005, 08:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

He's an egotistical overrated useless gimp who really should go away.
107 (68.2%)
I'm not his biggest fan but I like some of his stuff and besides there is much worse pop music out their at the moment.
50 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 157

Voting closed: November 17, 2005, 08:09:42 PM

Brutus Beefcake

He needs to fuck off and die.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAre we gonna have sex (yes)

Strong sentiment from someone that gets constant rumours and whispers in the press regarding his sexual appetite/tastes.

Are we gonna have sex (it depends how and with who)

actwithoutwords

QuoteThe R.U.D.E.B.O.X. up yer jacksy, split yer kecks sing a song of semtex, pocket full of durex body full of mandrex
Are we gonna have sex (yes)

given rudebox clearly refers to taking it up the arse, this song as a whole is presumably a not very thinly veiled way of him getting the whole gay thing out of his system, while leaving it ambiguous enough not to count as an actual confession. that line about doing stuff with the sheriffs daughter feels a bit tacked on.
whereas, from that quote above i'm getting quite a whiff sorry of him having sex with another guy. the word kecks doesnt tend to be used for female underwear no?

chand

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"
QuoteThe R.U.D.E.B.O.X. up yer jacksy, split yer kecks sing a song of semtex, pocket full of durex body full of mandrex

Heheh.

These always look worse on paper. I doubt I'll ever hear it, but good luck to him with lyrics like these.

I'd say that this actually looks better written down than when Williams 'raps' it. At least this way you can read in the voice of a different rapper, rather than Williams' dreadful attempt to sound cheeky. It sounds as bad as when did that rap about sodomy on 'Kids', except stretched out over a whole song.

Borboski

This man is the shits, I'm so glad I never come across his shite, or better still, nobheads claiming that he's a "great entertainer", or "well fit".  One of the few perks of getting older.

Marvin

God that looks awful. Worryingly Pet Shop Boys are involved in some tracks on his new album.

Ciarán2

I find Robbie Williams quite interesting, he's one of those celebs I'd like to meet. Not because I'd like to punch him,no. I quite like him. He can be annoying though. I bloody hate that "Let Me Entertain You", but I thought his last album was good, and I'm looking forward to the new one.

Oh there was a newspaper headline recently, something like "Robbie Says: I'll Never Marry Because I Love So Many Laydeez". Nice attempt to sidestep the gay issue there, but ultimately doomed to fail I think.

DJ One Record

Quote from: "Marvin."God that looks awful. Worryingly Pet Shop Boys are involved in some tracks on his new album.

That's nothing new though - Neil Tennant did backing vocals for "No Regrets".

Boing

He's so obviously fucking GAY,I mean he thinks he's Nobby Jones walking around in leopard print THONGS,he SOUNDS gay,I mean he surrounds himself with laddish behaviour and women,I mean his SONGS have a GAY connotation,ie,they're GAY.I mean in ten years time his career will be down the pan and he'll report a frottager to the police and run to the public toilet in LA and wait for them to turn up,dick in hand.I mean BE ORIGINAL YOU CUNT!

Ciarán2

Quote from: "DJ One Record"
Quote from: "Marvin."God that looks awful. Worryingly Pet Shop Boys are involved in some tracks on his new album.

That's nothing new though - Neil Tennant did backing vocals for "No Regrets".

And "One In A Million" from "Very" was written with Take That in mind - especially Robbie, I think.

Whirlybird

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Whirlybird"
Quote from: "Ciarán"I find Robbie Williams quite interesting, he's one of those celebs I'd like to meet. Not because I'd like to punch him,no. I quite like him. He can be annoying though. I bloody hate that "Let Me Entertain You", but I thought his last album was good, and I'm looking forward to the new one.

Oh there was a newspaper headline recently, something like "Robbie Says: I'll Never Marry Because I Love So Many Laydeez". Nice attempt to sidestep the gay issue there, but ultimately doomed to fail I think.

Oh, you're just taking the pish, obviously.   Posting Kylie, Jason and Shakira to that other thread is bad enough, but pretending that you're "looking forward" to Robbie Williams' new one...I mean, come on.  Ever heard of the internet?  You have the greatest resource for finding new music at the tips of your fingers, and you're "looking forward" to a new Robbie Williams record?   Yeah.  Right.

Ah you've seen through my ruse.

You know there are people in the world who like pop music. Have you ever heard of the internet?

Whirlybird

Ciarán2

Quote from: "Whirlybird"Ever hear of inverted snobbery?  Noone over the age of 12  (mentally/physically) is 'looking forward to the new Robbie Williams record'.   If you truly are, then you've simply not heard enough music in your life-time.  Noone over the age of 12 gives a tuppeny toss about Robbie Williams and his piss-poor attempts at making music.

(Considers posting a justification of liking for pop music. Realises life is too short.)

Sorry.

Whirlybird

Ciarán2

I actually started to post a defence but realised what a pointless "debate" it would be. You clearly consider certain things beyond the pale, whereas I don't. You call me "pompous" (and maybe I am), and assume that I ignored your posts in the other thread (I've read them with great interest and have enjoyed the records you posted enormously), and you assume that I'm not "passionate about music". That's a lot of bloody assumptions isn't it?

I'd be more inclined to discuss my liking for Robbie Williams in more depth if it wasn't so abundantly clear that you find such an idea unthinkable.

Whirlybird

Whirlybird

Ciarán2

There is no argument to be had as far as I'm concerned, whirlybird. If you can't accept that I'm looking forward to his new album, so be it. You cannot "prove" that a singer or group is or isn't good. I'm not interested in persuading you that Robbie Williams has some value.  You seriously can't accept that people have different tastes to you?

Edit: I suppose in the context of a thread like this it just looks like I'm trying to be contrary. Also I don't want to be disingenuous here and maybe you are interested in some kind of chat about it. I posted here (also last year in fact) more out of voicing my opinion on Robbie Williams rather than to line up to call Robbie Williams and his fans "cunts" - hey, the thread title fooled me! I've always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with him. As I said earlier, I hated "Let Me Entertain You" (above all for its inescapability, something similar can be said of "Angels"). I really like some of his singles; "Lazy Days", "Millennium", "Feel", "Tripping" and especially "No Regrets" which I thought was superb. I think you're falling foul of something the Comedy Chat subforum succumbs to on occasion - an absolute outright refusal to accept that people just have different tastes. Of course there are good arguments as to why Robbie Williams is a lesser talent than other singers or songwriters. But sorry to say, that they can't undo an appreciation of a song which stimulates someone. Your passion for music seems to be lacking if it misses out this crucial aspect of art per se.

I liked the outcome of his writing with Stephen Duffy. I'm interested that he's chosen to release an electro-oriented album at a point where electropop is so out of vogue. I'm aware of his love for the Pet Shop Boys' "Behaviour" LP (which I am also a huge fan of). He's worked with PSB on two tracks, one of which is a cover of My Robot Friend's "We Are The Pet Shop Boys", the other is a PSB production and co-write called "She's Madonna". The last time they worked together was Robbie's version of "Jealousy" (an excellent performance) on the PSB "Sold On Song" concert for Radio 2. Before that, they worked together on "No Regrets", which I loved.

But there's nothing of course to stop you coming back with "The Pet Shop Boys????!!! They're bloody rubbish!!!!!" Which is why I'm not that interested in arguing with you.

Whirlybird

Sorry, drunken idiot.  I approached that very poorly, but I simply don't see what a music fan can actually get from Williams' attempts at making music.  Nor do I see why someone would choose to listen to him, when there's a whole world of interesting and amazing music at their finger-tips.  His music has absolutely no artistic merit.  He's a talentless twerp, an "overpaid redcoat" as someone said earlier in the thread, and I'd rather have a world where stuff like this is seen for the crap that it is.  I mean, shooting fish in a barrel here admittedly, but it's still annoying that this is seemingly the best that mainstream music can produce these days.  I'd rather have the situation where  kids were screaming over stuff like Bo Diddley rocking the fuck out of Road Runner.  That used to be the case, but now they're content with Robbie bloody Williams and Girls Aloud.  It was summed up nicely on page 1..."hairdresser music", unchallenging and uninteresting crap that's kept afloat by mugging and 'ooh I'm a cheeky chappy' posturing.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"that line about doing stuff with the sheriffs daughter feels a bit tacked on.
That's cos it's nicked wholesale from Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys. (Though the second line is originally 'I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a Wiffle Ball bat').

Whirlybird, please don't systematically edit-out your posts like that in future, it can help bugger-up the site. Thanks. Being disagreed with is also nothing to be ashamed of. :)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Whirlybird"Sorry, drunken idiot.  I approached that very poorly, but I simply don't see what a music fan can actually get from Williams' attempts at making music.  Nor do I see why someone would choose to listen to him, when there's a whole world of interesting and amazing music at their finger-tips.  His music has absolutely no artistic merit.  He's a talentless twerp, an "overpaid redcoat" as someone said earlier in the thread, and I'd rather have a world where stuff like this is seen for the crap that it is.  I mean, shooting fish in a barrel here admittedly, but it's still annoying that this is seemingly the best that mainstream music can produce these days.  I'd rather have the situation where  kids were screaming over stuff like Bo Diddley rocking the fuck out of Road Runner.  That used to be the case, but now they're content with Robbie bloody Williams and Girls Aloud.  It was summed up nicely on page 1..."hairdresser music", unchallenging and uninteresting crap that's kept afloat by mugging and 'ooh I'm a cheeky chappy' posturing.

I agree with Whirlybird here. Why choose to listen to this or any other pop music that is essentially compromised in quality to be tailored for mainstream radio?

I appreciate we don't all have time the scour the internet for unheard of bands that are way too cool, but we all have mp3 players and/or computers these days, so there's no excuse really.

I don't really mind people saying 'I like pop music' as long as it doesn't mean, 'I like exactly whats fed to me on the radio'.

Oh, to go into a pub or a club and hear a track I've never, or hardly ever heard.

kidsick5000

Anyone who saw his Glastonbury gig in 1998 would have to admit he won the crowd over.  He drew an almost biblical sized crowd (for an afternoon slot anyway) and he was entertaining.
Sadly, watching a recorded gig a few months later,, you came to realise that all his adlibs were not adlibs at all. It was almost like a scripted musical.
 Its a shame. Robbie had the potential to be truely massive all over the world. Yep, the next George Michael, but more fun. But he has failed to live up to it and is already on the SE Asian pension scheme tour along with Linkin Park.
 In Take That he was brilliant. A subversion of the boyband mentality. Youtube the full video for 'Sure'. Total and utter star.
 Why he fell out with Guy Chambers, I dunno. But it was the single worst move of his career.
 None of his recent stuff has any staying power. He solo career has already had a 2nd wind, Angels being the song that saved him from/delayed a career in presenting.
Sad, really. Such a waste.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "kidsick5000"Anyone who saw his Glastonbury gig in 1998 would have to admit he won the crowd over.  He drew an almost biblical sized crowd (for an afternoon slot anyway)
I remember the Fun Lovin Criminals drawing a phenomenally huge crowd in the afternoon at Reading '99, one of the biggest crowds of the festival. People'll turn up for any old shit in the afternoon. :)

Catalogue Trousers

Quotecall me on my mobile not the landline

By cracky, young Robert is hip to the zeitgeist, eh hep cats?

Why I Hate Tables

QuoteOh, to go into a pub or a club and hear a track I've never, or hardly ever heard.

It is strange how that doesn't happen EVER isn't it?

One of the mysteries of the universe.

It's like there's only 20 (at the most) songs that get played) and clubs are scared to play anything else in case people don't like it and leave.

Maybe I'm overstating this, but people aren't babies and can cope with hearing new music. That's why Robbie is so irritating. If you only heard him occasionally it would be okay, but as he's over played he's irritating.

He seems to be a very irritating , smug little person as well, but he has produced a few great songs with Guy Chambers.

Borboski

I have the same approach to Williams some people have to Thatcher.

I.e. when he's gone I'll be happy.

Which isn't very nice, but still, I made this pact when I was 19 that I was going to outline him.

thepuffpastryhangman

Mascara competitions aside.

Robbie, as a straight man to Martin O Neill at the 1998 World Cup finals played a part in one of my favourite TV moments.

Borboski

it was brilliant, you can find it on youtube i think.  Martin just won't leave it, fantastic stuff.  Great to see someone not fawning over him as well.

chand

Quote from: "Borboski"I made this pact when I was 19 that I was going to outline him.

Like this?