Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Intolerable Cruelty

Started by Brian Coat, March 05, 2004, 10:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Coat

saw this last night.. was very disappointed. And it got all those great reviews.  It felt EXACTLY like a movie written by a commitee of writers (I am aware that it was)   ie   "Lets try and make this appeal to EVERYONE".  It was a joke in search of a punchline, it didn't feel like it was coming from any sort of specific place... it just did its thing and looked good. However, it's the first time I was disappointed by a movie with the Coen bros stamp on it.  They usually deliver.  Lets hope this was a stopgap in order to fund some new crazy venture.  Did anyone else see this? and what did yous think?

Macerate and Petrify

I liked it too. WAsnt much too it, but it was good fun.

I'd have to agree with Mr. Coat, it was very disappointing. I say that as a huge fan of the Coen Brothers. The "writing commitee" aspect was something that struck me too, you could kind of tell that this was something that had been laboured over by a succession of writing partnerships, since - with a couple of notable expections (eg. Wheezy Joe accidentally shooting himself) -it singularly lacked the Coen Brothers' distinctive voice.

Structurally, it adhered very much to the conventions of the rom-com genre, and I can't help but think it would have been dismissed as a somewhat hackneyed piece of work had it been made by a standard issue Hollywood director, rather than Joel and Ethan Coen.

As for subsidising a left-field, more traditionally Coen-esque venture, their next project is a remake. Of The Ladkillers. With Tom Hanks. It's probably a bit early to start sounding the death knell on their creative relevance, but this is most likely going to be their second substandard movie in a row.

Which leaves  Messrs. Cronenberg and Lynch as the only two veteran contemporary film-makers never to let me down...one of them will probably go and do a bloody Grisham adaptation now!