Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Newshound From Hell and The CaB Radio Collection

Started by TJ, November 21, 2005, 10:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Some of you may be aware that back in the mid-1990s, the BBC Radio Collection intended to put out a compilation of The Chris Morris Music Show entitled "Newshound From Hell". This would have been a selection of highlights from the series (presumably with some new linking material?), which is known to have included Eat Whale Meat, Everybody Get Fat On Cream and an edit of the Taxi Driver. Unfortunately this fell victim to clearance problems (over interviews, I believe, rather than music) and never came out.

...which is where you lot come in. For a while now, we've been toying with the idea of reconstructing some sort of approximation of "Newshound From Hell", and now it's being thrown open to you lot to compile. Remember that it should be as a proper BBC release would have been, and therefore would have had a coherent 'flow' and wouldn't have included any music tracks. Other than that, we can decide on the highlights between ourselves. I reckon it should be a 'two disc' set, too.

In fact, if anyone fancies having a go, I reckon it could be worth doing similar compilations of a number of radio and TV comedy shows (on a series by series basis where applicable?). Not just for the fun of it, but also because it's nice to offer a 'taster' to curious parties who wouldn't want to dive straight in to the full set. Anyone feel like making a try at any of the following:

On The Hour (a better one to replace the rubbish BBC Radio Collection one)
Blue Jam (ditto)
Chris Morris GLR
Girls Will Be Girls
The Burkiss Way
The Mary Whitehouse Experience
Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World
Room 101
The League Against Tedium
John Walters At The Beeb
John Peel At The Beeb
Armando Iannucci
Radio Active
Viv Stanshall's Radio Flashes

or anything else that takes your fancy?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'Newshound from Hell' - that's such a terrible title. It wasn't Morris-approved was it?

TJ

Nobody biting yet? OK then, here's a couple of items that I think should be in it (in addition to Eat Whale Meat, Everybody Get Fat On Cream and Taxi Driver):

The 'Oh my stars!' phone call
"We Ain't Got No Fucking Idea"
The 'What about the hooooooomeless?' student section
Peter and Chris discussing bath products
The Edinburgh/'the drawer's empty' saga

A Passing Turk Slipper

The 'they're getting up wrong!' bit of episode 5, when he's angry. My all time fave Morris thing that.
Also, all the listener's letters should be in there, spread throughout the compilation.

TJ

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"The 'they're getting up wrong!' bit of episode 5, when he's angry. My all time fave Morris thing that.
Also, all the listener's letters should be in there, spread throughout the compilation.

Brilliant ideas! I also think that if we do a two-disc effort, the first should open with the Heseltine announcement (followed by the 'Jesus - Stick It Up' jingle), and the second with the "Rejoice! He's Alive!" phone call.

Zuffic

The entire Tortoise Abuse section is probably my favourite ever Morris thing.

"It.. looks like.. an old man's hand".

fbb bastard

definately got to have the frankie valli stuff

"oh shes swearing now..she's bonding"

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "fbb bastard"
"oh shes swearing now..she's bonding"

Hahaha, funnily enough I was thinking about that yesterday and let out a loud guffaw.

I also can't walk down Oxford Street anymore without thinking of Peter Baynham in a giant hat stealing a baby. "Good evening ma'am".

I think 100 Oxford Street is pretty much where Baby Cow is, funnily enough.

I had nothing of worth to add to this thread, did I?

edit: Ooh, what about Darwin's Tripods, oh Enoch?   Was that poem improvised?

TJ

We're definitely getting a good listing together now. I'd like to add the Simon Bates bits to the list, and the Peter Stringfellow interview. And David Copperfield Live.

While I'm here... didn't someone on here once do a self-made French & Saunders album?

Gypsum Fantastic

Having tried creating my own version of 'Newshound From Hell' a few times before, I always found music removal to be something of a problem - quite often it's lingering over the intros to certain sketches, or at the beginnings of the sketches themselves, so I'd either settle on having fade-ins and fade-outs all over the place (which sounded terrible) or leaving the music in (which took up a bit too much time). I take it there'll be strictly none on this? But a few jingles every now and then?

Anyway, a few of my favourite bits:
Dead Johnny Walker
The interview with that French musician whose name I don't remember (the ridiculous emphasis on 'affection' is fantastic)
Wayne Carr vs Edwina Currie
Wayne Carr vs 2Unlimited
The 'Night of 200 Stars' interviews (Petula Clark in particular)
Chris' Bruno Brookes radio show submitted puns
Various feedback reports
The 1FM Drugline bit
The 'sniffing planes' call to America
National AIDs Day (with the phallus train and the virus bear)
At least one Kiddie's Outing
At least one Sock Quiz
A Cow Quiz (I seem to remember one of them links into a Paul Garner shop bothering routine)
Old People Walking Off Cliffs video
That Ice Cube concert anecdote

Agh, sorry, included too many there...

Quote from: "TJ"I also think that if we do a two-disc effort, the first should open with the Heseltine announcement (followed by the 'Jesus - Stick It Up' jingle), and the second with the "Rejoice! He's Alive!" phone call.
Excellent idea. So with sketches that span most of a show, such as the smashed tortoise / big spoon baby balloon / Peter's gone mad / dead Johnnie Walker etc., we scatter them variously across a disc?

TJ

Quote from: "Gypsum Fantastic"Having tried creating my own version of 'Newshound From Hell' a few times before, I always found music removal to be something of a problem - quite often it's lingering over the intros to certain sketches, or at the beginnings of the sketches themselves, so I'd either settle on having fade-ins and fade-outs all over the place (which sounded terrible) or leaving the music in (which took up a bit too much time). I take it there'll be strictly none on this? But a few jingles every now and then?

That's the idea. Judging from the edit of Taxi Driver that leaked out they simply started the sketch material from the point where the music ended (it cuts in with "OK, Paul!"), but I've always wondered if there might have been some new linking material for the finished product, as with the Mark and Lard CD.

Quote from: "TJ"
Excellent idea. So with sketches that span most of a show, such as the smashed tortoise / big spoon baby balloon / Peter's gone mad / dead Johnnie Walker etc., we scatter them variously across a disc?

Yeah, interspersed with Feedback Reports or whatever.

hands cold, liver warm

I like the morris-baynham conversation about how to improve sport, with the baynham line about how tennis players should be forced to play with a snooker cue if they are rude to the umpire. fantastic.

also the millemium celebrations conversation is brilliant. I love all of baynham's contributions to the show.

p.s. the excellent guides on this site make the idea of making a compilation much more appealing, they make it easy to check which episode has what material.

I'd be more than happy to help make the music show one, not too keen on the idea of doing it all myself though.

Dang

I love the Paul Garner shop bothering bit where he won't go back into a shop because he thinks he'll get beaten up and Morris says 'He's gotta do it!'. Always makes me laugh for some reason. That and when Paul says 'It's dog city in there' and Morris goes '...dog city...'

Gypsum Fantastic

Thought it was 'dodge city'...? Never understood what it meant, though.

TJ

hands cold, liver warm

I'm thinking of a good way of doing this. Stuff like the tortoise klllng has about three different sections in episode 4, so all those sections are edited together into one whole. Then maybe there are one or two bits which are extended throughout the compilation, like the death of michael heseltine. So the comp. starts with "any news on the death of heseltine..." and ends with "HE'S ALIVE, HE'S NOT DEAD"

just a thought

Neil

Quote from: "TJ"Judging from the edit of Taxi Driver that leaked out

Huh?

Godzilla Bankrolls

I think he means the one off that tape that was free with an issue of Loaded.

hands cold, liver warm

I've done a 60min armando iannucci compilation show (in three parts). Have a listen and tell me wot u fink

http://rapidshare.de/files/8339684/armando1.mp3.html

the rest will follow

second part

http://rapidshare.de/files/8341139/armando2.mp3.html

hands cold, liver warm

part three
http://rapidshare.de/files/8343933/armando3.mp3.html

I think one of the john peel links has talking in the background, so should be replaced. Maybe there should be more spacing between the different sections? Any suggestions for improvements?

hands cold, liver warm

so nobody liked it, que sera sera. Well I have to say I really enjoyed making it, it satisified all my anal tendancies, cutting things up and putting them back together. I can recommend the process if anyone wants to have a bash on the other stuff.

For the sake of nothing, the whole compilation is on one file on megaupload

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=67YUN1SE