Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"I Love Dixons!" and other unexpected testimonials.

Started by terminallyrelaxed, November 23, 2005, 01:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"A vote for Maplin in Swansea here too.  Generally great.  I guess that's what happens when you employ enthusiastic geeks as shop staff...
Nah, bollocks to Maplin. The Chelmsford branch had two separate assistants who sneerily talked down to me about stuff. I've not been back since.

PrecociousCunt

Quote from: "slim"Nah, bollocks to Maplin. The Chelmsford branch had two separate assistants who sneerily talked down to me about stuff. I've not been back since.

Yeah, that's just Chelmsford for you though, innit?

Oh and I've never really had any better than expected retail experiences, but plenty worse. Like a crappy sandwich wrap thing I bought from Tesco Express earlier that was frozen in the middle. Yum.

slim

It's quite possible. Most residents seem to be more aggressive and thick than condescending and geeky though, so it's not like it follows the general pattern.

Nice name, by the way, hallo.

weekender

I had an abysmal experience in Dixons.  I went in to look at their mp3 players and within 5 minutes I had been approached by 6 staff asking if I needed any assistance.  That was just overkill, especially as the same guy asked me on minutes 1 and 4.  I walked out.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Yeah I hate it when people me while I'm trying ot shoplift too.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "weekender"I had an abysmal experience in Dixons.  I went in to look at their mp3 players and within 5 minutes I had been approached by 6 staff asking if I needed any assistance.  That was just overkill, especially as the same guy asked me on minutes 1 and 4.  I walked out.
Yes, I've done that in Dixons before now.  It drives me up the wall, especially as you get the feeling that, behind your back as you stalk out, they're not going "shit, we lost a sale there by being too intrusive", but rather "Hah, just goes to show, he was either a shoplifter or not REALLY interested anyway".

Before I moved to Saffron Walden, I would have followed Lee's line, and said that I'd never had one good retail experience in Dixons.  The Harlow branch in particular was abysmal, they always took ages to serve you...the worst time was when I waited 20 minutes just to buy a simple pack of videotapes, with cash, eventually giving up, putting it down on the counter, and walking out before I missed my bus.  It wasn't that there was a queue that was moving, there were about five of us standing around waiting the whole time; it's just that all the staff were either busy selling on the floor, or running up and down like headless chickens sorting out all the problems with bloody returns of their shitty goods, and nobody gave a fuck about us.

However the Saffron Walden branch was almost reasonable at times.  Whether this was because it was in a more genteel setting or not, I don't know, but you could at least buy stuff within a minute or two of arriving at the counter, even if sometimes they did pounce on you when browsing.