Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Life in the undergrowth

Started by abbot lau, November 24, 2005, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordSnooty

I don't see why spiders are much more evil than any other bug, like the one which laid eggs in a host Alien-style. I think you just find them scary to look at.

menguin

In 'real life' spiders are on of the few invertebrates that I find really frightening, but once you have got past the initial 'oh god that is one hellova massive spider' stage, I find watching them on telly to be really interesting.  Bit like watching Antatomy for Beginners-once the initial shock was over you could appreciate how interesting the human body is.  This program lives up to the usual high standards of David Attenborough and I continue to be amazed at the beauty and brilliance of the natural world.  Will definitely be tuning in to the next one.

greencalx

Bugger - forgot to video this again (Weds night is my night out for good behaviour).  And it seems it's about the only programme on the BBC that's not repeating ad nauseam on BBC3.

Sam

This is what we pay the license fee for. Beautiful.

Almost Yearly

I'm told by my arachnophobic friend that for him it's not the evil or the impression of free will, it's the knees.

There was a nature programme a few years back which featured a stripey parasitic larva growing enormous inside the eye stalk of a snail. It was almost unwatchable - you could feel the sympathetic pain of the equivalent of a wriggling dog foetus growing in your eyeball.

If humans have 46 chromosomes and gorillas and potatos have 48, where does that leave vegetarians? [/SillyTangentBestIgnored]

thepuffpastryhangman

Best thing on since 'No Direction Home'.

The fly landing upside down on the branch, nuff wowing. And the butterflies travelling a few hundred miles to feed, what wonders need one witness to embrace veganism?

There can never be enough reminders humankind is not a 'special case'.

Almost Yearly

Well exactly, and although we're cruel to chickens we've bred ourselves, and what we do to blackberries doesn't bear thinking about, at least we don't inject our embryos into wild pigs' eyeballs.

sproggy

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"I'm told by my arachnophobic friend that for him it's not the evil or the impression of free will, it's the knees.

And their apparent sentience.

Clever and cunning little freakish things, not your average bug at all.

You can get a beetle to run into your makeshift paper trap over and over again but a spider will back off and stare at you whilst pondering how to eat your hand.

Oscar

Seems a shame that no one else has come close to being as good as Attenborough at doing this kind of thing. Most nature presenters who've tried to take his place are just gibbering gurning fools. He's not a young lad, but is still the best.

A fear of spider's knees seems very specific.

menguin

mook

Gawd, it's good innit!

Bloody spiders next week eh? Well, like a trip to the dentist it's best to get it over and done with sooner rather than later I suppose, I expect I'll be watching from as far away from the tele as possible, with my feet tucked underneath me like a big jesse.

Quote from: "Almost"There was a nature programme a few years back which featured a stripey parasitic larva growing enormous inside the eye stalk of a snail. It was almost unwatchable - you could feel the sympathetic pain of the equivalent of a wriggling dog foetus growing in your eyeball.

God, that was fucking awful wasn't it, giant pulsating horror, yuck, I can feel my balls retreating into my body just thinking about it.

EDIT...

Fucking google...I found the bastard thing straight away and what's worse it's animated.

http://people.smu.edu/eheise/Leucochloridium_paradoxum.htm