Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sadowitz tour dates for 2024

Started by Captain Crunch, November 11, 2023, 09:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 20, 2023, 12:36:48 AMJerry Sadowitz is a pathetic man, fuck him.  If he enhances your life at this stage then that's a massive admission of
Failure.

Sounds like you're more angry at yourself, if anything. It's already clear that he's not going to adjust his act to pull the rug out from under his dumb racist fans, and you have to ask yourself why. Have you not read any previous threads about him?

Harry Badger

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 19, 2023, 07:09:41 PMNoticed a bit during a rewatch of One Foot in the Grave recently (episode "Who Will Buy") where he's mentioned as one of the acts performing on stage before Victor.

There's then a Sadowitz lookalike at the beginning of the next episode.

He also popped up briefly in an episode of Rab C Nesbitt as a street magician.

QuoteJerry Sadowitz is a pathetic man, fuck him.  If he enhances your life at this stage then that's a massive admission of
Failure.

Hi Jerry!

Blinder Data

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 19, 2023, 09:47:00 PMWhere was it that he said that?

It might be that he hasn't said that himself, but that it's a common defence of his material by supporters. his promotional copy is full of stuff to suggest he's against everyone and not specific minorities but his targets don't fully reflect that

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thenoise on November 19, 2023, 11:13:09 PMHe calls himself an 'equal opportunities offender' in Total Abuse (I think).

I was thinking more outside of his act, such as interviews. In, say, the recent interview he did with Brian Logan at The Guardian, he's not taking that tack - it's worth noting that Logan did push him once or twice on a point but to no avail.

thenoise

Sadowitz needs to have a ramblechat with Count Buckula, straighten everything out. Buxstie can squirm about cancel culture while Jerry calls him an English ruling class cunt.

iamcoop

Pretty sure Richard Herring mentioned on his blog once that he was close to landing Sadowitz as a guest a couple of times but he got cold feet and pulled out.

I can't actually see him being a good guest on something like that anyway, he'd probably be really good on a hardcore nerdy magic podcast, but I just can't see him light-heartedly bantering with anyone on stage.

Pink Gregory

isn't he known to be quite awkward and withdrawn off-stage, or did I read that about someone else?

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 19, 2023, 09:12:21 PMI'd be tempted to see him at one of his shows in a smaller venue but I suspect post-"cancelling" he's more repentent than ever and attracted a worse crowd. also, his excuse that he insults everyone equally isn't true. I don't think he adequately attacks racists, homophobes, sexists or white people. many of his targets for his more offensive material (e.g. Diane Abbot) is the same as those of dodgy old blokes telling jokes down the pub

I now have a vague memory it was talking shit about Diane Abbot that put me off the last time I saw him. It was a far cry from the "equal opportunities" offence from the first time about 12 years ago which included this amazing rant in which he rattled off several slurs finishing up with "fucked up the arse with the bones of Mo Mowlam". Jesus, I just spat on my screen remembering how funny and shocking that was.

sevendaughters

sorry PaulTMA but I guess that makes me a failure.

I wrote this at the end of the last thread on him, maybe it will help anyone thinking of going or not going: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=96393.600

Captain Crunch

Bollocks, caved in and bought tickets for the Forum.  Only you don't get tickets you get an animated bloody polecat or something only accessible through an app that you can only implant every other Tuesday.  Or some such cobblers.  Never had this at Leicester Square.  Grumble. 

Lewman

Been sitting on the fence whether to get tickets to see him in Bristol. Alas it's now sold out. He's however added a 2nd gig the next day much to my relief.

Thing is I've only ever seen his 90s TV appearances and really don't know whether his comedy is for me.

I'm aware hes very militant taking down content of his from YouTube but its really difficult to gauge what his act is nowadays.

Anyone have any links to audio/video to give a taste of what to expect?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Lewman on January 18, 2024, 06:53:05 PMThing is I've only ever seen his 90s TV appearances and really don't know whether his comedy is for me.

I'm aware hes very militant taking down content of his from YouTube but its really difficult to gauge what his act is nowadays.

You can probably find some bootlegs here and there (mostly there), but it's a lot more aggressive and offensive than any of his TV work. Not in a bad way, necessarily, but it depends what your tolerance is for that sort of thing.

I haven't seen him for over ten years so I'm not sure if he's changed in any significant way since then (doesn't sound like it), but I'd say unless you're particularly sensitive about any topics you may as well go along. It's an experience.

Wet Blanket

Got tickets to see him in Leeds in March, a gift from Mrs Blanket, although I'm not sure she realises what she's let herself in for.

As always gets mentioned, his audiences are always a split between BNP looking types and chin stroking smarty pantses. This gig's at the Wardrobe which I *think* might skew towards the latter. However it is a venue with a bar in the auditorium, which does make me feel bad for the bar staff.

Lewman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 18, 2024, 07:58:04 PMYou can probably find some bootlegs here and there (mostly there), but it's a lot more aggressive and offensive than any of his TV work. Not in a bad way, necessarily, but it depends what your tolerance is for that sort of thing.

I haven't seen him for over ten years so I'm not sure if he's changed in any significant way since then (doesn't sound like it), but I'd say unless you're particularly sensitive about any topics you may as well go along. It's an experience.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 18, 2024, 08:17:56 PMGot tickets to see him in Leeds in March, a gift from Mrs Blanket, although I'm not sure she realises what she's let herself in for.

As always gets mentioned, his audiences are always a split between BNP looking types and chin stroking smarty pantses. This gig's at the Wardrobe which I *think* might skew towards the latter. However it is a venue with a bar in the auditorium, which does make me feel bad for the bar staff.

Bit the bullet and got tickets for me and my wife. Have no idea what to expect. Excited though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Lewman on January 18, 2024, 06:53:05 PMBeen sitting on the fence whether to get tickets to see him in Bristol. Alas it's now sold out. He's however added a 2nd gig the next day much to my relief.

Thing is I've only ever seen his 90s TV appearances and really don't know whether his comedy is for me.

There are some rather long old threads which detail some of his jokes. Not ideal, but it'll give you a small taste.

I saw him in Nottingham, 2010-2011-ish, and had a good time. The show I saw then wasn't all that extreme, to be honest. Lots of laughs, bit of magic, good time had by all. Judging from the show mentioned in that old thread, I do kind of hope for your sake he's more the guy I saw and less the guy that 2022's audience saw.

lauraxsynthesis

I think every time I've seen him he had an opening act which was a tedious magician. I'm just not into magic at all including his.

sevendaughters

I spotted the extra date in Bristol but balked at £29 when work is a bit uncertain at the moment.

@Lewman I wrote a long review of Sadowitz from last year in the other thread. It should tell you what to expect. In short: very very funny at its best and very provocative at its worst, genuinely leaves you unsure as to what the irony quotient is.

He's old and angry and takes it too far without charm sometimes, but he is still a master joke writer and there will be jokes in there that will have you bent double. He can write an offensive joke better than anyone.

It's just that it's balanced with a load of stuff that isn't clever or layered and is just an angry man with ulcerative collitis shouting at everyone like the madcase at the bus stop when you were a kid.

He is definitely worth seeing though. Take the plunge.   

thenoise

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 18, 2024, 09:39:39 PMI think every time I've seen him he had an opening act which was a tedious magician. I'm just not into magic at all including his.

There was a straight magician one time, who I don't remember at all. Another time there was a chap doing bawdy songs on a Ukelele, would have been in London 10 years or so ago. Was fine but not particularly memorable.

Quote from: thenoise on January 19, 2024, 12:48:13 PMthere was a chap doing bawdy songs on a Ukelele

That Formby's STILL doing his shtick!?

Brass Moustache

Has he ever said why he resolutely refuses to do Ireland or Northern Ireland?

And he complains about people pirating his content online. Oh well fuck him if he hates us so much. Still hilarious though just not worth the price of flights and a hotel.

lauraxsynthesis

Here's a turn up. He's made a video as Jimmy Savile to promote the tour.

https://x.com/RealJSadowitz/status/1752750055407165456?s=20

I'm going to this tonight.

Slightly nervous. Not about Sadowitz himself (I've seen him loads of times) but by the audience. Last time I saw him there was definitely a section of the audience which wasn't- shall we say- CaB friendly. "Er. Are you sure you should be cheering there, mate?"

Jockice

Saw him last night.  The two women sitting next to me got up and left after about ten minutes.

Was it something I said?

Phew. That was bracing. Nice to see he's mellowed over the years.

There were moments I couldn't breathe I was laughing so much.

Audience: not cunts. That was a bonus.

thenoise

Quote from: Jockice on March 15, 2024, 07:11:09 PMSaw him last night.  The two women sitting next to me got up and left after about ten minutes.

Was it something I said?

Were you cheering and punching the air when Sadowitz was ironically calling women bitches?

Jockice

Quote from: thenoise on March 16, 2024, 10:26:13 AMWere you cheering and punching the air when Sadowitz was ironically calling women bitches?

Nah. Just high-fiving them.

Saw him last night in Nottingham and thought he was a bit shit to be honest. I think he's got too old and tired to really get worked up enough to make it work but the main problem was that most of what he said, whether he believes it or not, wasn't even close to some the horrible shit you see online. His stuff about Palestinians wasn't anywhere near as bad as things actual Israeli government officials have said and his material about China not half as vitriolic as the average Reddit thread before the mods go in and clean it up. In short people being vile cunts on the internet has ruined his act. There's so much genuinely hate and relentless divisional punching down everywhere that it just isn't shocking to hear it anymore. Telling us he likes Trump and Putin, ok, millions of other people adore them too. It's just more shit that you encounter from all sources dressed up as vaguely outdated entertainment. Felt very disappointed. His actual jokes too were kind of cheesy and outdated. Still doing Jimmy saville and Madeline McCann jokes yeah?

I really don't think he's got anywhere to go, and he commented how his audiences were dwindling. He was also clearly being a bit careful about some of his jokes, like we had a preamble before his inevitable Rishi Sunak slur fest, as if he felt he had to explain or excuse what he was saying, and he didn't get his cock out.

Anyway. I've done it, seen Sadowitz, ticked it off, won't bother again I don't think.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 19, 2024, 02:41:00 PM'wasn't even close to some the horrible shit you see online. His stuff about Palestinians wasn't anywhere near as bad as things actual Israeli government officials have said and his material about China not half as vitriolic as the average Reddit thread before the mods go in and clean it up.

But you're assuming that the audience have all waded though pages of online toxicity. I suspect the crowd is made up of people in their fifties who think Reddit is just the sound a toad makes.

Yeah I mean I'm only speaking from my point of view and my opinion. Others seemed to enjoy it (although there were definitely some parts that didn't go down well)

And you only have to read the news really to see nasty stuff from our own government

My point is the internet has given everyone (even 50 somethings who don't know what Reddit is) a platform to anonymously write whatever awful shit they like so it's not a taboo or a thrilling forbidden thing anymore, calling Rishi Sunak the p word isn't funny on any level, there's no joke there.