Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Necessary stuff to get for your first new computer in about 10 years

Started by Hank Venture, September 13, 2021, 03:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

just thought I should inform this thread that yesterday I made the change to Bitwarden and it all seems to be working fine. Perhaps not quite as neat as LastPass but it does all I need it to. The only thing it's missing is that I could click on a little icon on the username / password field with LastPass but with Bitwarden I need to click the icon in the top-right.

Sebastian Cobb

FYI you can also right-click in the box and fill via the context menu. Sometimes this can help explicitly telling it what to fill if it's hitting the odd site it can't auto-fill.

touchingcloth

BitWarden likes to work off URIs in my experience. If I have a password saved for www.mysite.com and want to fill in the same details on www.yoursite.com, I've not been able to find a quicker way of doing that than searching the vault for mysite, then opening the record and choosing autofill from there. LastPass would let me autofill after the search stage without needing to open the record.

JaDanketies

If I'm nitpicking, when I had Lastpass I could put the username into a search box and autofill but on this one I've got to scroll and pick it out, as far as I can see. Hasn't annoyed me yet but i can see it doing so

touchingcloth

BitWarden is definitely the best free alternative I've found, especially from the point of view of needing it to work on Windows, Mac and iOS. Apple's "keychain" is shite because it doesn't work seamlessly with Windows, and it doesn't let you add the sort of metadata that proper password managers do.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"uBlock" sounds awfully like some sort of drain cleaner.

That humourous observation aside, does installing it mean I can stop using NoScript? While I appreciate having dodgy scripts turned off by default, it's a pain in the bum having to go through the list, enabling stuff by trial and error just to get basic functionality.

Zetetic

To be clear, you specifically need uBlock Origin:
Quote from: Zetetic on September 13, 2021, 08:46:10 PM
Use uBlock Origin in either Chrome or Firefox.

Which sounds even more like a drain cleaner.

That humourous observation aside, does installing it mean I can stop using NoScript?
There are practically no use cases I can imagine for most people that would mean it was sensible to use NoScript by default, so that's hard to answer without you being clear on what you were trying to avoid and how much risk you're prepared to tolerate.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

To be honest, I'm out of my depth in this conversation. I just want to surf the information superhighway with the minimum of dodgy or annoying rubbish running.

Sebastian Cobb

I tend to use ublock origin and privacybadger as the latter does something a bit different, it did use to learn and block things it suspected as tracking stuff, although they've stopped doing that by default now as with a bit of research they reckoned that learning could be exploited to fingerprint individual users.

MojoJojo

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 21, 2021, 10:26:14 AM
just thought I should inform this thread that yesterday I made the change to Bitwarden and it all seems to be working fine. Perhaps not quite as neat as LastPass but it does all I need it to. The only thing it's missing is that I could click on a little icon on the username / password field with LastPass but with Bitwarden I need to click the icon in the top-right.

I've also made the switch to bitwarden. To be fair the auto-fill feature of Last Pass was a bit dodgy*, and the more explicit action BitWarden is requiring is probably better.

Only other thing I'd mention is that you need to turn on the auto fill features on android - these make it a lot more useable, but they're off by default. Hopefully not because they open massive security holes.

(*there were reports that it was pretty trivial to set up impersonator sites to steal passwords. I don't know what LassPass did to fix that)

Sebastian Cobb

Apparently a problem with lastpass and several other plugins was they didn't check whether form fields had the hidden property, so could silently autofill hidden fields marked username and password. I'm sure everyone hastily patched that one when it went public as it's a bit of an embarrassing schoolboy error.