Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The USB stick that lets me use an Xbox controller on my PC

Started by beanheadmcginty, October 03, 2021, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

I'm a very lazy person so cannot sit at my desk to play PC games. To get around this I got that little USB device that lets me use an Xbox controller on my PC while laying in bed. Problem is, in my new flat the PC and big telly are in different rooms so I need to run an extension from my USB port so that it picks up the signal from the controller. I bought a big long USB extension cable but it didn't work whatsoever, as if it wasn't complex enough to deliver the signal. Do I just need to buy a more expensive cable or is there a better way of doing this?

Zetetic

Sebastian Cobb

How far away is it, you might be able to get away with using bluetooth.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 03, 2021, 01:40:35 PM
How far away is it, you might be able to get away with using bluetooth.

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. Do all xbox controllers have Bluetooth?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 02:04:14 PM
Ooh, hadn't thought of that. Do all xbox controllers have Bluetooth?

What model do you have?

It looks like the 360 uses a proprietary protocol (although MS do make wireless usb adaptors), whereas the xbox one uses bluetooth so can be connected directly.

beanheadmcginty

I've got the most modern controller, from the new console that I can't remember the name of but superseded the Xbox One.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 03:18:19 PM
I've got the most modern controller, from the new console that I can't remember the name of but superseded the Xbox One.

You should be good then:
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-use-an-xbox-one-controller-on-a-pc

gmoney

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 03, 2021, 03:18:19 PM

It should work, but word of warning, some games don't appear to detect the Xbox controller correctly over blutooth and they thinks a generic controller with a different button configuration. No idea why, and I don't think it's many games but off the top of my head NBA 2K21 was one. 

beanheadmcginty

I must be a right thicko because I cannot for the life of me get my PC to even acknowledge the controller is there via Bluetooth.  I run the Windows Bluetooth troubleshooter and it tells me that my PC doesn't have Bluetooth. Despite this spurious claim, I can very easily connect my phone and Bluetooth headphones to the PC via Bluetooth with no problem at all. There's a fucking TP Link Bluetooth dongle sticking out of the front of the tower. Bill Gates is fucking gaslighting me.

peanutbutter

It's possible your computers bluetooth signal isn't very strong? I've resorted to adding and extension to the antennae that runs across half my apartment.

A 5m extension cable should be okay, it's only really beyond that length where you start to get massive issues. Might be worth trying different ports on the PC? The ports on my case are absolute dogshit but the ones built into the motherboard are mostly reliablee (iirc the USB 3.2 or whatever it is one, the red one, doesn't handle a long cable very well)

Quote from: gmoney on October 03, 2021, 10:02:56 PM
It should work, but word of warning, some games don't appear to detect the Xbox controller correctly over blutooth and they thinks a generic controller with a different button configuration. No idea why, and I don't think it's many games but off the top of my head NBA 2K21 was one. 
Iirc the post-360 controllers work via bluetooth but you won't be able to do additional shit like have a headset connected to the bottom of the controller. So when you're using bluetooth it technically isn't being registered as a fully operational Xbox controller.

beanheadmcginty

Thicko status confirmed. I've only just realised that the USB extension cable is so long that I can simply plug it into the Xbox controller and run it from the PC to the bedroom and use it as an oldskool wired controller. Thanks for all your help though.