Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Need to buy a phone

Started by Cold Meat Platter, November 18, 2021, 03:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Want to get an oculus quest but you need a phone to set it up and mine is too old.
A refurbished iPhone 7 is about £100 quid, is this a good deal, you think? It's about all I want to spend.
Any recommended sellers of refurbished/cheap phones?
Cheers.

Uncle TechTip

Cex or Game is usually not bad, the prices aren't great but you at least get to try it beforehand and there's a basic warranty period which is my biggest fear if buying a second hand phone, that the battery gives up two days later because it can't hold any charge.

canadagoose

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 18, 2021, 03:21:12 AMWant to get an oculus quest but you need a phone to set it up and mine is too old.
A refurbished iPhone 7 is about £100 quid, is this a good deal, you think? It's about all I want to spend.
Any recommended sellers of refurbished/cheap phones?
Cheers.
The iPhone 7 is getting on a bit now, but it looks like it's still supported for another year. You could probably get a few years out of it.

The Guppy

I bought an iPhone 7 last year. Seemed in great nick but I charged it to full, left the house, and it was dead within an hour. Used an app to check the number of times it'd been charged and it was something absurd like twelve billion.

Sent it back, got another 7, and the battery is great.

I've used Envirofone and Music Magpie in the past. Both fine and let you send shit back.

Cold Meat Platter

Reckon I'll go for an android, already got a google account, cant be arsed with signing up for apple store etc. and no headphone fuckery.

Cold Meat Platter

What do we reckon about Xiaomi phones folks? Good black friday deal on this chap

paruses

Not very clued up on this sort of thing but the one I got for a friend is more than fine. Usual amount of bloatware/freeware on their but it's not intrusive. Camera is really good. Battery life is also pretty impressive. - doesn't get hammered with podcasts etc but lasts a good day + far as I can tell. That £119 is what I paid on the Xiaomi website and got a free mini-backpack and they ship from UK - not a deal breaker but that Black Friday price isn't an absolute steal as far as I can tell but please double check. No idea about their after sales reputation.

richjj1978

Quote from: paruses on November 22, 2021, 11:19:45 PMNot very clued up on this sort of thing but the one I got for a friend is more than fine. Usual amount of bloatware/freeware on their but it's not intrusive. Camera is really good. Battery life is also pretty impressive. - doesn't get hammered with podcasts etc but lasts a good day + far as I can tell. That £119 is what I paid on the Xiaomi website and got a free mini-backpack and they ship from UK - not a deal breaker but that Black Friday price isn't an absolute steal as far as I can tell but please double check. No idea about their after sales reputation.

I've had various Motorola Moto G phones for about the last 7 or 8 years.  They seem good for the money. Decent battery life, fairly fast in general use, and the firmware is regularly updated and quite close to stock Android.

The only thing that seems to break is the charging socket, so get yourself one of the magnetic cables where you leave the plug in.

Cold Meat Platter

Bought that Xiaomi as it seemed like a good deal. Cheers folks.

Captain Z

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 23, 2021, 06:02:48 AMBought that Xiaomi as it seemed like a good deal. Cheers folks.

How are you getting on with it? Going to be after a new one myself in the near future and the Redmi 10 or 10S is the probable candidate.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for phones in the £100-150 range (either new or second-hand)?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Captain Z on February 13, 2022, 12:48:41 AMHow are you getting on with it? Going to be after a new one myself in the near future and the Redmi 10 or 10S is the probable candidate.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for phones in the £100-150 range (either new or second-hand)?

Its great. Really no complaints but I don't do a lot of photography or video so can't really comment on that.

Endicott

I got a Samsung Galaxy A12 two months ago, and am very happy with it. Although looks like they bumped the price up by 25 quid now, which puts it at 170. Also some reviews suggest it might be a little underpowered if you play games a lot, but I don't play any so haven't noticed. The only time its struggled was handling video in a MS Teams call, which as any fule know you need a Cray to run smoothly.

falafel

My husband has a Redmi note 10 and it's great, in most ways as good as my huawei p30 pro except the cameras are good rather than great. That said my p30 is nearly 3 years old now but still - for the money, really impressive and buttery smooth. Phones really are improving way slower than they used to.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 22, 2021, 09:59:05 PMWhat do we reckon about Xiaomi phones folks?

I think you get what you pay for. I got a Xiaomi new for €130 which is entry level. It was shite and I had to get a better phone sharpish for gaming. I'm sure if you pay more for Xiaomi it would be fine as they have a loyal following.

I got a Oneplus Nord new for about €360 and it's been great. Oneplus was the best reviewed, best value android phone for the money I could find. I've hammered the fuck out of it playing games for about 18 months and it hasn't dropped a frame and still works great. Nice performance, Gorilla glass, nice picture quality.

Famous Mortimer

@checkoutgirl , do you have one of them things that's like both ends of a Switch you put your phone into?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 18, 2022, 03:00:02 PM@checkoutgirl , do you have one of them things that's like both ends of a Switch you put your phone into?

No I just swipe the screen. I play one game that's quite frame intense and recommended to use an Iphone but it works fine on the Nord. I think the Nord 2 is out now so presumably that's even better. Costs the guts of 400 notes though so not the cheapest.