Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wireless router woes.

Started by Cold Meat Platter, November 25, 2021, 02:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Bought a wireless router to connect to my adsl modem/wired router to act as an access point.
Trouble is, when the modem is hooked up to the router by Ethernet there's no connection on either the modem or router. All cables are fine and so is internet access when the PC is connected to the modem. I can connect my PC to the Wireless router and configure it. It's on the same subnet as the modem with a different IP.
The Ethernet activity light on the modem just stays dead when I plug the router into the WAN port or indeed any LAN ports. The WAN port lights up when you connect it back to one of the LAN ports on the router so it's OK.

Modem/router is A XyZel p660r-t1 v3
Wireless router is Tp-Link WR841N
Windows 10

Sonny_Jim

If you go LAN to LAN do the link lights come on?

Uncle TechTip

Do you need to set the new router to bridged mode, as it might be acting like an adsl modem at the moment, and so expecting just a phone line to be plugged in - when in fact your old router/modem is acting as a router. Confused? I am!

MojoJojo

Cold Meat Platter

New router is just router, no modem. Router is set in access point mode.  If i go LAN to LAN there's nothing. It's as if my modem isn't communicating with the router, it shows 'ethernet disconnected' when, well, it's not.
3 different cables verified working from modem to PC. I had an old router set in bridge mode working fine until it broke recently. Harrumph. New Oculus Quest just arrived...