Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Very specific front end control name question

Started by paruses, December 03, 2021, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

I know some on here are software pros and do front end stuff so hoping you can help. I want to make a simple app to record electricity meter readings so would like a control that I can wind on like the dials on an old gas meter or a combination bike lock.

Can anyone tell me what that's called so I can google it to crib some code? It must exist. I am thinking of using kotlin as I can repurpose some tutorial code to get it working (all being well).

This is only a very simple thing for me to dick around with. I'm a data(base) person so interested in capturing the info (and then sending/storing it to various places e.g. some AWS free-tier shit).

I would ask on a specific forum but from the days when I used to do some Perl stuff those sorts of guys are often actively unhelpful arseholes with noob questions.

Ta.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

paruses

See - just wouldn't get that sort of thing on Perl Monks.

Edit - they're all Perl monks after....

olliebean

I thought it was called a spinner, but apparently, despite being a perfect name for what you describe, that's just another name for a drop-down menu. The dial thing is called a picker, but that also seems to refer to other methods for picking one of a number of options so I'm not sure how much help it will be.

Consignia

I think number picker is the correct one, specifically the way they get implemented on mobile devices: https://medium.com/@sc71/android-numberpickers-3ef535c45487 with scrolling boxes centering on your choice. One per decimal place, and some way of keeping each one % 10 . I think it'll be tricky to find something off the shelf styled as sort of combination lock, and most things of this will probably be more focused on touch based UIs. (I was having a quick google last night seeing if there was anything in the Material designs around this).

paruses

Thanks - I thought I'd replied to this but must have typed it out and then wandered off.

I think a spinner was not what I thought when I excitedly discovered it. The number picker thing looks more like what I am after - the styling was more my way of describing it since putting "combination" into google brought up combo box sort of results.

I'll give it a go - as I said it's a simple thing where I want to easily capture the reading, attach a date, and send it off somewhere so I'll try not to over complicate it all to start off.