Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Six

Started by Neil, March 18, 2005, 01:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You like it or not?

Shite
30 (17.9%)
Nyeh
19 (11.3%)
Average
37 (22%)
Good
59 (35.1%)
Brilliant
23 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 168

Voting closed: March 18, 2005, 11:29:33 PM

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Arrested Development, Look Around You, Curb Your Enthusiasm..

edit: because of Banana WoofWoof, Dead Man Weds.

That was a bloody great show. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Quote from: "mattc_187"Seriously, has anyone seen any better comedy on tele recently ?

Dead Man Weds
Help!
The Simpsons
Look Around You
Curb Your Enthuasiasm

to name a few.

Neil

Dead Man Weds was much much better.

weapon

The repeats of The Mighty Boosh on BBC2? But they're not quite as good as Nathan Barley... But yeah, I agree, some Morris is better than no Morris! And most recent TV is utter horrenous pain in a plastic sack.

Quote from: "weapon"And most recent TV is utter horrenous pain in a plastic sack.

Like the Mighty Boosh.

Wog Baspin

Quote from: "mattc_187"Seriously, has anyone seen any better comedy on tele recently ? maybe that say more about the quality of T.V comedy as a whole more than it does about N.B but i'd be interested to hear your thoughts

The automated Verbwhore response forgot;

Peep Show
Arrested Development

The Mumbler

Quote from: "mattc_187"Seriously, has anyone seen any better comedy on tele recently ? maybe that say more about the quality of T.V comedy as a whole more than it does about N.B but i'd be interested to hear your thoughts

Speaking only for myself: TV Burp (ITV1), 15 Storeys High (BBC3), The Mark Steel Lectures (BBC4), Look Around You (BBC2), Help (BBC2).  The last two are currently running, and urinate over Barley from a great height.  Both have excellent performances, proper and relevant attention to detail in the writing, effective direction and remember to be funny first and clever second.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Curb Your Enthusiasm on BBC 4 is almost inconceivably better than NB - funnier, more intelligent, more imaginative, more daring. It pisses on NB from Mount Olympus.

weapon

QuoteLike the Mighty Boosh.

=(

Neil

British wise Dead Man Weds and Look Around You are really all that springs to mind, but this is a Chris Morris project and people shouldn't be having to resort to arguements of the 'Well it was the best thing on at 10oclock on a Friday night on Channel 4 over the last 6 weeks!!' variety.  I thought Morris would have had a great sitcom in him.  Oh well, still got the latest episode of Arrested Development to watch.

The Mumbler

Forgot about Dead Man Weds.  Deserves a second run much more than Barley.

The Mumbler

Bollocking hell, and Peep Show.  

Jesus, the last few months almost ranks as a purple patch for the last few years in comedy.  Not that that's saying much.  Still, who'd have imagined Morris could ever have been this irrelevant?

Ah hell with it, let me add 'Monk' to the list too - funnier and more entertaining - and its not even a comedy as such.

Mentadent P

How much does it cost to make that computer game?

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Bollocking hell, and Peep Show.  

Jesus, the last few months almost ranks as a purple patch for the last few years in comedy.  Not that that's saying much.  Still, who'd have imagined Morris could ever have been this irrelevant?

Ah, of course Peep Show!  I'll resist another edit.  It is sad- I really hoped he'd come back with someone amazing that would be hilarious and brilliantly observed and this is it.  Six episodes of fuzz, nothing, making no point, not funny, not well-written, riddled with plot holes, empty characters, terrible direction- it's sad*.  Least it's over.  Hope the series 2 rumours were just the Zeppetron rumour mill grinding away.

*disappointing, depressing and all the rest.  My vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

weapon wrote:

QuoteBut yeah, I agree, some Morris is better than no Morris!

No, that's bollocks. I'd rather have a fantastic, Brass Eye-quality Morris show once every five years, than this dreadful shit he calls comedy being pumped out more regularly. Quality over quantity here. I reckon it's worth the wait, and in the meantime, there are a lot of other great British comedians and writers and their shows to watch.

knobhead

im glad  to hear it, for a second there i thought you ACTUALLY thought those programs were funny! And for the record i agree, never seen this before, and to be honest am not that bothered to have only caught the end based on the ranting on this site![/quote]

mattc_187

Well i have to agree
15 storeys High
Peep show (fantastic)
Simpsons (goes without saying)
Look around you (pretty poor)
Dead Man Weds (only saw the first episode and then missed the resy but very funny)

Not seen the rest of them but i'll take your word for it . I did mean "new" comedy rather than established programmes.  I'm not trying to be an argumentative twat here but i thought N.B was bad on direction but on the whole i thought it played out rather well after the last episode ... as much as Nathan was not a "cunt" you still wanted Dan to give him shit ... which we got ... yeah not classic Morris but then again how much of Day Today and Brasseye were "all" Morris ? Jam, which i love, is hardly laugh a minute and My Wrongs ... less said about that the better.
Maybe the man isn't that good on his own ... how many of us really know who writes what bits in programmes? Just my 2 pence ... like i said not wanting to arguee, but i was very happy with the final episode.

racingline

Good point about Linehan & Matthews & co. Today I heard that CB interview that was posted on another thread. He doesn't exactly sound impassioned and articulately angry. I mean, if you care enough about a subject to make an edgy sitcom satirising it, and are willing to do an interview promoting it, shouldn't you try to be as funny and/or interesting as you can be? I thought he soundedlike a bit of a cunt. I did used to like TVGoHome by the way, but screen burn fucks me off big time.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Ah hell with it, let me add 'Monk' to the list too - funnier and more entertaining - and its not even a comedy as such.

Ah, I like Monk.

Wiping his hand after shaking hands with a man who happened to be black, thats as good as a CYE situation!

NobodyGetsOutAlive

QuoteJam, which i love, is hardly laugh a minute

Am I the only one who doesn't think this?

After the 2nd episode of Nathan Barley went out I put on an episode of Jam and laughed my arse off. I've never quite understood this "it's not laugh-out-loud funny" argument.

mattc_187

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive"
QuoteJam, which i love, is hardly laugh a minute

Am I the only one who doesn't think this?

After the 2nd episode of Nathan Barley went out I put on an episode of Jam and laughed my arse off. I've never quite understood this "it's not laugh-out-loud funny" argument.

Don't get me wrong ... i love it ... just need to be in the right mood for it  ... yes it's funny but in a certain type of way ... just as i wouldn't watch 'Ichi the killer' when i'm in the mood for 'Anchor man'

Slackboy

Any chance of a poll on this episode please Mr Moderators? I think it would be interesting to see what the non-posters thought of it.

SPAMBOT

Quote from: "Slackboy"Any chance of a poll on this episode please Mr Moderators? I think it would be interesting to see what the non-posters thought of it.

((OKAY - ONE ADDED - THOUGH NEIL MIGHT HAVE LEFT IT OFF FOR A REASON IN WHICH CASE IM SURE HE'LL REMOVE IT AGAIN))
--spambot--

mayer

I only saw the last 10 minutes, and thought it was the best bit of NB I've seen, apart from er, the cat bit. It still wasn't good though.

Er...

Has anyone yelled "he's doing the phone and do embarassing stuff like in the Radio One shows!" yet?

If not

"he's doing the phone and do embarassing stuff like in the Radio One shows!"

EDIT: I voted average, cos, based on the 10 minutes I saw, I thought it was, well, average.

Neil

Ta SPAMBOT, I added a few more options there.

Quote from: "Neil"Ta SPAMBOT, I added a few more options there.

Add, "Ballacks!"

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

There was no real mystery about the ending was there? Nathan had used the footage from Dan's gunman prank for his pilot, and had got a groggy, post-coma Dan to sign some kind of release form. That was it wasn't it? It was hardly Patrick McGoohan seeing a monkey in a mirror.

There was a 'Why are you reading this you saddoes?' message on the kebab shop police notice. I'd love to know whether these digs are affectionate or not. I mean, what's sadder - me pausing the video to read them, or Morris and Brooker creating them in the first place?

The only bit I chuckled at was the TV exec exclaiming about his drenched suit: 'This was made for me by Gavin Plemmy!'

Wog Baspin

I know its being mentioned a million times already about how bad a director Morris is, but jesus christ the extra-extra-shaky-shaky cam for Dan on the street talking to Nathan is just pathetic. Morris/Brooker have been really patronising to their audience the whole way though the series.

If it ever gets a DVD realease im sure we will have a special, optional on-screen assistant for the 'hard-of-understanding' pointing out who the "Idiots" are, and when exactly Dan feels stress under his burgeoning agony of being a complete numpty.

-"Its a visual metaphor y'see! What's happening is Dan is beginning to have a breakdown, yeah, so the shaky, instability of the camera is just like his brain-insides!"

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Why did nothing happen with the Dave Stewart character by the way? His constant reappearances suggested he was somehow relevant to plot arc, but he just sort of petered out really.